It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Better Way to Keep the Net Open and Accessible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
nytimes.com

Across much of Europe, consumers can choose among dozens of broadband providers, offering faster and less expensive Internet access than is available to most Americans. The situation is similar in Australia and in some advanced broadband markets in Asia, like Hong Kong and Singapore. Consumers who are unhappy with their broadband providers — if, for example, they suspect that their Internet use is not getting priority treatment — can simply switch.

In the United States, by contrast, many consumers can choose between only two broadband providers — one offering service over the phone lines, the other via cable. Others have no choice at all. U.S. regulators, unlike their counterparts elsewhere, have not generally required broadband providers to open their networks to competitors.

This fuels suspicions about the intentions of broadband providers, as well as the demands for network neutrality.

I've been saying this all along. Net neutrality, they're going to limit our free speech and shut down access to certain sites... well... where's the competition? Why not just switch to a provider who won't do that? We have no competition. That's why in other "less developed" countries they pay way less money for way more speed. Although I don't feel it's right to block access to anything if you're an internet provider, I don't think it's right for government to tell them what they can and cannot provide access to. Competition is where it all lies, we need more internet providers! Thoughts? Opinions?

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I am not IT in the least but I was reading something awhile back about Short Wave radio channels that could some how provide some kind of service. Maybe it was just in a emergency ,I am not sure .I am up north and there was talk about a new player coming into the Canadian market but I haven't heard anything lately .Good luck finding out and I will follow this to learn more. peace

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to our new Nation Broadband Network!! 100mega-bits to 1giga-bits per second - Woo!

But I think it should be government owned infrastructure - as soon as money and competition becomes involved inequalities begin to appear.

new topics

join