It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In "their" country I can't.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
An often heard refrain on ATS these days.

The problem is this - its crap.

Its not about "their" country. Its about yours. You don't live in "their country"

Simply, you can exercise your basic right to visit "their" country or not. In "their" country they have rules, regulations and laws that "they" expect you to respect, and if you can't respect those laws, then you really shouldn't be visiting that country at all, should you? (Americans should not carry guns in Britain, and will be arrested if they do - think about it....)

And yes, your country has rules - all countries do. Anyone who comes to your country should respect those rules. And if your country has rules that allow freedom of expression, and freedom of religion, freedom to dress and express and you choose then - really - you shouldn't be suprised when people do just those things, because they can, because the rules allow them to. After all, you do just the same in your own country don't you? Its massively hypocritcial to condem someone doing something you take for granted as a "right".

And then you may need to ask yourself this - what do you want your country to be? Do you want it to be a place that excludes people because you don't like who they are, how they look, how they pray?

If so, who sets the grounds for exclusion?

And how far to you want the people who do set the grounds for exclusion to go?

And what if, suddenly, you become one of the people to be excluded?

Exclusion is a slippery slope.

Be careful what you wish for.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Well said Neformore...

I'm British, but living in a middle eastern country at the moment and it's Ramadan.. I have local friends and wouldn't even think of eating or drinking in public or around them while they fast. While not Illeagal here, it is in many muslim countries. Point is :-

"when in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Altho I have to admit.. not having had any BEER or BACON for months is getting harder by the day

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I am a libertarian. I wasn't always so. When it was first pointed out to me that my ideals most reflected this party..well lets say it's been a long road of self discovery.

I am also a soldier, and have been most of my adult life. Bringing these two things together was actually much easier than anticipated. It has to do with a lot of dissent.

Dissent is one of the higher forms of reasoning. So no matter if it's "a mosque at ground zero" or "bible thumpin' haters at a fellow vet's funeral" I have come to cherish all forms of dissent. It means at least someone is still thinking for themselves, for one thing.
So even though there are occasions where I would love nothing more than to put a bullet to some of the folk who royally piss me off by what they say or do, I have to take a step back and realize that they are putting their (insert god of your choice) given liberties to good use.

That no matter how much I disagree with them, or what they are saying and doing, they have as much right to do so as I do. That it is this very quality in my countrymen that is the reason why - regardless of the current purpose the government sets me to - I have chosen to be the last line of defense against tyranny....this is why I do what I do; why I am who I am.

Simply put, because if no one was willing to do and say things that I hate......If everyone always agreed on everything through means of force.....Then what liberty would there be to defend?

join