It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ryanair passengers left without food or water for six hours

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Free4Ever2

cmon guys is this really worthy of ATS, six hours is nothing, i work harder on a building site in the burning sun for longer than 6 hours without a drink,

Perhaps you had fully hydrated yourself beforehand knowing that you wouldn't be able to drink for a few hours. That isn't the same as say an elderly couple rushing to get to the airport and didn't have time to hydrate themselves properly, and so rely on the bottled water provided during the flight.

Don't you get a dinner break during your work-day??? If you choose not to drink water that's your own decision and has nothing to do with anyone else's choices.

All of this "I'm so tough cos' I don't drink water for more than 6 hours" is really pathetic. It's as pathetic as beer drinkers in the pub who drink 10 pints without a single half pint of water in-between because they think it makes 'em look soft... and they complain about a terrible hangover next morning. HAHA!!!

what about the kids in africa that go friggin days without it, get a grip of yourselves and be thankful for what you do have

And you think it's healthy for kids to go without drinking water??? Are you really that stupid?!

hahahahahaha dehydration, seriously?

Yes... perhaps your own dehydration over the years has stunted the development of your brain cell growth.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by john124]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
First of all you can't become dehydrated after 6 hours without a drink. If you did you'd be half dead everytime you woke up in the morning after an 8 hour sleep. I've had dehydration, caused by a 3 day wedding where I drank nothing but alcohol and no water, and I can tell you, it's the closest I've come to knowing to what it might actually feel like to die. It literally feels like your body is shutting down. I was nearly hospitilised.

And secondly, I worked as Cabin Crew for 5 years. Unfortunately this does not surprise me, especially with a no frills airline like Ryanair. When travelling between bases all onboard bars are sealed due to customs regulations meaning that until that plane was up in the air it would have been illegal for the crew to open the bars and physically sell any of the contents. The crew food and water is loaded seperately and is not subject to the same regulations. In fact I believe Ryanair staff have to pay for their own food and bring it aboard themselves, so if the company doesn't even provide food for it's own staff on 15 hour shifts it's hardly going to care about passengers inconvenienced for 6 hours.

As crew I have had slot delays and the like on the ground. It was common for slot delays to run for at least an hour, so passengers would go at least that long without a drink. If movement was permitted in the cabin and the length of the delay was known however we would have always have done a tap water service to keep people watered. Why the crew didn't on this flight boils down to plain laziness in my opinion, and amounts to poor customer care and service. I honestly doubt much will come of this internally however. As crew we rarely got told off for poor customer service. Our primary role was safety. In the 5 to 6 weeks it takes to train as Cabin Crew only 1-2 days is set aside for customer service. The rest is safety and first aid training. I was lucky that I had a 5 year background in customer service before joining the airline so I was one of the few that actually valued a customer as a person but still...as that old Cabin Crew adage goes, "I'm here to save your a$$, not kiss it..."

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
there is a very simple explanation for this that has been passed down from generation to generation

'if you pay peanuts , you get monkeys'

what the hell do people expect when they are paying less than it costs to fill your car with petrol to fly hundreds of miles.

why has the world turned into a bunch of moaning whingebags. as BA Baracus would say ' get some nuts!'

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Ryanair is the worst air company.

Amazing why anyone uses them at all.

It is unquestionabley the worst airline. However it is the cheapest. That is why most travellers use them . Because they are the CHEAPEST. And then people have the nerve to complain , cheap whinging basturds.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by JohnySeagull]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by john124

woah who crawled up inside you and died. thers no need for hostility like that here and to be quite frankly honest i laughed at your post, at which point did i say i was touch for not drinking water, at what point did i say it was healthy for kids to go days withbout drinking water, stop picking fights for no reason.

Its people like you that make not want to past anything on ATS and im sure im not alone in thinking that. good day to you sir, grow up

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeeker8300
reply to post by bluedrake

Those horrible things are reported. The one's not reported is because there's no one to report it or they are being controlled. But hey, people can start their own press and begin printing their own news papers and distribute those. Or use websites.

I think incidents such as the one with Ryanair are news worthy. Any time a customer is treated wrong, everyone should know about it. It doesn't matter what company or what the problem was. A company should aim to please its customers. Without the customers, they'd go broke.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by TruthSeeker8300]

The first part of your post doesn't make any sense. This is all over the mainstream media.

The second part of your post doesn't make any sense either. Your theory about treating customers properly does not apply to airlines. Ryanair have ALWAYS treated their customers like dirt. It hasn't effected their customer numbers at all. Passanger numbers just keep going up and up and up.

Its also about to get a lot worse. They intend to start charging to use the toilet on the plane. The idea is everyone will go before leaving and then the plane will be lighter. Less fuel needed. They are also trying to bring in standing postions also so they can get more people on the plane.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frakkerface
this happened to me in Houston with Continental but only for 3 hours. I can't imagine what 6 hours would've been like for them.

It's interesting you should mention 3 hours, that's the new time limit in the USA according to this December 2009 story:

Feds come to aid of stranded air passengers

Travelers can deplane after 3 hours; trade group says carriers will comply

The airline industry said it will comply with the regulations — which go into effect in 120 days — but predicted the result will be more canceled flights, more inconvenience for passengers.

"The requirement of having planes return to the gates within a three-hour window or face significant fines is inconsistent with our goal of completing as many flights as possible. Lengthy tarmac delays benefit no one," said Air Transport Association President and CEO James May.

LaHood, however, dismissed that concern.

"I don't know what can be more disruptive to people than to be stuck sitting on a plane five, six, seven hours with no explanation," LaHood said at a briefing.

Last month, the department fined Continental Airlines, ExpressJet Airlines and Mesaba Airlines $175,000 for their roles in a nearly six-hour tarmac delay in Rochester, Minn.

