It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Jones Act" meme a lie spread by Fox Disnifo Agents! Foreign Aid NOT turned down!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
No, the Obama administration is not invoking the Jones Act to turn down foreign aid.

from june 15th:

Currently, 15 foreign-flagged vessels are involved in the largest response to an oil spill in U.S. history. No Jones Act waivers have been granted because none of these vessels have required such a waiver to conduct their operations in the Gulf of Mexico.

However, in order to prepare for any potential need, Admiral Allen has provided guidance to the Coast Guard Federal On-Scene Coordinator, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and the U.S. Maritime Administration to ensure any Jones Act waiver requests receive urgent attention and processing. “While we have not seen any need to waive the Jones Act as part of this historic response, we continue to prepare for all possible scenarios,” said Admiral Allen. “Should any waivers be needed, we are prepared to process them as quickly as possible to allow vital spill response activities being undertaken by foreign-flagged vessels to continue without delay.”

To date, the administration has leveraged assets and skills from numerous foreign countries and international organizations as part of this historic, all-hands-on-deck response, including Canada, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, the United Nations’ International Maritime Organization and the European Union’s Monitoring and Information Centre. In some cases, offers of international assistance have been turned down because the offer didn’t fit the needs of the response.

www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com...

[edit on 3-7-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I had thought to post this the other day when the stories started hitting, but figured someone already had. When I first heard that meme here a few weeks ago, I went and read the whole boring thing, and it really didn't make sense to me that it could even BE used for this purpose. Or that he was turning away aid at all.

Seems to me this meme was brought to us by the good people who were keeping track of all the accusations toward the first administration that they just can't seem to wait to throw at the current administration. I envision them sitting there fuming, with a list that they check off items one by one on. It's kind of sad actually.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Seems to me this meme was brought to us by the good people who were keeping track of all the accusations toward the first administration that they just can't seem to wait to throw at the current administration. I envision them sitting there fuming, with a list that they check off items one by one on. It's kind of sad actually.

You just hit the nail on the head.

Edited to ADD: I guess I should have titled the thread "Jones Act a NWO LIE!!!!!!!" to keep this factual info from sinking quicker than corexit laced crude!

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I had thought to post this the other day when the stories started hitting, but figured someone already had. When I first heard that meme here a few weeks ago, I went and read the whole boring thing, and it really didn't make sense to me that it could even BE used for this purpose. Or that he was turning away aid at all.

Maybe.

On the other hand why has the administration stalled for so long accepting foriegn offers of help?

Obama is just using this as part of a dog and pony show to work this crisis for everything its worth. Instead of actually having to discuss why more offers of help haven't been accepted, its easier to let the MSM wallow in confusion over the Jones Act.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

lol i meant "last administration" not "first admnistration." i have a headache sorry!

reply to post by mhc_70

seems like the whole thing has been a stall to me. but that's my perception. i don't really know if they have refused help or not...there are so many conflicting reports.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
They were in the Gulf but were they in US waters or international? They don't need to waive the Jones Act unless they were in US owned areas.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

reply to post by mhc_70

seems like the whole thing has been a stall to me. but that's my perception. i don't really know if they have refused help or not...there are so many conflicting reports.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The United States is accepting help from 12 countries and international organizations in dealing with the massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

The State Department said in a statement Tuesday that the U.S. is working out the particulars of the help that's been accepted.

The identities of all 12 countries and international organizations were not immediately announced. One country was cited in the State Department statement -- Japan, which is providing two high-speed skimmers and fire containment boom.

More than 30 countries and international organizations have offered to help with the spill. The State Department hasn't indicated why some offers have been accepted and others have not.

Source

Thats why I call it a dog and pony show.

[edit on 3-7-2010 by mhc_70]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Sorry, you need to redo your homework. With the Jones Act in force, only ships built in the US and manned by a US crew can operate within US waters. Unless of course it is waived.

We hear about it up here often as it has a negative effect on our cost of living. It eliminates competition for shipping us our goods.

What you posted is political doublespeak. Inside the boundary of US waters, no foreign ship can operate without a waiver.

Those Dutch ships could have been here within a week.

I listened to a report just the other day that went into detail about it. The cost of the Jones Act, which protects about 25,000 jobs, runs between 2 billion and 10 billion per year, averaging about 4 billion. The only reason it is still in force is Union pressure.

Ask yourself, if it does not matter, why is Obama refusing to wave it for the emergency as other Presidents have done? Why would he not wave it just to stop the criticism. Any thoughts on that? Could it possibly be because it might cost the Unions a few jobs related to this spill? Maybe? I can't come up with any other answer why he does not sign a simple order.

By the way, there are specialty ships up here that have been sitting waiting to go and help. We have some of the leading experts on earth here. They can not get permission.

I must be wrong though. Presidents never spin a story or have their people spin a story do they

[edit on 7/3/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Sorry, you need to redo your homework. With the Jones Act in force, only ships built in the US and manned by a US crew can operate within US waters. Unless of course it is waived.

We hear about it up here often as it has a negative effect on our cost of living. It eliminates competition for shipping us our goods.

