It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FEDS: No charges in School Laptop Spying Case

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

PHILADELPHIA — Federal prosecutors will not file charges against a school district or its employees over the use of software to remotely monitor students. U.S. Attorney Zane David Memeger says investigators have found no evidence of criminal intent by Lower Merion School District employees who activated tracking software that took thousands of webcam and screenshot images on school-provided laptops. A student and his family sued the district in February, claiming officials invaded his privacy by activating the software. That case continues. The district has acknowledged capturing 56,000 screen shots and webcam images so it could locate missing laptops.

Huffington Post Article

Im sure, many of you remember this case from a while back. If not, here are a few threads from when this story initially broke:

School Spy Laptops "Took Thousands...
Cover Your Webcam!

This whole thing makes me sick. We have body scanners at the airports that have the capability of saving and sending pictures. Now, schools are giving kids laptops to use, but then monitoring them after hours, taking pictures while the kids have no idea they are being watched, then a federal attorney decides its ok!!?!? Am I missing something here?

I understand the reasoning behind the whole tracking thing, they dont want their computers stolen. Thats fine. But why take over 50,000 pictures and save them? Doesn't that sound like a perverts dream come true? Not only can you watch kids without them knowing from the comfort of your home or office, but you can track their location, and even save pictures of them?

I think about all the times when I have my laptop open and Im walking around the house in my boxers.... or when my girlfriend sits in the bath and watches her Sex And The City Dvds on her computer. We are adults, so I suppose it wouldnt be as heinous if we found that someone had been watching us. But, suppose your little girl or boy is chatting with a friend online, and decides to change clothes, or even just sit there in their underwear in the privacy of their room. Meanwhile some creepy guy who works at their school is sitting at his desk snapping pictures or doing god knows what else.... It makes me sick how privacy is quickly becoming a thing of the past, and all for the sake of "security."

If you ask me, all these things do is raise the probability of you being the victim of a pervert (or perverts), and to what end?

[edit on 17-8-2010 by WhiteDevil013]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I agree. It's such an invasion of privacy.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteDevil013

So does that mean that federal prosecuters are ok with people taking nude/semi nude pictures of minors?

Where the hell is Chris Hanson when you need him?!?!?!

MOTF!

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This will just play out one civil case at a time. The decision not file charges is very disturbing and is probably a sign of things to come. Schools are issuing laptops left and right these days. All Freshmen at my local High school are now issued computers that they keep for four years with the option to buy.

No telling what type of software/spy-ware is loaded onto these things. The schools will be privy to a gold mine personal info and data. Potentially! I don't think the Feds want to establish precedent.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
How is secretly monitoring hundreds of students not wiretapping, yet this is...

Maryland cops arrest man for posting video of an overly aggressive traffic stop.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

An individual in the US state of Maryland is facing felony charges for filming and posting online a video of an aggressive unmarked police officer pulling him over for speeding.

Anthony Garber was pulled over while on his motorcycle by a non-uniformed police officer driving an unmarked car. The officer got out of his car, pulled his gun and aggressively approached Garber before identifying himself as state police. Garber recorded the incident with a camera that was attached to the top of his motorcycle helmet and posted it on YouTube.

new topics

top topics

join