It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christadelphian - Cult or Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
My mom and her family are members of the Christadelphian religion as they call it. I believe they are a cult, they believe strange things, does anyone know of any Christadelphians, or know any information on them?

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The fundamental Christadelphian beliefs are:

1.)The Bible is God's word and the only message from him. It is without error, except for copying and translation errors.

2.)There is only one God - the Father. The Holy Spirit is God's power.

3.)Jesus is the Son of God, and a human being, through his mother Mary.

4.)Man is mortal, having no existence when dead.

5.)By living a sinless life, ending with his sacrificial death by crucifixion, Jesus has opened the way of salvation from death.

6.)Belief and baptism are essential steps to salvation.

7.)God raised Jesus from death. Jesus is currently in Heaven, on God's right hand. He will one day return.

8.)When Jesus returns, he will raise his "sleeping" followers from death and grant immortality to the faithful who have tried to live by God's precepts.
His followers will help him to rule, bringing justice, righteousness and peace to the whole world - the Kingdom of God

Yeah kind of a weird concept they seem to believe in no after death anything so I would call it christianity without heaven or hell they don't belive in "The Devil" they believe man is the source of sin heres their site if you crave more.

www.christadelphian.org.uk...

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
In 1985 I met Elizabeth, a Christadelphian girl, at work and we dated for a while. She knew that I was divorced and had no problem with it. She lived in a rented house with some other women of her age who were students - all were Christdelphians. Most of her friends were very friendly people, except for one who took instant dislike to me upon finding out that I was divorced. She instantly insisted that Elizabeth dump me or she would inform the 'elders' of the church. This would result in Elizabeth being 'outcast' and her family wouldn't be allowed to have anything else to do with her.
So that was the end of us. I wouldn't have minded if we just broke up of our own accord, but to be 'ordered' to do it was annying to say the least. Needless to say, having learned more about them, I have absolutely nothing to do with them. I do feel for the people caught up with this cult, but my true animosity is reserved for their elders.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I'm leaning towards cult on this one I would suggest getting your family out of this.

This website looks like it might help ya out. Cult Intervention Site

posted on Apr, 19 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I realize this is an old posting, but for what it is worth, I thought I would reply since I was raised as a "Christadelphian" for the first 18 years of my life until I strayed away and they "disfellowshipped" me. While some of them have a good heart, they are mislead and in general are an extremely judgemental and "holier than thou" group. Instead of taking the love of Jesus in their heart, they take a dogmatic and "we are the only ones who are right" approach.

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FoundtheRealTruth

Christadelphians are NOT a cult. You can leave at any time you wish.

They do not tie you down, you have a free will to believe and study with them.

To become a member they make sure you believe what the bible is teaching and if you don't believe you can simply walk away. Unlike a AOG church I once attended where they pressured me to be baptised and when I refused (on my first night with them) they disowned me....

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FoundtheRealTruth

I have to say, I was raised a christadelphian for the first 16 years of my life. I have the same experience as the other person commenting. A holier than thou approach and extremely judgemental. I did a runner as soon as I could. Their general ideas are not scary but I find the whole way they deliver totally unacceptable.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Christadelphians meet on the basis of shared beliefs. If you don't share those beliefs you don't have to be a member and you don't have to remain a member if you change your mind.

If you don't share those beliefs why would you want to belong to the Christadelphian community anyway? Join a group who shares your views.

No one is forced to become a Christadelphian and no one is forced to remain a Christadelphian.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Christadelphianism is not a cult... not at all. I am a Christadelphian. It is a world-wide fellowship of Bible-believing students. We study the Bible diligently and go by what it says.

posted on Feb, 16 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Much depends on how you define "Cult." If you are thinking in terms of Waco, TX then no Christadelphia is not a cult, though they do differ greatly from mainstream Christianity.

I grew up in a Church that was closely affiliated with Christadelphia. What you will find is a group that is dedicated to Bible study and living right. Sounds great, but here is the problem: Rather than reading the word to find truth, they "already have the truth" and so read the scriptures to confirm these beliefs. This leads to narrow thinking and has created a religion where your beliefs are actually what save you.