Airlines could be fined $27,500 per passenger for each violation of the three-hour limit.

Airlines will be required to provide food and water for passengers within two hours of a plane being delayed on a tarmac, and to maintain operable lavatories.

You folks in the UK should lobby your authorities to get a comparable 3 hour limit established and enforced. I don't know how the DOT managed to fine the airlines $175,000 for a 6 hr delay in Nov 2009 when the new 3 hour limit regulations didn't take effect until April 2010? But obviously they thought 6 hours is too long even before the new regulations took effect, and it IS!

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think there are some other issues involved in this that need to be aired.

For those that say 6 hours without water is not a crisis for kids, I beg to differ, it can be too long depending on the temperature in the plane, especially if there is no air circulation.

Secondly I think people are missing the point here. These passengers with children were held prisoner for 6 hours without water in a confined space.

Someone called the police in distress from the plane. I saw them arrive from the neighbouring town blue lights n all. The police deemed it right to go spend their own money on bottled water for the passengers !

I dont know how much red tape was involved in the police getting access to the plane nor what was involved in them going to get the food and returning, but, surely it would have been more humane to just give people a drink ! before this all happened.

We live in an inhumane society and thats a fact.

To those who are saying this isnt ATS worthy, I say, I guess you have no kids of your own. Because Im sure if you were on the plane with them, you would be as angry as the other passengers were.

Also this made front page in the national press here in Scotland so someone deemed it worthy.

Respects

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If I was by myself or with my wife only I probably wouldn't have done anything however, if my kids were on board with me, the airline staff would have a mutiny on their hands. I'm really sorry for children in Africa but if one of my kids wants a drink, I'll get it even if I have to bust some heads. The fact that the staff allowed themselves drinks but wouldn't share with the passengers is inexcusable.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by captiva
I think there are some other issues involved in this that need to be aired.

For those that say 6 hours without water is not a crisis for kids, I beg to differ, it can be too long depending on the temperature in the plane, especially if there is no air circulation.

Secondly I think people are missing the point here. These passengers with children were held prisoner for 6 hours without water in a confined space.

Someone called the police in distress from the plane. I saw them arrive from the neighbouring town blue lights n all. The police deemed it right to go spend their own money on bottled water for the passengers !

I dont know how much red tape was involved in the police getting access to the plane nor what was involved in them going to get the food and returning, but, surely it would have been more humane to just give people a drink ! before this all happened.

We live in an inhumane society and thats a fact.

To those who are saying this isnt ATS worthy, I say, I guess you have no kids of your own. Because Im sure if you were on the plane with them, you would be as angry as the other passengers were.

Also this made front page in the national press here in Scotland so someone deemed it worthy.

Respects

Can you remind how many of these poor souls died.

Also can you confirm how many were hospitalised?

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Thanks.

So someone has got to be hospitalised or even die before you deem it worthy of human compassion?

Your comments say enough, enough said.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by captiva

Thanks.

So someone has got to be hospitalised or even die before you deem it worthy of human compassion?

Your comments say enough, enough said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you want compassion for people delayed on a flight where NO ONE required medical attention. People got hot and angry.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND YOU ON THIS PLANET ?

Baa, Baa, Baa, graze, graze, Baa, Baa, Baa

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Free4Ever2
cmon guys is this really worthy of ATS, six hours is nothing, i work harder on a building site in the burning sun for longer than 6 hours without a drink, it done me no harm yet these people are sitting on there ass. load of bull that they moan about 6 hours without water, what about the kids in africa that go friggin days without it, get a grip of yourselves and be thankful for what you do have

What a pathetic statement. You do it through choice. The airlines probably run by someone with your mentality. And as for the kids in Africa, maybe they should move a little closer to water. Maybe a terminal building?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Regardless of this he-man I'm so strong i don't get dehydrated after a day and anyone who disagrees with me is a pansy nonsense. The true issue is mans inhumanity to man, a shortsighted me first society who cares only for whats under their own nose and nothing outside of arms reach.

Anyone who replied to this thread in a manner as to seem dismissive of these peoples suffering is in my opinion not worthy of being called a human, not even worthy of being called an animal as that would be insulting to animals. We honestly need to come up with a new term for someone who is selfish,indignant, ignorant, and moronic that wont insult humans or any other living or non living object.

Also to anyone who replied dismissively to the plight of these passengers please do the world a favor and get some compassion or don't participate with society as you have a negative impact on society as a whole and are utterly useless.

We need to understand that sometimes rules are made to be broken and those rules need to have exceptions for life threatening or dangerous circumstances, i.e. when people cant get in the air due to unavoidable issues they need to provide for the health and safety of the passengers and crew.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Free4Ever2
reply to post by john124

woah who crawled up inside you and died. thers no need for hostility like that here and to be quite frankly honest i laughed at your post, at which point did i say i was touch for not drinking water,

You implied because you didn't drink water whilst at work, that others shouldn't drink water at all. Whatever else you tried to be, you're still stupid for saying that. And being defensive over an originally ridiculous comment shows a lack of humility and honesty.

at what point did i say it was healthy for kids to go days withbout drinking water,

You said this:

it done me no harm yet these people

THESE PEOPLE = kids & OAPS.

stop picking fights for no reason.

This isn't a fight, it's an intellectual debate and you fail to back up your opinion adequately with evidence.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

you want compassion for people delayed on a flight where NO ONE required medical attention. People got hot and angry.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND YOU ON THIS PLANET ?

I don't think anyone is saying this incident is worse than Kyrgyzstan civil war, or famine in North Korea, or wars.

It is rather a basic necessity to have access to water for everyone, and in all cases including this one. And it isn't such a big effort for airlines to ensure access to water

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join