It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. pullout from Iraq triggers epic garage sale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

U.S. pullout from Iraq triggers epic garage sale

www.reuters.com

Reuters) - The detritus of occupation comes in all shapes and sizes.

In Iraq, it's M-16 ammunition clips, rifle bipods and body armor at Baghdad's Haraj market.

For traders in U.S. cast-offs, now is the last hurrah.

The remaining 85,000 U.S. soldiers in Iraq are pulling out over the next 18 months, and the Pentagon is getting rid of the fixtures and fittings of the bases they live in, some of it at auction, some bound for the black market.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
After reading that news a few thoughts have crossed my mind:

1) Is the pull out for real, or just another lie?

2) Does Obama really mean to remove 100% of american troops from Iraq? If so, what would be the next use for them?

3) The article says that some bases have so many soldiers that they look like cities, with Wal Marts and Burger Kings in them. Made me think that the pull out could be for real as a means to stop spending money with troops in Iraq, since US is going through economic crysis and this is not the time to spend more money with ficticious wars.

4) If after 18 months the pull out is complete, that means that Obama would enter 2012, his last year, his reelection campagin year, with all the troops back home. He would have followed one of the most important promises from his presidential election campaign. That would help a lot with his popularity and there is a good chance he would run for election and win. And after he wins, he could send the troops back to Iraq again. lol =P

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Reminds me of the montauk story base close down. On the surface, they closed it down and the people claimed the gov gave away all the stuff, but the base underground still existed.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I'm betting tensions running high with Iran in the coming months will conveniently give them a reason to stay.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Only moving their pieces around the chess board .They're not going anywhere but Iran . As soon as the next flotilla in Gaza is attacked it will be reset , new game ,GAME OVER .

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Claims he wants to keep 35-50K throught 2011.

www.cnn.com...

I bet the "remaining 85k" line is actually "the 85k remaining troops scheduled to be withdrawn" leaving plenty of room for any amount to be left there.

We've never left any nation we invaded. Bases and troops all over the world.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Well at least the Americans are selling the stuff off this time compared to desert storm where they were just leaving pallets of hand grenades in the desert (true story)

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Not the first time this story has run of the first garage sale we've held in Iraq.

www.wired.com...] U.S. Embassy in Baghdad Holds Garage Sale

I hate it when they recycle stories as if they're new. Ha. And no, we;re never leaving Iraq.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
Only moving their pieces around the chess board .They're not going anywhere but Iran . As soon as the next flotilla in Gaza is attacked it will be reset , new game ,GAME OVER .

I think Iran has bottled out on that one don't you.

Looks like the UN is happy to see that sending aid convoys is an act of war through them zionist coloured glasses they are wearing.

The US can not get out of Iraq without invading Iran else the two might become freinds and iserail won't be allowed to continue to kill it's captives in the gaza strip.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LieBuster

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac

I think Iran has bottled out on that one don't you.

Looks like the UN is happy to see that sending aid convoys is an act of war through them zionist coloured glasses they are wearing.

The US can not get out of Iraq without invading Iran else the two might become freinds and iserail won't be allowed to continue to kill it's captives in the gaza strip.

I agree , I mean the same thing as you . What does the term bottled out mean friend ? I hope you have not misunderstood the game over part , I do not mean game over for Iran or game over for the U.S .I mean game over for us all when that one starts .

new topics

top topics

join