It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge favored by BP has financial ties to oil industry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Houston, Texas (CNN) -- The judge that BP wants to hear an estimated 200 lawsuits over the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster gets tens of thousands of dollars a year in oil royalties and is paid travel expenses to industry conferences, financial disclosure forms show.

Lawyers who practice before U.S. District Judge Lynn Hughes say he's tough but fair, and a CNN review of his cases found he ruled in favor of oil companies only slightly more often than he ruled against them. But his connections to the industry have raised eyebrows at a time when BP is under fire for the worst oil spill in U.S. history.

Federal financial disclosure forms obtained by CNN show that since 2003, Hughes has consistently been paid annual fees from the oil and gas industry, mostly in the form of lease payments for wells and mineral rights on land he owns. None of the payments comes from BP, but his holdings include mutual funds that draw income from Anadarko Petroleum, a minority owner in the well now pouring up to 2.5 million gallons a day into the Gulf.

In some cases, the amounts are significant. In others, the payments are relatively small.

Oil giant ConocoPhillips paid him between $50,000 and $100,000 in 2008, the last year in which records are publicly available. In a note attached to the 2008 form, Hughes said he expected the amounts to be relatively similar for 2009. He gets smaller amounts from smaller producers such as Sun Oil, Everest Oil and Wagner Oil, which pay for the right to drill oil and gas from lands he owns.

The federal disclosure form does not require exact amounts, only estimates and approximate figures.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.cnn.com...

This is hardly surprising at all. What's really sad, is that anyone appointed over this mess is going to have oil ties and these ties will be minimized. I expect the cover up to go full blown in the next several months and frankly, I'm surprised that CNN is even reporting on this. Even if this judge gets passed up for another, that other will will be connected somehow and I'm sure s/he will not only show leniency to BP, but they will also aid in the inevitable cover up. The "elites" will win out again, as they always do. Americans and people of the world need to wake up and start holding these people, corporations and governments accountable for their actions, lest we find ourselves completely flat on our bums.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
What disturbs me is this: " The judge that BP wants to hear an estimated 200 lawsuits over the Gulf of Mexico oil disaster "

How does BP get to pick their own judge?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
There should be juries for this kind of crap! Not corrupt 'in-the-pocket' judges!

IRM

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Maybe the judge that is sorting out the mess should_be from overseas and not in/from U.S.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I believe that juries will preside over the actual lawsuits, however the judge calls the shots on what the jurors can or can't do, making his position an extremely important one. The jurty only decides on the case, while the judge runs the whole show. They only hear what the judge wants them to.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
wow, another nail in the coffin that is just proof that TPTB dont give a crap about anybody or anything except their own pockets. I hope this doesnt come to fruition but I also know that my hopes on this are futile.

join