It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Work Ethics and Current Society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Work Ethics and Current Society

I initially was looking for the rant section on the ATS board, but was unable to find it? So im putting this in general conspiracies as I strongly believe it to be one.
In our society work is, for many, a reality of having to live, having to feed themselves and their families in order to carry on, keep a roof over your head and clothing on your back..I know others have said this over the years, but it does truly seem to have been engineered to be exactly that way, otherwise the PTB don't get their taxes, or the control over the people registered into the work force to begin with. This is going back some ways into our past, but its not so distant as to be invisible, work used to be work on ones own land and home, keeping livestock, gardens, fruit trees, etc..to feed themselves, sell at a small village market place or use the barter system with surrounding neighbors.
But now, that isnt at all the case..now people are expected to work at often mind numbing jobs in factories or offices, far too many people wake each day and begrudgingly go to a job they hate doing, but are stuck in this system. Some make it out, working for ones self does help in ways, as does taking the leap to change life for what a person really wishes to do with their life..but in most instances this is far easier said than done and not everyone can do so for innumerable reasons. Its become more and more apparent to me over these past couple of years that far too many employers, especially any kind of franchise but also private business owners, expect their workers to make that job their life. Despite any life or family situations. America was terrible for this when living there, but the UK is better in only certain areas of this. I know people that have to travel far distances from their families for a job they most likely wish they werent doing in the first place..work over takes people, some can not fathom life without a job, usually stating something like 'I wouldnt know what to do with myself'! Some people are away from their children, spouses and loved ones for weeks at a time due to their work obligations, couples divorce and break up the family unit because of their partner, knowingly or unknowingly, chosing work over them. The amount of people over the past years who have taken their own life over financial issues is saddening beyond words, for anyone to commit suicide all over something (money) that doesnt matter outside of our programmed societies..and doesnt really exist even.
I see zombies when I go to places like London or NYC..so very many of them rushing to and fro, carrying breif cases and mobiles, stressed out and discontent even if they dont address it, its written on their faces and impressioned in their eyes.
There are those who choose to have a career instead of a job, usually resulting in longer hours and harder work, which then takes over the persons life. There are those without family or loved ones who work simply because they have to, some that never take a sick day, never would dare standing up to bully boss types in fear of making waves, or losing their job all together if they do not just do what their told and shut up. I am not saying all employers are this way nor that all people submit their lives in this way, but a recent event really made me think. My partner was meant to be going on a course for work for three nights, and as we spoke about it, he made the statement 'theres nothing I can do about it' which is what got my mind going..his employers (a well known business and not privately run so much) expected him to go away for that length of time in his own time, to do a course that isnt needed and take away that much personal time from him from his family or the threat of being fired is always there. The PTB want unthinking slaves. work, eat, tv, sleep, repeat.
it doesnt leave much room for much else.
(cont next)-

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
A rant, yes..but its a huge part of our known world and many just accept it as natural and normal..yet it isnt.
I would be very interested to hear thoughts on this or any experiences with such employers you might like to share..
Many thanks in advance.

-Tessa

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think your looking at it the wrong way.

Companies want the best possible employees. No one wants a worker who will take 3 weeks of vacation and 3 weeks sick. So to you it might seem crazy that they are asking them to work in this way but its survival of the fittest.

I worked for a well known wireless provider. I had to complete an 8 hour online course in a weekend and had to spend my first week in unpaid training.

It was ridiculous, but worth it. I knew what I wanted and i achieved it.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by corruptedtesssa

Heres my thoughts, get a job.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

This should probably be posted in the social issues forum. I do believe that someone has brainwashed society to accept longer hours, reduced benefits, pay wages that do not go up over time, and to rat out fellow co-workers in order to get ahead. Every company I have worked for is generally not ran by the boss, although he thinks he is running it. It is usually ran by some group of people within the job that collectively corner the market of promotion positions. In this way workplaces have become battle grounds for average people to fight for the next higher position. Many would lie, cheat and steal to earn get a promotion. Many would not speak the truth and instead say what ever the majority thinks.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr. Strange

Of course companies want the best workers, and when working the person should give the company they are with their full concentration. For the times they sign up for (9:00 -5:00 for example) No employer should expect any of their workers to make the job their life..

I too have done unpaid training, though in a major hospital i worked for for a few years before moving out of the country, and that was fine, it was experience i was after, this is different, He is not in training for his job and hes been to the courses needed for certain licenses etc..during thework day not 3 nights of personal time.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

I thank you for those ...'thoughts'..i have worked for a number of years in places thanks..so im not entirely ignorant of the work force and apologies if my post is misleading and indicates that i am an unexperienced slacker lol

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Aah a good point on the correct forum this should be in, sorry Mods!
And i do agree that there seems to be a certain, thoughtless, exhausted stupor (again, no not everyones caught in this) many people do come across as entirely brainwashed into this concept..not to mention, over working people is a great way to keep them nicely busy, quiet, out of the way and not thinking for themselves or asking too many questions about the world.
But then again its simple herd mentality itself..
Thank you for your imput on this..

