It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manners!

page: 1

join
share:
arc

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 05:47 AM
link   
It seems as if too many people on this board have forgotten how to have adult and non-abusive debate. I have seen insults cast back and forth, seen arguments won by force instead of reasoning, people who have given up trying to put their point across as no matter how intelligent their ideas someone will lay into them for being anti-amercian, anti-christian, anti-anything.

I was under the perhaps misguided impression that the take back ATS campaign was an attempt on behalf of the admin team to restore a little maturity and order to the forum? I must have been mistaken

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Yes I have insulted, but I can't help it when the minds of men are weak and unable to maintain or even hold back their thoughts if they feel they might offend others. So it is like respect, if you want it you will give it. I hate the Antiness of everything. The only problem is the Antiness is everything and everywhere. That makes me almost a contradicting fool for hating the world and the mind of men. Minds of men that are diluted with hate and greed. Pride has alot to do with many people's ablity to relate to one another. That ideal, couldn't be more true today. So I love but it's hard when all your love is hated.

[Edited on 13-3-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
As usual, you deliever a balanced and logical point of view Arc. I've voiced these arguments and name calling between fellow members in the past & sought in inject a logical, accepting and peaceful vibe.

Hey all, let's grow up and allow / tolerate other's points of view. Life isn't lived in the bubble of our own subjective experiences or values.

Debate is just that, a discussion of different points of view, seeking deeper understanding and appreciation about any issue. Adult behaviour is mature enough to handle other's opinions without becoming incensed, as though it's a statement about who we are as individuals.

Besides, if we're able to set aside our own beliefs and biases - we may actually learn something and grow as a person.

Is anyone here familiar with the concept of phenomenology?

Food for Thought,
Deep

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
[Edited on 13-3-2003 by deepwaters]

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepwaters
Is anyone here familiar with the concept of phenomenology?

Food for Thought,
Deep

I have no idea what it is but I would be happy to listen if you would like to explain it.

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   
K_OS, thanks for your question.

Phenomenology is a philosophical concept of simply observing human experiences, whilst suspending personal opinions & biases. I would use phenomenology to see and learn how other's perceive and interact with their environment, from within their frame of reference - not my own.

So...if someone were to say something to me that appears odd at first, I would try to suspend my judgement and seek understanding of where that person is coming from. By understanding how they see the world and considering their beliefs, I am able to gain a deeper appreciation of why and how they see things as they do. It helps me to be more accepting and appreciative of people as being the unique individuals that they are. I may learn something new, develop a deeper appreciation of them as a human being and possibly grow as an individual myself.

Pheonmenological concepts contribute to what's known as the "Third Force" or Humanistic approach to psychology & counselling.

All the Best,
Deep

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   
It seems as if too many people on this board have forgotten how to have adult and non-abusive debate.Posted by Arc

Highly agree. I can agree to disagree with anyone, but don't be a jerk about things (I am not mentioning names....)

posted on Mar, 14 2003 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thanks a bunch deepwaters. That deffinetly seems a good way to look at life as well. Step back and see it from anothers perspective.
I'll have to give this some thought and trials. I agree it could be an excellent way of learning.

join