It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World on course for hottest year since 1880

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Athink

www.telegraph.co.uk

The world is on course for the hottest year since records began in 1880 after record-breaking temperatures in four of the first six months of the year, according to meteorologists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

So its going to be the hotest year SINCE 1880. WOW I wonder if they introduced Cap & Trade in the 1800's to combat the heat lol

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by coffeesniffer

www.telegraph.co.uk

The world is on course for the hottest year since records began in 1880 after record-breaking temperatures in four of the first six months of the year, according to meteorologists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

So its going to be the hotest year SINCE 1880. WOW I wonder if they introduced Cap & Trade in the 1800's to combat the heat lol

Thats when accurate recordings commenced - so basically its the hottest year on record.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nathan-D

Originally posted by hippomchippoThe majority of the world believes in climate change due to the increase in temperature that correlates to co2 output, so, please let's see your debunking.

Really? Any mass surveys done? When did we vote? Did I miss it?

Yes they have done surveys - thousands - you probably missed them like all the other research which has put the issue at a probability of 97% certainty - consider that they put the sun coming up tomorrow at around 90% certainty I think we can say its a sure thing.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This debate is so hilarious. The Earth's temps go up and down in natural cycles that have nothing to do with the inhabitants of the planet. Did the dinosaurs cause the ice age?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
two questions for the Global Warming believers.

1. When will global warming kill us all, or have a large affect on our lives?

2. What is your proposed fix and how long will it take?

If you can't answer both of those, perhaps you should stop trying to convince the nonbelievers and work on a solution. I mean, the non believers are only like 10% of the population according to a previous poster. take your 90% and go fix it. let us know when you are done. We'll be right here.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by network dude]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Gotta love all the statistics being banded about lmao

97% this
60% that
32% the other

all I know is this planet is 100% F***ed (in human terms) and that has nothing to do with CO2 and everything to do with the human condition. Too many problems and zero hope of fixing any of them. Right, back to my cornflakes.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
two questions for the Global Warming believers.

1. When will global warming kill us all, or have a large affect on our lives?

2. What is your proposed fix and how long will it take?

If you can't answer both of those, perhaps you should stop trying to convince the nonbelievers and work on a solution. I mean, the non believers are only like 10% of the population according to a previous poster. take your 90% and go fix it. let us know when you are done. We'll be right here.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by network dude]

You are feeling it now - in 2005 30,000 people died as a result of a heatwave from global warming.

Stop burning fossil fuels.

CHeers.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
This debate is so hilarious. The Earth's temps go up and down in natural cycles that have nothing to do with the inhabitants of the planet. Did the dinosaurs cause the ice age?

The natural cycle of ice ages is caused by earths variation in orbit - we are in a non- circular orbit. As we move closer to the sun we enter, and leave ice ages. There is also a WOBBLE in our orbit which also causes smaller more frequent dips and rises in temperatures. These can combine. We were expected to be heading into a cooler period - hence all the hysteria in the 70's, however what is most alarming is that despite being in an expected cooler period we are getting hotter.

Outside of this there are other phenomena which cause heating - such as India colliding with the European continent which caused the hottest spike on record as far as the data goes back.

Thats why we have the cycles - hope its clear.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aristophrenia
Yes they have done surveys - thousands - you probably missed them like all the other research which has put the issue at a probability of 97% certainty - consider that they put the sun coming up tomorrow at around 90% certainty I think we can say its a sure thing.

If I've missed them, do you mind naming any of these mass surveys? And I don't think you'll get many people agreeing with you that the science behind AGW is a 97% certainty. If it was such an open and shut case as you'd like to have people believe, there wouldn't be 30,000 scientists, 9000 with PhDs challenging the theory, together with a massive 750 peer-reviewed papers. I can tell you one thing for nothing - over here in the UK support for AGW has waned since ClimateGate.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
maybe the sun is gonna scorch us all to death. venus could maybe be the next habitable planet, and someday some guy with a telescope is gonna be like i see a pyramid on earth, and everyone is gonna be like nah dummy earth is a red dry crappy planet with no water, and so on and so on...

[edit on 27-7-2010 by 2weird2live2rare2die]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

According to NASA, 2010 is on course to be the planet's hottest year since records started in 1880. The current top 10, in descending order, are: 2005, 2007, 2009, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2004, 2001 and 2008.

give me a break, but this list does not include 1934, when it actually should:

see

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Four of the top 10 years of US CONUS high temperature deviations are now from the 1930s: 1934, 1931, 1938 and 1939, while only 3 of the top 10 are from the last 10 years (1998, 2006, 1999). Several years (2000, 2002, 2003, 2004) fell well down the leaderboard, behind even 1900.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance
those are figures for ConUS. Those 1930s figures sound like the dust bowl years to me. High particulate levels in the air. Maybe all the burning of oil and spraying of toxic chemicals in the Gulf will re-create such conditions.

Possible.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Nathan-D

If I've missed them, do you mind naming any of these mass surveys?

The one done in 2009 by Peter Doran from UIC is where the 97% figure comes from:

It found that the more a persons actual knowledge and education about climate change increases, the higher the consensus becomes over human-caused global warming being real.

So while only slightly more than 50% of the general public believe it's real, this number jumps to around 90% once you survey actual climatologists. The figure then goes all the way up to 97% when you ask climatologists who specifically study and publish on climate change itself.

Source

This explains a lot.

The 50% figure explains why there's so much noise over climate change being a hoax, while the reality is completely different.

