It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is actually an advanced theological spiritual technique

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I feel like Im saying this for the millionth time. The great thinkers in old Rome warned about boxing ideas and labels because it would undoubtedly stunt our growth as a race and a society and could have a bad outcome for all of us. Boxing idea's does not let your own perceptions about your experience expand you just buy a truth that you feel comfortable with that negates the truth of reality.

Open mindedness is the key to fully understanding your purpose here.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

There is a very big difference you know.

When an atheist doesn't have a clou he does not say that some deity is responsible. Which is IMO the whole point of athiest existence.

Believers tend to place their responsibilities as well as the unknown at a deity.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus

For example any belief you have is just that, a belief which consists of thoughts, ideas, concepts, and is all relative and subjective. Based on that ....concepts, thoughts, and ideas are not concrete. They are instead representations of what might or might not be actual.

one gets rid of all beliefs of everything. Its actually quite ingenious because if there really is a God and is unlimited, any thought or belief you have about this being, limits the actual being to a limited thought, belief, concept, idea.

One goes further however, and completely dismisses all of One's own subjective and relative beliefs about all things. That I even exist, that I am human, that I live on a planet, that I am a male. These all of course are also relative and subjective concepts, labels, and ideas.

What eventually results is a sort of explosion of logic, reason, the mind itself into a kind of going beyond all things into a transcendence that leaves the person in a state of being, of objectivity, of what some would say the direct experience of God.

Interesting post OP. I agree with the above quotes you posted because i have actually experienced them for myself. I won't go into it here as I've already made a thread about my experiences which you can read about here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

However i disagree that Atheism is an advanced spiritual practice firstly because of the lack of spirituality in Atheism; but also i see Atheism as another form of religion; except they've swapped god for science and spirituality for logic and what the 5 senses are able to perceive. Atheists (just like followers of religion do with the founder(s) of their religion) believe on blind faith what scientists tell them is true without question. Which is silly because there is no guarantee that what science says is anymore truthful than what religions say.

Like for example, back in the 1950's, scientists and doctors said that cigarettes were good for your nerves and overall health. Now look what has happened because of it. millions have died due to cigarette induced illnesses.

But all i am saying is that with any theory, belief or philosophy that you have to take it with a pinch of salt. Because it is impossible to know anything with absolute certainty anyway. XD

[edit on 16-7-2010 by orrite??]

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Ah, the sublime state of being also known as nihilism. IMO, it is the most important and dangerous phase of a person's spiritual evolution. If one is steadfast and resolves to walk through the abyss...on the other side lies redemption. It is only by traversing the deepest depths of human experience that we can ascend to heights previously unknown to mankind.

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I'm an atheist and I think that is a pretty cogent assessment of atheist thought

on a personal note just the way I do it is I decided to pretend I'm from another planet and and just try to explain to my superiors what I am observing.
Also I used to be a Christian and I had ethical and moral issues with God as that religion explains it

and the rest too, so I didn't go from Christianity to new age or a cult like so many tend to ,not because I'm so superior to all humanity but because I had known people who did all those things and knew better to avoid that

so I maintain "nonbelief' but as you say 'spirituality' is not absent, I don't think humans can avoid spirituality and I don't know why anyone would want to . I think spirituality starts with knowing you aren't the center of existence
no one is watching, no one is counting ,you will not be saved from anything
or as I sometimes say I have no beef with a God ,no complaints that can be assigned to a God. If I
am sick it certainly isn't God making me sick .If I am broke it isn't because God took my money, If there are wars God didn't start them. At the same time God doesn't intervene in human affairs that I'm aware of so . God does whatever God does ,I do the best I can and that's my world

I don't have a thing against believers like some atheists ,I think it's arrogant
and judgmental to hold oneself in high intellectual esteem Like you've somehow transcended your humanity . We are all the same ,unless we've done something awful to our 'soul' like some people we can think of throughout history,or some who we know are betraying humanity and nature now

good post

posted on Jul, 16 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I am a former atheist (probably still am by some people's definitions of god and atheist) and I agree with most of the OP

"

Originally posted by dominicus

So in the process of this technique, as is similar to the Atheist approach of no belief, one gets rid of all beliefs of everything. Its actually quite ingenious because if there really is a God and is unlimited, any thought or belief you have about this being, limits the actual being to a limited thought, belief, concept, idea.

Yes, but only describes some atheists, some atheists have firm beliefs that there cant be a god which is still a belief. I think to really get rid of all beliefs, you cant believe there is, or is not a god.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by CREAM]

posted on Jul, 17 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
I am a former atheist (probably still am by some people's definitions of god and atheist) and I agree with most of the OP

"

Yes, but only describes some atheists, some atheists have firm beliefs that there cant be a god which is still a belief. I think to really get rid of all beliefs, you cant believe there is, or is not a god.

[edit on 16-7-2010 by CREAM]

I agree with that statement that's pretty much where I'm at

I don't hold a concept of a God that requires worship or sacrifice or tithes or whatever My only concept of what 'God" could be if such a thing can be said to exist is 'System' you don't worship System you just move and dwell within it .it functions and does what it does regardless of anything you think do or feel.

that's as close as I get

top topics

<< 1   >>

join