It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the Slaughter goes on , No hope for Whales

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Many things sicken me about our so called advanced species but none more so than the barbaric slaughter of one of the planets most intelligent animals .
News that the International Whaling Commission's two year attempt to reign in Iceland, Japan and Norway has ended in failure comes as no real surprise but is disappointing none the less .
The deal was by no means perfect as it would still legitimize Whaling , but it could have been a first step to ending this barbaric practice , doing something is better than doing nothing at all .

Attempts to agree a compromise between whaling nations and their opponents at the International Whaling Commission's (IWC) annual meeting have failed. After two days of private discussions, delegates reported they had been unable to reach agreement on major issues. The deal would have put whaling by Iceland, Japan and Norway under international oversight for 10 years.
news.bbc.co.uk...

For those ATS members who feel as strongly as I do on this subject there is a petition you can sign to register your objection to Whaling .
I signed it about a month ago , you will receive emails from Avaaz but you can unsubscribe yourself from these .
I am not advocating you sign the petition, its up to you , but it did make me feel slightly better knowing that I had registered my objection .
secure.avaaz.org...
It's only when something is gone that you realize how important it was

To parties of the International Whaling Commission: As citizens from around the world, we call on you to retain the international ban on commercial whaling as the core policy of the International Whaling Commission in its pursuit of conservation of whales.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by gortex]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I'm with you fully on this issue. Mankind kill animals only if they posed a threat to humanity, or are necessary as a food source. We do not kill indiscrimately, more so those imbued with life.

Whales posed no threat, and is not a necessary food source. Killing them is not even a right of life or way of life. We should not take more than we need or can give back. It is totally unconcionable. Similary with killing baby seals.

The ones who are animals are the violent whalers and their supporters who are dangerous and pose a threat to unthreatening life forms. May such animals be spat upon, and be disassociated from civilised society, treated with fullest contempt and disdian, and their wares rejected by all humanity.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This crap has to stop RIGHT NOW. If I had the funds, I'd buy a russian hunter-sub and go whaler-hunting.
Seriously, this is so below ANY level of human behaviour, I'm getting all fired up.

There is absolutely NO justification for whale hunting. NONE. No economic, no scientific, just simply none.

Send the active whalers and their supporters to north-korean re-education camps to reprogram them to be rice farmers, that would at least be a contribution to humanities food resources.

I signed the Avaaz petition, it's the least I can do.

Thank you for signing the petition to protect whales! Your name has been added.

The more people join this campaign, the more powerful our call will be. Please help spread the word -- the original Avaaz email below to friends and family, and post this link on Facebook:

secure.avaaz.org...

Thanks so much,

The Avaaz Team

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
One species of Dolphin is already extinct. They have not been seen since 2006.
It is the fresh water Dolphin from the Yangtze river. It lived there for almost 20 million years.

You can find pictures and info in the thread in my signature.
S&F

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Which has got naff all to do with hunting and more to do with rampant pollution.

I dont understand all this anti-whaling nonsense. It's ok for us in our countries to kill and eat milions of pigs, chickens and cows, but a few thousand Whales being eaten is evil? If it is done sustainably and not in excess like it had been in the 18th and 19th centuries, then what is the problem?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Because species of animals never went extinct before we got here, you know, without even having to mention extinction level events.

If this were really about "necessity", then we would all agree on one food source, and just eat that. Right? Probably plants, right? Lol.

If you really believe there is no reason to do this, then you would really just do that. You'd settle on one food and say, "There isn't any need to eat anything else, I have this."

Species of animals have come and gone since before our time.

This environmental movement is getting ridiculous.

-----
I've seen people claim some of the most ridiculous things with the preservation of animals in mind. It is obscene.
-----

We can't even protect the majority of our own from going extinct, and we're trying to save whales that probably don't give two-****s about us.

I suppose we should start campaigning against the planet. After all. Who has killed more living creatures since the history of life on this planet? Us? Or the earth itself? I'm pretty sure the earth has always been the number one contender.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by SentientBeyondDesign]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
The extinction of the Dolphin has to do with humans. They were killed for fun by throwing hand grenades at them at one time.

Eating the same food will get us killed to as we need a lot more diversity in our meal.
The problem is the needless killing and the mass consumption of just about everything.

Especially when it comes to animals who understand the world as much as we do.
Whales and Dolphins feel the same emotions and pain as we do. Maybe all animals do in ways we don't understand. Killing for food is normal and natural, the way things work.

The excess killing and bad managing infuriate me. Not only because it destroys the animals and theirs and ower habitat. Also because we will end up destroying ourselves.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

post by stumason
I dont understand all this anti-whaling nonsense. It's ok for us in our countries to kill and eat milions of pigs, chickens and cows, but a few thousand Whales being eaten is evil

They are two totally different things ,the pigs, chickens and cows we eat are dispatched quickly and humanely , governed by law and animal welfare standards .
All methods of killing whales are inhumane because, among other problems, they do not render the animals instantaneously insensible. The large size of even the smallest species of whales, their remarkable adaptations for diving, and the weather and conditions at sea make it impossible to kill whales humanely or instantaneously. What's more, according to published studies, whalers identify death as the cessation of movement in external body parts such as the pectoral flipper—not the cessation of cerebral function. Therefore, whales, who are sentient, intelligent mammals, may suffer horrible and often prolonged deaths due to the unreliable and brutal killing methods used.

new topics

top topics

join