What you posted is political doublespeak. Inside the boundary of US waters, no foreign ship can operate without a waiver.

[edit on 7/3/2010 by Blaine91555]

I did my home work or maybe you think this is double speak.

In anticipation of possible need for deployment of foreign flagged OSRVs, the FOSC, in coordination with other federal agencies, determined on June 16, 2010, pursuant to 46 U.S.C. §55113, that there are an insufficient number of specialized oil skimming vessels in the U.S. to keep pace with the unprecedented levels of oil discharges in the Gulf of Mexico. Based upon this determination, foreign specialized skimming vessels may be deployed to response operations if the foreign country provides the same privileges to U.S. vessels. The use of such vessels under these circumstances would not violate the Jones Act or require a Jones Act waiver.

Source

If you are familiar with the jones act you would know that all the Fed has to do is declare thare is an insufficient numbers of oil response vessels to respond to the oil leak and all foriegn vessels of that type are exempt.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mhc_70

Maybe.

On the other hand why has the administration stalled for so long accepting foriegn offers of help?

Obama is just using this as part of a dog and pony show to work this crisis for everything its worth. Instead of actually having to discuss why more offers of help haven't been accepted, its easier to let the MSM wallow in confusion over the Jones Act.

No, your spreading mis-truth. The Jones act has NOT been invoked. The only Foreign Aid that has been stalled IN ANY WAY was aid not deemed functionally useful. There has been NO evidence presented that shows ANY functional help has been turned down. Your pablum about the "MSM" is nonsense. The "MSM" (namely Fox news, the WaPo, etc) are the ones who have been spreading the LIE that help has been turned down. It hasn't. The quote I supplied was a direct quote from National Incident Commander Admiral Thad Allen, so unless you have something to disprove it, you are just lying.

Edited to Add: And no, this is not an apology for the Obama Administration. It is a clarification of the facts. Legitimate Foreign aid has NOT been turned down by this administration. But the Right Wing seems intent upon turning this NATIONAL disaster into a partisan slug-fest.

Deny Ignorance and allthat.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

If you are familiar with the jones act you would know that all the Fed has to do is declare thare is an insufficient numbers of oil response vessels to respond to the oil leak and all foriegn vessels of that type are exempt.

And if you read the above quoted statement in the OP, you would know the Jones Act hasn't even been invoked. Deny Ignorance. Crush Lies.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
No, your spreading mis-truth. The Jones act has NOT been invoked. The only Foreign Aid that has been stalled IN ANY WAY was aid not deemed functionally useful. There has been NO evidence presented that shows ANY functional help has been turned down. Your pablum about the "MSM" is nonsense. The "MSM" (namely Fox news, the WaPo, etc) are the ones who have been spreading the LIE that help has been turned down. It hasn't. The quote I supplied was a direct quote from National Incident Commander Admiral Thad Allen, so unless you have something to disprove it, you are just lying.

Edited to Add: And no, this is not an apology for the Obama Administration. It is a clarification of the facts. Legitimate Foreign aid has NOT been turned down by this administration. But the Right Wing seems intent upon turning this NATIONAL disaster into a partisan slug-fest.

Deny Ignorance and allthat.

Wait a second, first, I never made the claim the act was invoked, I made the claim the oil response vessels were exempt due to an insufficient number of skimmers based on the way the act is written.

Second, the reports are that something like 12 of the 40 offers from different countries have been accepted, the rest are still under consideration. Turned down, under consideration...its really just semantics, bottom line is all of the available resources are not being put to use.

Third, until just recently, legitimate foriegn aid, according to the EPA, meant the skimmer could not return water back to the ocean that was less than 99.9985% pure, it may not be returned to the Gulf of Mexico. Most of what BP is using now is converted fishing and shrimp boats. I find it hard to believe that vessels designed for oil spill clean up would not be deemed functionally useful.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mhc_70

I know. I saw this article and also the one about the world's largest skimmers way before this one and also even way before that heard there were already foreign ships assisting. Exactly why I said it's confusing.

From that article too, This article does not say this is the first help accepted and also says, "he State Department hasn't indicated why some offers have been accepted and others have not."

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

reply to post by mhc_70

I know. I saw this article and also the one about the world's largest skimmers way before this one and also even way before that heard there were already foreign ships assisting. Exactly why I said it's confusing.

From that article too, This article does not say this is the first help accepted and also says, "the State Department hasn't indicated why some offers have been accepted and others have not."

I would suspect that is because some of the 'offers' were quite useless. My problem with all the accusations about help being 'refused' is it implies it was all useful help and that those extra few ships would have somehow prevented the miles and miles of sea shore to not be covered in oil. There is what, 160 million gallons of oil int he water? Ships will be cleaning this up for YEARS, if not decades. No delays in offers had any significant impact ont eh cleanup effort and to imply so, is, imo, the purely partisan hackery you refer to in your first post int his thread.

And here i thought ATS was all about denying ignorance. Silly me!!, it's about finding an echo chamber for the most extreme ELE theory possible and bashing anyone who politely disagrees.
Sigh

[edit on 4-7-2010 by justadood]

new topics

top topics

join