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Managers are trained to manipulate their workers.

Their goal is to maximize shareholders' wealth.

When I listen to people talk about work, I always hear them back stabbing their co-workers.

What they don't realize is that the managers like it this way. The manager in turn is their best friend, even though he works them like dogs.

It's really sad that there's no loyalty anymore.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Well thanks for clearing that up to be honest, cause thats sorta how it comes across as some preachy rant about the evils of work because some angsty teenager basicaly cant get there # together and make something with there life.

To be honest the only real advice i can give you and it helps me, is to focus on the things you truly enjoy in life, and use work, doesnt matter what it is, simply as a means to an end to further that enjoyment. Ive taken a lot of brutal jobs, jobs that would pretty much break most people, continual 12, 16 hour shifts, every day for months on end doing manual labour in bad bad places.

The upside for me is, when i do put the hours in and i do have some spare time i can basicaly walk into any garage of my choosing and buy a brand new 600cc hyper sports bike and travel the country for a while.

I can understand what your sayin, about people looking like zombies, personaly im not too sure its there work[though it doesnt help] But more that they dont realy know what ELSE to do in there life apart from work.

Of course if your one of the lucky few whos passions in life can coincide with a job, go for it. Sometimes its just as easy[or not] as that.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Incubus2

This is by far the biggest thing I miss about working for employers. I used to be loyal to my employer...even when they did something wrong they admitted it and corrected the problem. There has been a gradual decline in loyalty. Employers would now lie to their employees, as long as it is good for business. They would now rather do something wrong and lie about how wrong it was to protect their liability, then fire someone who would expose their lie. With the down-turned economy now in play employers are becoming fascist in a sense, openly telling employees they do not care about them, that they need to produce or they will be replaced.

I wish all employers had to state who they were before being hired, as this would be important in a free economy. If the employer is a low-down rotten employer they should state so when interviewing an employee.

ATTENTION EMPLOYEES: Our company does not care about you, your life, or what you do so long as you produce and make our owners rich. If you so much as think of rocking our boat you will be dismissed without reason, or a reason we will contrive that will appear legal. We view those who get along as leaders. Those who do not question as leaders. Those who present themselves in a falsified manner, as leaders. We promote based on lack of thinking. If you have personal issues like harassing women at work, or being slightly intoxicated at work and you produce we will come to your aide firing anyone who makes an allegation about you. You owe your life to us, and we will take away any sense of life you have if you cross us. You have been placed on notice that you will be fired if you ever speak up and say the truth.

**This policy replaces the current policy that we care about our employees and view them as our greatest asset.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnze

Thank you, seriously for your reply Johnze, and i did not mean for this to come across as 'angsty pointless teens' which i know the exact type you speak of..but honestly its through various jobs over the years -and one of those jobs included digging through frozen wet nasty marshland for Leeks (the spring onion type plant for anyone reading this who may not know, at least thats the name i always have known them by)! and knee deep in extremely cold mud subtance in order to provide something for those i love respected and lived with was one of he more challenging and low paying job i have had.. they were sold to television cooking shows for pennies really, but it was enough. I am not afraid of hard work, not in the least, but i cant agree with the way that many things have gone by now..and as other ATS members have pointed out, there used to be a certain loyalty and i do see what they mean, and they are right that apart from a few rare places at this time that kind of loyality and devotion to a business is not only needless, but also unwanted by many anymore, and i just dont understand how the masses simply accept this today, even those who see through other lies of society can not or will not see through this. No i am not working currently outside of the home, my partner and I chose the 'old fashioned' route of life with a child where my responsibilities include raising our son to be a decent human where in life there seems to be fewer and fewer of these days, but not yet extinct! i tend to the house and gardens and happily so..but its a temporary position in a way, as children grow oh so quickly. and i cant simply accept others views that i should work outside the home for now and pass my delightful Aries boy onto a daycare worker that none of us know..
Apologies, its late here and i am rambling.. but will check back in the morning in case this thread doesnt end its own life right here lol..

i wish all reading this a good evening (or day depending on where you are)! And please know im not a daft hopeless teen, i have been able to watch things progress between two major countries over the past years and it feels very, very wrong to me. I was simply looking to see of others experiences in their life concerning this..

new topics

top topics

join