It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forced Drug & Alcohol Testing to get Unemployment Benefits

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Accountant
ok. Let me understand something. If govt wants to check that the people getting the unemployment benefits are using it for necessisities of life or on Cannabis. its an infringement of privacy.

well, you americans area bit pampared. in My country we dont have the concept of Unemployment benefits, in hard times we work harder, try to undercut the least pay worker and try to acquire important skills.

But u guys wont do that. I wonder why????

Um, yeah... great system ya got there!
How are those slave wages working out for ya? Just think, in a few more years you might be lucky enough to trade in that dirt floor in your hut for a rug!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretGoldfish

I am not saying that USA should be more like INDIA.Dont put words in my mouth. What i want to say is that what your government is doing is correct. benefit should go to people who will be using it and not to those who will be pissing it away. You guys should support this initiative

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretGoldfish

Exactly, what people needs to understand is that with the financial crisis states are borrowing like crazy in order to sustain the states programs, benefits from welfare food, stamps, pensions and so on.

The money now been pay out is no longer money in funds is money coming from the borrowing to the federal government.

As the unemployment rates increases, states will gouge the ones that still work and pay taxes, but as higher income pay jobs (no the rich and wealthy) keeps losing their incomes the jobs created in service sector are lower wages that many in this jobs still need government state sponsored help, so right now benefits are been payed out more than tax income been generated.

People think that everything is peachy, but they have not clue that most states in the nation are in the brink of bankruptcy they will not become aware until the pensions start to become IOUs.

Who is going to pay for that at the end? the reminding tax payer in the nation with Federal government bailouts.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
They should also be tested for healthy eating habits, proper vitamin consumptions, and sex addiction.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Just so you know not all police departments do random drug testing only if an incident that requires it like an accident. Yes the military will test you only once a year so if you know when it is you can pass it. All I am saying is that if the unemployed are to be tested randomly the rest of the people on federal money should be tested just as much as an unemployed citizen. As far as this getting past congress I wouldn't hold my breath as this has been discussed many times before. The legal problems that this raises will do nothing but stall this bill and just put the unemployed without the benefits that they need. I wish the lawmakers of this country would wake up and see the problems that are going on in this country.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

I don't really see the federal government getting into this one, as like many had said is not the federal government the one that regulates how unemployment benefits are to be pay out, that is the individual states rights.

Yes the federal government regulates the rates when needed but when it comes to pay out benefits and qualifications is the states any drug testing will come from the state.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

Um, yeah... great system ya got there! How are those slave wages working out for ya? Just think, in a few more years you might be lucky enough to trade in that dirt floor in your hut for a rug!!!

I dunno, but maybe, they are working a full time job for an American based company because the American worker demands too high of a salary, and in order for that American based company to stay in business, they have to move operations overseas.

Just a thought. To me, greed is killing the American economy.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Um, yeah... great system ya got there! How are those slave wages working out for ya? Just think, in a few more years you might be lucky enough to trade in that dirt floor in your hut for a rug!!!

I dunno, but maybe, they are working a full time job for an American based company because the American worker demands too high of a salary, and in order for that American based company to stay in business, they have to move operations overseas.

Just a thought. To me, greed is killing the American economy.

If you want to see whats truly killing the American economy, try taking a look at the United States Government.

Thats the real problem, not greed.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
WoW what a bunch of hypocrites. You want freedom at all costs, but you deny it to your neighbor.

I don't drink or use drugs, but I will not forbid another their choice of poisoning themselves.

No on this invasion of privacy!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

This isnt an invasion of privacy.

It is a stipulation in order to receive an unemployment check.

They are free not to sign up for UI.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

If you want to see whats truly killing the American economy, try taking a look at the United States Government.

Thats the real problem, not greed.

I disagree, the government has little to do with business. The problem comes when people constantly are demanding more more more for the same product. (this includes labor) this is what causes inflation. Prices go up, and eventually the corporation decides to ship out labor overseas in order to keep that same profit.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

The government has very little to do with busines????????????

Are you serious?

Ever heard of taxes?

Regulation?

Minimum wage and other labor laws?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
What if they took drugs whilst working and paying taxes ? then made unemployed through economic reasons ...they have paid taxes the same as everybody else ? have they not.....why should their benefits be withdrawn?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by gambon
What if they took drugs whilst working and paying taxes ? then made unemployed through economic reasons ...they have paid taxes the same as everybody else ? have they not.....why should their benefits be withdrawn?

Because it could prevent them from getting a job.

I dont agree with it, but thats the way it is currently.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

How , if they have already had a job?and paid taxes , why should a special case be made , they paid their taxes they should be entitles to benefits

How will this work in states thet have decrimimalised cannabis?for medical reasons , surely an infringement on state law?

This is just another way of a government acting tough on the weakest in society, easy prey , tell everyone the unemployed are lazy, druggies etc , ignore the bankers , tax evaders etc, take on the weakest instead......

[edit on 21-6-2010 by gambon]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by gambon

A private business has the right to require any form of pre-employment drug testing that it finds necessary.

What, do you want to give the unemployed a permission slip to do whatever they want since they used to have a job and in turn force a potential new employer to accept that permission slip?

FYI, since it seems to be a big issue with you, just because someone had money withheld doesnt equate to them actually paying taxes.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I think drug testing for unemployment insurance benefits is wrong. The only reason I see it that way is because when your working, you pay into unemployment, kinda like an insurance premium. When your out of work, your just collecting your premium.

However, drug testing those recieving Social Security benefits (with the important exception of those people who are retired, i.e. worked and paid in to SS up to the age of 65) would be a good idea, with the proper rehabilitation and 3 strikes-like programs in place. Most employers drug test, why not those "employed" by the state.

Drug testing should also be applied to people who work for the state and federal government buerocracies, including the politicians. If you cash a check from state, piss in a cup basically.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Business taxes are quite comparable with the rest of the world. Regulation, labor laws and minimum wage are cost factors that corporations use to determine the bottom line of the company, if it's cheaper to produce a product in another company than to produce it in the United States, well, they will move the operation to the other country won't they?

You don't go into business to pay employees, you go into business to make money, when a bunch of over payed under worked employees are willing to strike in order to cut into your bottom line even more.

Want to know why Detroit is in the state it's in? Unions.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by indianajoe77

Wrong.

Employees do not pay into the UI fund, their employers do

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Business taxes are quite comparable with the rest of the world. Regulation, labor laws and minimum wage are cost factors that corporations use to determine the bottom line of the company, if it's cheaper to produce a product in another company than to produce it in the United States, well, they will move the operation to the other country won't they?

You don't go into business to pay employees, you go into business to make money, when a bunch of over payed under worked employees are willing to strike in order to cut into your bottom line even more.

Want to know why Detroit is in the state it's in? Unions.

Correct to a certain extent.

Taxes on businesses can be very high depending on the industry and revenue. As we all know, taxes are passed on to the end consumer in the form of higher prices.

You states government wasnt involved in business, I simply pointed out that was incorrect.

Unions are a joke, and luckily more and more people are starting to see the harm they cause.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join