It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000 Russians Volunteer to Defend Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 08:48 PM
link   
10,000 Russians Volunteer to Defend Iraq....

english.pravda.ru...

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I take particular note of the usage "New World Order", and how the official paper of our new buddy is very anti-U.S.

Beautiful thing, the internet. You get a feel for what the rest of the world thinks.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I guess Russia didnt quite get the message in Afghanistan in the 80s... now they want to go against a REAL enemy, and get thier a$$ kicked correctly....

AF1

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Shouldn't Russia be worrying about Chechyna right now.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Shouldn't Russia be worrying about Chechyna right now. Posted by AF1

Good point... maybe these volunteers are trying to get out of that conflict and get into something they think will be easier??? Maybe they just want to surrender to the US??

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well that's just great!
Oh, well their loss..............

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Remminds me of all the Pakistanis who rushed over the border to help the Taliban, only to get their a$s kicked.

Nice to tidy up some 'enemies' might as well have one big bonfire than a bunch of little ones.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I was talking to a friend today who said that some Iraquis had already started surrending to U.S. forces. The U.S. fed them and sent them back telling them to come back and surrender after the war actually starts.
Has anyone heard anything about this? If it is true then talk about funny...

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I heard of that this morning. My wife swears she heard it was British troops who were conducting a live fire excerise at the border and it is British to whom the Iraqis attempted to surrender.

Maybe they'll all surrender, Hussein will be killed, along with the Russian dummies, and the Iraqis can get back to the business of building a good country.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Remminds me of all the Pakistanis who rushed over the border to help the Taliban, only to get their a$s kicked. Posted by NetChicken

As I remember, after we killed a couple hundred Pakistanis after they went into Afghanistan to helps the Taliban, Pakistan raised a holy furor about the US killing its citizens....

A small hint.... there is a war on... if you allow your citizens to cross a border into a war zone with guns, and they point those guns at the US, expect them to get thier a$$ bombed!!!!!! If you don't want your citizens to get get killed in combat in a foreign land against the US, DONT LET THEM GO IN!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
According to the story posted on drudge, it was the british... said that the Iraquis heard the Brits function testing their weapons, staggered over the border and surrendered.... The brits told them to go back, they could surrender next week.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Good grief, a Russian Foreign Legion!
Actually, it may well be that there are young bored men eager for what they imagine will be "action". Or plain old mercenaries.
It doesn't come across as very solid -at least in this brief Pravda clip. I certainly don't think we're looking at a re-run of the Spanish Civil war with "volunteers" being sent to effect Govt. policy.
On the other hand, the Russians have significant interests in Iraqi Oil.
The "surrendering Iraqis" wheeze did appear elsewhere (another casualty of multiple-threading): it was a British report and almost certainly silly.

AF1

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
These are all volunteers, but what do you do with captured Russians? They are prisoners of War, but do you give them back to Russia? I'm not sure on this, does anyone have any info on what we did during Vietnam with Russian military men we found? Or if they ever caught any of United States military in Afghanistan?

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Not sure about Vietnam/Afghanistan, but when we went to Afghanistan, we captured many Pakistanis and sent most of them to Guantanamo Bay Cuba. I think they finally released some, but some are still there. I think there was also a Chinese involved, dont know what happened there though...

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Good point on the status: hostile combatants Guantanamo style, I imagine.
I cannot recall any Russians having been captured in Vietnam; although there were numerous accusations levelled against Russians "assisting" in the interrogation of US POW's.

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Legally, it's a minefield -everybody from teh UN to the insurance industry has had trouble defining "war" and "prisoners of war". The British regularly get complaints because of the Gurkhas - I'm sure the French get the same with the Legion.
Under international law there are 3 sorts of combatants: soldiers, spies and mercenaries. Only the latter two categories can legitimately be denied Prisoner of War status.
Unfortunately, the Geneva Convention makes it complex by stating as a fundamental principle, under Article 51 of Protocol 1, that any person who is participating in armed conflict and is captured, is automatically presumed to be a Prisoner of War. Article 45 then states that this presumed status remains "until such time as [the person's] status has been determined by a competent tribunal."
That was the trouble with Guantanamo - the US could not convince everyone (anyone?) that they formed a competent tribunal.
So I guess the US/Brits would have to make it up as they go along ( unless th Russians become Iraqi citizens).
I've been intereste din this area for a very long time; but I still occasionally find the idea of laws about wars something of an oxymoron.
What a world.

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think the Russians are still kind of pissed about how " Rocky 4 " ended.
But if they want to jump in a fight , that they have no business of taking part in. Well .... like MountainStar said , " it's their loss " ....

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think most of this story is BS.Look at the source,the Iraq government.There may be some Russians that would like to go,but not 10,000.And if any do go, most likely they will end up doing what the human shields did,turn tail and run.
Thought this was interesting though....

For those who present an adequate reason for travelling to Iraq, the Embassy provides a visa and transportation, free of charge.
I don't think it is as easy to get out as it is to get in.And for country that has thousands of starving people I find it a little odd that they can come up with the money to pay for people to go to Iraq.

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well thats a turn up for the flairs. Check out....
ALL CLOCKS TO ZULU TIME!

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The CIA reports that Russian leaders have offered their civilians the opportunity to contest the batle in Iraq. In exchange for their services, they were each being provided with a weapon, some food, and a case of Vodka.

Due to transportation difficulties, each Russian citizen was only able to choose one item before entering Iraq.

Updated reports indicate a large number of starving, weaponless people staggering around in the desert.

Stay tuned for further reports.

deleted

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join