It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**There's More to the Red Planet than Red (Awesome photos)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Recent Photographs of Mars Show a Surprisingly Diverse Planet

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c4015d8174a8.jpg[/atsimg]
Colorful Streaks: Image of the central pit of an impact crater in the ancient highlands.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d3232400379a.jpg[/atsimg]
Sand Dunes near the North Pole: Large sand dunes near the North Pole of Mars. Patches of ice remaining at the surface appear as bright, somewhat blue, spots on slopes that offer shade from the sun

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c81197781fc.jpg[/atsimg]
Strange Squishy Impact Crater: Craters in the Northern lowlands near the Elysium Mons volcano. The ground seems to have been soft and "squishy" when it was hit by the meteorite. A couple of strange things: the crater appears to have collapsed into itself. Also, the material which would have been ejected from the crater seems to have largely vaporized

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/596cac71ae4d.jpg[/atsimg]Clay Diversity on Flank of Mawrth Vallis: You're looking at one of the candidate landing sites for the Mars Science Laboratory rover--named Curiosity--to be launched in 2011

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7279b10de8bd.jpg[/atsimg]
Exposed Light Material in Upland Region in Aureum Chaos: Researchers believe the large outflow channels which appear to emerge from Aureum Chaos were formed by the catastrophic release of ground water.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c69b37543a3b.jpg[/atsimg]
Phoenix Lander after One Mars Year: The Phoenix lander arrived on Mars 25 May 2008 at 68 degrees North latitude during the Martian summer. The image appears to show that a solar panel of the Phoenix lander has collapsed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/804732e409ce.jpg[/atsimg]
Megabreccia in the Central Uplift of Stokes Crater: The Stokes impact crater located in the Northern lowland plains of Mars, is about 38 miles in diameter.

Source: www.cbsnews.com...

I found this today on CBS-which was odd as they usually don't have good Sci/Tech stuff (IMO). Anyway, here are 6 of 18 new Mars shots. Just simply amazing.

I love the colors-different than Red. I will be dead before we ever get there (most likely) but I would love to see that day. There seems to be so much stuff coming out about Mars and the rest of Space-one can hardly keep it all in focus.

Keep them coming folks. Overwhelm me...

Enjoy everyone!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Thanks very much for creating this thread. I always look forward when you create one aswell. Believe or not, I've actually learned alot and gained lots of insight from them aswell.

Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
beautiful pics. what wonders the universe holds!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Amazing thread, I too look forward to reading his threads! S&F man, it is so refreshing to like you said see something other than red, I am 15 so i'm not sure if i'll live to see a man on mars, although I can tell you one thing, unfortunately that man sure as hell won't be American, we've made so many cuts on our manned space program, my guess is it will be China,thier pumping up their space program. Only time will tell. Either way good post man!

[edit on 13-7-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Great pics thanks for posting

Of course it won't be long before someone pops up and points out that these are false colour images ......OOOPs , it was me

Regardless these are cool pics , I think Mars holds a special place in all our hearts

Edit to add
S+F 4 you

[edit on 13-7-2010 by gortex]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Great post and very very nice pictures, thanks!

2nd line

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
That 5th photo looks surprisingly similar to what was on the youtube video of the so -called trip to Mars in the 70's. Is that the same pic with a filter?

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
All these beautiful hi-rez pics of Mars provided to us by our benevolent space agencies, but no equally good pics of Cydonia.

FAIL!

[edit on 13-7-2010 by The Patriot]

jra

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Patriot
All these beautiful hi-rez pics of Mars provided to us by our benevolent space agencies, but no equally good pics of Cydonia.

FAIL!

www.uahirise.org...

I assume you meant the face of Cydonia? It doesn't get any better than 25cm/pixel.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jra

That site is going directly to my favorites. Good one.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and S&F's. Sorry Patroit... can't please everyone.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by jra

That site is going directly to my favorites. Good one.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and S&F's. Sorry Patroit... can't please everyone.

Not your fault, man. You did post some nice pics!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I have been following the weekly HiRISE releases since December 2006 and I have seen the 15371 images (at least a small part of each photo), and they are interesting, although some of the photos from areas near the south pole look all alike.

But it's always good to see them and to see other people learning about them.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

The first I have heard of it. Question. Are these photos edit to add color? Or, it is what it is?

Thank you.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I wonder if there is anyone working with pics like thses to produce a simu of what Mars could look like after some sort of Terraforming? I just can't imagine looking at something like Olympus Mons or Valle Marinaris with green grass, trees and snow caps! oh ya, and rivers and lakes and seas!
Sweet!

[edit on 14-7-2010 by CosmosKid]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Wow those photo's are amazing.
Everytime I think of Mars I think of some bed red desert but this looks like a very diverse place and some of the photo's even look like water!

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Originally posted by The Patriot

FAIL!

www.uahirise.org...

I assume you meant the face of Cydonia? It doesn't get any better than 25cm/pixel.

hey...dont forget your on ATS and we look into details...

that high res image of the face on mars was done to hide the face features...

Your Link just beneath the picture :

HiRISE captured this image of an eroded mesa made famous by its similarity to a human face in a Viking Orbiter image with much lower spatial resolution and a different lighting geometry.

Now something about Spatial resolution :

Because spatial resolution goes down (shows less detail and fails to pick up smaller features) when we reduce large-area mosaics to workable sizes, we use them best as synoptic guides to regional-scale landforms and features, ...

There was a computer generated image somewhere which reversed the Spatial resolution and believe me...the FACE is there..the Details are there

i will try to find the image ...post later coz im at work

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Awesome thread anon72!!

Mars is a fascinating planet, there is so much that we do not know about it. Saying that, there is so much of our own planet that we don't know about.

Thanks for sharing.

Rabaski

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Awesome photos!

Anyone got a jacket I can borrow? I think I'm going to go on a trip soon

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
No HIres images of the glass tunnels on Mars?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Come Clean
No HIres images of the glass tunnels on Mars?

good one pal!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join