It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Increasing the tax on the rich to get out of a depression?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish
It's people that make businesses successful

Exactly.

Isn't it hilarious when people say that we need big business to give us jobs?

In truth big business needs people to make big business big.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Fair question.

I don't think that taking away their money and giving it to someone else is the reason for the economic growth experienced during that time period.

The exorbitant tax rate probably had it's leveling effect in another way; The rich kept less of their profits and gave more of it to their employees, thus providing them with a living wage.

With the tax rate so high, it made more sense to use the company's profits to keep the employees happy and pay them enough to spend on the economy. Well paid employees kept the economy moving and America prospered.

With the advent of lowering the top tax rate, it became profitable again for the rich to keep the lion's share of the companies earnings and the income gap soared. Economic stagnation followed in the wake of the destruction of the middle class.

A strong economy needs a strong middle class, the world can't keep turning on just the wealth of the top 1%. The system was bound to fail once unlimited greed was allowed to take over the marketplace.

Thinking of it this way, I'm all for bringing back the 90% top tax rate.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Here's a good example of what I'm talking about. I've not done a YouTube video before, so let's see what happens:

new topics

<< 1   >>

join