For example - the people constantly running around ATS so sure of themselves that it's not a big deal because "climate change is a natural cycle" are the ones who don't have the slightest clue what they're talking about. They think the answer is so obvious, but they never bother to consider the fact that in real science you don't just get by with a simple observation - you also need an explanation of that observation.

Previous examples of natural changes like ice ages have satisfactory explanations - usually rooted in orbital variations of the Earth. In the case of the extreme warming of the last century, and particularly that of the last 30-40 years - there is NO explanation other than human influence. All those insinuations that it's "because of the Sun" have been thoroughly debunked by the people who actually study this stuff. So anyone still trying to tell you this phantom claim either:

a) once again doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

or

b) is deliberately trying to decieve you.

So the 90% figure then explains why most of the other 10% so-called "experts" trying to tell you there is no consensus are usually just glorified fame-seeking weathermen like Anthony Watts or John Coleman who have no real training or understanding of the science. Coleman by the way is responsible for the "32,000 scientists against global warming" propaganda, which I'm sorry to tell you is itself a complete HOAX.

There are no 30,000 scientists and 9000 PhD's. Anyone who wants to can add their name to that fake list. The truth is that every time these people try this sort of sh** with real scientists they completely embarass themselves. So all they have left are lies and denier statements pushed out by Big Oil funded think tanks that are repeatedly proven to be the real scam.

What you have left is the 97% of real climate change experts who affirm the reality of human caused global warming. And if you seriously think these people are all lying because of "Climategate" start understanding that in fact Climategate itself was (surprise, surprise!) nothing but a complete hoax.

There have been 3 independent investigations now done into the matter which all exonerated the scientists involved. All these stories you heard about "hiding the decline" were just deliberately out of context soundbites that have since been thoroughly debunked.

Virtually everything you've heard about this "scandal" has come from right wing mainstream media or denier funded blogs that are deliberately trying to exploit your paranoia over climate change. So stop listening to the scammers and start protecting yourself by denying ignorance.

More reading:

Conservative media hype misleading report suggesting CRU destroyed raw climate data
The Real Hoax Was Climategate
Newspapers Retract 'Climategate' Claims, but Damage Still Done
The Consensus on Global Warming: From Science to Industry & Religion

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
funny isn't it, burning creating using massive amounts of carbon is actually good for the planet because it creates goddamn oxygen, forests EAT carbon and give out oxygen, so when you fart the tree eats converts the co2 and releases oxygen.

read more here
en.wikipedia.org...

Carbon exists in the Earth's atmosphere primarily as the gas carbon dioxide (CO2). Although it is a small percentage of the atmosphere (approximately 0.04% on a molar basis), it plays a vital role in supporting life

can we say carbon credits

[edit on 27-7-2010 by aspx]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

People should have to read your post before they say something in this topic.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by aspx

Do you know what this is:

It's a graph showing the accumulating amount of CO2 in our atmosphere since we started measuring it in the 1950's.

So if it's accumulating: those forests that are apparently supposed to save us and produce "goddam oxygen" aren't exactly doing their job now are they?

Meanwhile the planet continues to get warmer - causing droughts, forest fires, pine beetle infestations, etc that pile onto the already massive amounts of deforestation we're responsible for - and only further exacerbate the problem while in fact releasing even more CO2 into the atmosphere.

The whole "CO2 is good for us" thing is just yet another red-herring, irrelevant piece of propaganda that detracts from the real heart of the global warming issue: the fact that we are completely upsetting the natural balance of the Earth and totally destroying it in the process.

Vitamins are good for you too right? Go swallow an entire bottle of Centrum every day and see what happens to you.**

**for legal reasons I should probably add a disclaimer: DON'T ACTUALLY DO IT.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Whyhi

Thanks

That's all I ask - is for people to properly educate themselves on this issue and both sides of the story before they go spouting off on where the supposed conspiracy lies.

Instead they all seem to make up their minds first, and then get really defensive and go into flat out denial when you start to show them how much they've been lied to.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi

The earth's temperature goes up and down as a result of energy imbalance. Many things can cause an imbalance. Right now the imbalance is being caused by man-made CO2 emissions.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nathan-D
If I've missed them, do you mind naming any of these mass surveys? And I don't think you'll get many people agreeing with you that the science behind AGW is a 97% certainty. If it was such an open and shut case as you'd like to have people believe, there wouldn't be 30,000 scientists, 9000 with PhDs challenging the theory, together with a massive 750 peer-reviewed papers. I can tell you one thing for nothing - over here in the UK support for AGW has waned since ClimateGate.

97.5% of actively-publishing climatologists think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures.

Answer to the question "Do you think human activity is a significant contributing factor in changing mean global temperatures?"

Of the 31,000 "scientists" who signed the OISM petition stating "there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of carbon dioxide will, in the forseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere," only 37 were actual climatologists. Also, their qualifications on what is a "scientist" were excessively broad. They included things like nuclear engineers, medical doctors, and metallurgists. That these people had no particular knowledge of climate science is not surprising.

The fact is, the more you know about climate science, the more likely you are to believe in AGW.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
We had an unusually cold and snowy winter in the south this year. Followed by heavy spring rains and a couple of back-to-back tornado ridden weekends, so I was expecting a hot summer. Started getting into the 90 degrees in May and has pretty much stayed there ever since. It just happens every so often, but I really don't mind the heat. I prefer the heat over the cold, any day.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join