It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about the aquifer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Ive allready started drinking bottled water to be honest due to my kidney issues. But as I was reviewing the thread linked above that its source said that oil is being seen 6" deep in the sand, and not on top, is when the questions popped into my head. What is going to happen to the florida aquifer system if this continues to seep out? I also see people on here saying nukes are the best option. What happens to my drinking water if you set off a nuke down there? Does anybody think that it could seep in?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
The Board of Directors of BP has stated that they do not care what the flow rate is so no one even has an idea of how much oil the Board is releasing. The Board of Directors want only to "have their lives back" and monitoring flow rate is only important when they are enriched not when it is a mess.

The aquifers of Florida will be destroyed by the "precious", "incredibly hard to get", "non-renewable energy source" that is so freaking "rare" there is only enough to destroy the Gulf of Mexico.

Will the Board of Directors of BP pay for the water and land they have ordered destroyed through their criminal negligence? Probably not. They are creepy rich people...the elite. The water supplies of the small people are meaningless to these psychopaths and their good time buddies in our elected political structures.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Again with the creepy rich people thing, dude, just give it a rest. What do you honestly believe will happen to our drinking water supply? I live in the Tampa Bay area and have read on here that FEMA allready has an evac plan for this area. If our water supply is comprimised how long are you going to stick it out, seeing that you are from Florida as well?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

In recent years, problems have developed in utilizing the aquifer. These problems have arisen from declining water levels, saltwater intrusion in coastal areas, and inadequate supplies of fresh ground-water locally. This pollution can come from both the lateral and upward movement of saltwater in coastal areas and by upcoming of saline water in some inland areas. Often companies pump out large quantities of water which creates a suction in the aquifer. If the suction area has a tributary to the ocean, it will automatically suck water from the ocean into the aquifer. This @ of pollution is the most common, and it is self-correcting. The aquifer has a filtering mechanism that is implanted in its composition. Since the rocks that make up the aquifer are mostly igneous and sedimentary, the water flows through very narrow openings and the dense materials are sifted out. Some pollution of the aquifer is not self-correcting. The non-coffecting pollution is the presence of pesticides in the ground-water. The only way for the pesticide residue to be removed is for it to be pumped out of the aquifer. Who knows where it will end up? It could be in a glass of water that is drawn from the tap. Many people have deep wells that tap into the water of the aquifer, and they will be the recipients of the pesticides and other human-induced pollution of the aquifer.' Source

The only problem I can see is the intrusion of large amounts of oil which may even block the openings between the rocks which act as a natural filter.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Seriously, some Count Chocula dude comes out of the White House and tells me I am a "small people" and that he, as Chairman of the Board of BP, that he "cares" about me, that he "cares about the small people." and I am expected think what? That he's not a creepy rich guy?

The Chief Executive Officer of BP, whines and complains that he "just wants his life back" and is then seen playing like a child on his pretty little boat with his rich friends and I am expected to think what? That he is not some creepy rich guy that thinks only of his own ease and enjoyment?

One would expect earnest men, with serious plans to solve serious problems. We have not seen that. We have seen weird rich people who obviously couldn't give a rat's behind what happens unless they are enriched.

So yeah, creepy rich guys ripping me off for years. That is what they are.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by mike_trivisonno]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Does anyone think that this will ruin Florida's crystal clear, beautiful, precious fresh water springs? I have always wanted to go see some of these but I can't afford it. I hope I will have a chance in the future.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

They won't use a nuclear weapon to stop the leak, but if they did, the ground itself would act as a giant filter collecting any radioactive particles that might enter the aquifer. Combined with a commercial water filter, that should take care of virtually all of it.

As for the oil, this is only based on what I've seen in the videos, but the oil reaching Florida appears to be something resembling axle grease. Its probably too thick to present a major threat to the water supply because it won't permeate very deeply into the soil.

That said, yeah, I'd be buying bottled water for a while myself, just to be on the safe side.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by vor78]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
We will have to see if the desalination systems in Tampa are affected. If they have to shut those down, BP will be in even more trouble.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Fresh drinking water should concern everyone. It's something we often take for granted and misuse. I would say drinking bottled water is the smart thing, better to be safe. Just keep an eye on the supply, stock up.

Most of the wells in my area are very deep. You'd be surprised at the toxins found in well water. Testing can be expensive but some water is deadly. Bad stuff finds it's way down there.

I feel so bad for you all. It must be simply heartbreaking.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I would say that if this video is real then oil/chemicals will get into the aquifer. Oil in rain in LA The video was taken in River Ridge LA which is just south of Lake Pontchartrain.

The video looks real to me but I've been fooled before. Thoughts? Can anyone confirm oil in rain?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FearNoEvil
I would say that if this video is real then oil/chemicals will get into the aquifer. Oil in rain in LA The video was taken in River Ridge LA which is just south of Lake Pontchartrain.

The video looks real to me but I've been fooled before. Thoughts? Can anyone confirm oil in rain?

you could see a sheen but that could be from rain water mixing with oil from the street. proper measurements would be the only way to look into it. Ive seen that the main consensus on this site is that it cant be picked up by storms clouds cause the oil doesnt evaporate, but in all honesty im sure most of us has seen wierder stuff. Im still worried about the coming hurrican season but even if we dont get hit with one, the cold fronts we get down here will push the oil into my area. Its only a matter of time. Gonna def start stockin up on water now.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizzie56

you could see a sheen but that could be from rain water mixing with oil from the street. proper measurements would be the only way to look into it. Ive seen that the main consensus on this site is that it cant be picked up by storms clouds cause the oil doesnt evaporate, but in all honesty im sure most of us has seen wierder stuff. Im still worried about the coming hurrican season but even if we dont get hit with one, the cold fronts we get down here will push the oil into my area. Its only a matter of time. Gonna def start stockin up on water now.

I keep seeing the comment that oil doesn't evaporate, which is not true. Will it rain a black sticky substance that resembles the fluid that you see when you change your oil? Probably not.

Chemistry Archive

Evaporation of Oil Spills

Can It Rain Oil?

top topics

join