It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's an app for that

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

This is not the first military iPhone application from the US military defence contractor.

At the end of 2009, Raytheon said it would develop a suite of combat apps that would make the iPhone a suitable tool for use in a war zone.

At the time, the firm said it would work on an app called One Force Tracker that would use GPS and cellular networks to track the position of friendly troops on the battlefield; there would also be the possibility to track enemy targets, although it remains to be seen how that would be achieved.

A spokesman for Raytheon said that particular app was still in the concept phase and was a "long way off" becoming operational.

The concept of using smartphones as battlefield tools has been growing in military circles.

iPhone Military Apps

I think this is a bad idea. With all of the hackers and theifs stealing iPhones and the info in them, the last thing we need is criminals and terrorists getting their hands on apps that teach about military equipment.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
i'm surprised the military doesn't just get apple to create a device especially for them that works on a special platform other then unix, linux. They should be concerned about encryption and being hacked, for sure...

maybe the secret spies walking around our countires scoping us black sheeple out in the "civilian zones" would use iphones to spy, but i think a military-grade device would better suffice for battlefield apps and the like...

although, using modified civilian iphones is not out of the question; so long as they have some heavy duty encription

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Already been done. Certain British forces have had this for at least 2 years. I have seen them and they ain't no crappy iPhones either.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I know that there are a few apps for shooting that some troops use in the field. Use it to calculate bullet drop, etc.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I know the Brits have had it for awhile and their beefed and hardened design is very good. The ecryption side is not a problem and has been used with more bulkier and slower hand held devices currantly in use by some US forces already. The apps along with integration is the only hurddle left to being able to field workable models rather quickly in the field. The big break throughs in battle field tech will come with the development of better, longer lasting and more compact batteries.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Birddog26]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I love the fact that the military is getting on board and trying to use the iphone to run military apps,yet they still can't get it to make a decent phone call.

Go figure.

King

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Birddog26[/url]

Not necessary to wait for longer lasting batteries, my friend. What I saw was next generation moblies with built in solar or photovoltaic charging cells which worked even, apparently, in very low light.

Kingalbrect79, how else do you think they can get sky to mud on tap and so quickly?

Built in crypto does all that in seconds and each handset identifies the owner and gives an exact LocStat, so no more friendly fire incidents, especially when they use their magic pens!

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

now all they need is an AP that can launch a nuclear strike
and the world leaders who have a nuclear arsenal at their finger tips will be truely sorted

new topics

top topics

join