In true Christianity, Christ has saved us, it is finished; we must now choose whether we want to accept this gift or not. We can choose to accept the gift and then live our lives for God because of what He has done, or we can reject the gift and bank on our own strength, willpower, or intelligence. And this is what Christadelphians often do: they bank on their ability to have the correct interpretation of scripture. This is why you will find so many divisions among them. To a Christadelphian, you must believe that the Kingdom of God is on earth and not in Heaven, or you can not be saved. To a Christadelphian, you must believe that Satan is not a real entity or you can not be saved. Who decides who will be saved? Certainly not me, and likewise not you or any person. Only God.

The basics of Christianity are clear in the Bible - We are sinful beings. God is perfect and therefore will not exist with sin. Therein is our predicament - how do sinful creatures come to dwell with a perfect God? We must become sinless. Unfortunately for us, sinful creatures can not become perfect by attempting to live right or by attempting to have the correct interpretation of scriptures. No we always fall well short. But out of His great love God has provided Christ, His perfect Son to be a sacrifice to cover the sins of all who will believe in Him. By believing in Him we can have new life. Christ has taken our sin on His shoulders - what should be our reaction? To pick up and follow Him - to live our lives according to the commandments set up by God for our own benefit. Our works do nothing for our own salvation, they are only all we can do to give God the praise for what He has done for us.
-- There is no other religion in the world that is like this. All others require a Mortal, sinful being to somehow break their predicament on their own in order to dwell with God.
-- When you believe that you can rely on anything but the blood of Christ to achieve salvation, you are not Christian.
-- Herein lies the problem with Christadelphia. What saves us according to a Christadelphian? - Proper belief in the proper interpretation of scripture, and Right living. This is not Christianity! Our statements of faith will not save us, nor will our charitable lifes. Only a belief in Christ based upon our need for a Savior can save us.

If we add requrements for Salvation beyond Christ, then we are basically saying that His sacrifice was not enough. God freed us from our cage of sin, and now we are running straight back into that cage and locking ourselves up.

Concluding - I do not want to consider Christadelphia a cult as that label rings of Waco, but many have the perspective of considering any Christian offshoot that adds salvation requirments to the basic truths of Christianity to be a cult. In this sense I definitely agree.

Are all Christadelphians lost? It would be silly of me to say as only God knows our innermost hearts. Frankly, if He is able to save a sinner such as me then there is certainly hope for everyone. You only need to believe in the complete saving power of Christ's blood. If you truly believe you will follow Him the rest of your days. There will be ups and downs as we struggle with our desire for control, but you can trust in God that He has a plan for you and you can always trust in His strength and perfect love

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 08:59 AM
link   
IT IS VERY DEFINITELY A CULT. "Members are free to leave at any time," one poster has posted. That's what every cult leader says, and it's what Jim Jones said in Jonestown, Guyana, just before almost a thousand people were murdered, and what David Koresh said in Waco, Texas, just before the massacre at his compound. The Christadelphians are a small and controlling group that has strict and antiquated rules for behavior and harsh judgements for those who disobey them. You are hardly "free to leave at will," when doing so spontaneously divorces you from your spouse and/or your children or 100% of your relatives or 99% of your friends or 95% of your belief system -- and that is the case for most Christadelphians.

Who ya think you're kidding?

Peer pressure is everything, the religion is intended to be your entire life, and the rest of the human species is considered to be irrelevant and without value. This vile little cult thoroughly destroyed my family as a unit, and it thoroughly destroyed the lives of specific individuals within my family. Two of my relatives ended up dead, directly or indirectly as a result of their connections to this group. This happened because this religion has a capacity to turn members into religious fanatics who live, breathe and shxt the erroneous and bizarre and intolerant doctrine of this little cult. On the surface, most of the groups look like photos of a 1950s picnic. Underneath the visual prettiness, however, you'll discover the Stepford Wives.

Approach with GREAT caution.
edit on 31-10-2021 by Duane because: Left out information about how few Christadelphians are actually "free to leave at will," because their whole life is invested in the group.

edit on 31-10-2021 by Duane because: Corrected a writing error; needed to add the word "a" to "a 1950s picnic."

posted on Oct, 31 2021 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Anonymous ATS

LIES, LIES, LIES. See my post. There is no greater prison than the prison created by the mind, and this cult specializes in that field.

edit on 31-10-2021 by Duane because: Spelled a word incorrectly.

edit on 31-10-2021 by Duane because: Corrected a sentence with poor structure.

top topics

join