It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant 80 Meter Wide Sinkhole Opens in China

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
A giant sinkhole appears in China again, diameter 80 meters!!!

Families in a southern Chinese town have been moved to safety after a massive hole appeared in a school yard. Starting to form six months ago after intense rainfalls caused land slips, it now measures 80 metres in diameter. Several buildings around the sinkhole have been cracked and damaged. Earlier this month, another giant sinkhole made the news when it opened up in Guatemala.

www.youtube.com...

So here we go again, why suddenly all these sinkholes???

itn.co.uk...

www.niburu.nl...

When i'm gone, you now where to find me

[edit on 17-6-2010 by ni91ck]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

w....t....f....

Okay, now I am weirded out.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
removed: nevermind...might be grasping at straws

[edit on 17-6-2010 by nunya13]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I really dont feel it is a real cause for concern. yes we have heard more sinkholes lately...but not really just this one, and the one in Guatemala. What most people need to understand, is that we are living in a time of communication. Especially these past 2 years.

1.we have internet on our cellphones, making news,stories,and videos a lot more accessible. As well, we have video/camera on our phones now, allowing us to be our own individual type of news source.

2. We have websites that our literally devoted to allowing people to communicate with each other, from far distances, in seemingly quick amounts of time. To name a few; Twitter,Facebook, MSN, Yahoo, even ATS.
Its much easier to communicate, and talk, swap stories then it was 5 years ago. Just yesterday i was at the doctors, and i trolled ats, youtube,facebook,twitter and read things that i normally wouldn't have looked for.

NEWS and INFORMATION is everywhere, a lot faster. It seems like a lot is going on nowadays, but in reality...its just the first time we have all been able to pay attention to all of it.
Earthquakes,sinkholes etc....they are pretty much the same level as last year, it just SEEMS a lot more is going on, because like i said...we are actually PAYING attention to it nowadays =]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Looks scary but there could stop tomorrow.
What could cause it ? drilling, pressure of the plates.
I'd like to think underground caves or openings just giving way and its slowly being filled up.

Get a camera down it.

Someone go buy a rather large plug.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by thecrow001]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Its not the plug that needs to be large its the wire, but true maybe a camera should be fed down it to see whats going on, get more of a perspective on things then.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rolls_royce_7

No point in buying a chain, someone always breaks it.

On second thoughts do we want a camera down there who knows, we might see some aliens living underground.

or even the devil smiling back up at us. Freaky

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Happy there wher no people involved. Stil its all around the world. I think the structure of the world is changing. I had a thread similar like this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Aliens living underground? its abit out there but sure a possibility. caves underground is more likely though im thinking.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rolls_royce_7

Again I say.

LOCUSTS!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Hollow earth????

Just a thougt

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Locusts!? i dont get you.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Okay..I tried to find out when the first sinkhole appeared?

en.wikipedia.org...

Still none the wiser.......................seems to me this is the lastest phenomenon

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
this is the first ive really heard of a sink hole to be honest, did not expect them.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Don't Call The Guatemala Sinkhole a Sinkhole

The giant sinkhole that opened beneath downtown Guatemala City over the weekend is all the rage right now. There's just one problem: it isn't a sinkhole.

"Sure, it looks a lot like a sinkhole," geologist Sam Bonis told Discovery News from his home in Guatemala. "And a whale looks a lot like a fish, but calling it one would be very misleading." Read more on the story here:

news.discovery.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Atlas is shrugging.

Like with the oil gusher. She's saying "you guys think oil is so great?
Here ya go...have a big dose of it".

See? Shrugging.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ni91ck

From your link.....for people who are too lazy to click on it. Like me, but curiosity got the best of me.

Instead, Bonis prefers the term "piping feature" -- a decidedly less sexy label for the 100-foot deep, 66-foot wide circular chasm. But it's an important distinction, he maintains, because "sinkholes" refer to areas where bedrock is solid but has been eaten away by groundwater, forming a geological Swiss cheese whose contours are nearly impossible to predict.

The situation beneath the country's capital is far different, and more dangerous.

The lion's share of the city is built on pumice fill -- ash flows made up of loose, gravel-like particles deposited during ancient volcanic eruptions. In places, the debris is piled over 600 feet thick, filling up what would otherwise be a v-shaped valley of faulted bedrock. For those peering into the deep dark depths wondering what might be at the bottom, it's either more pumice fill or bedrock. Mixed with a healthy dose of wreckage from the swallowed-up clothing factory.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I think all the sink holes are signs of what happpens when the well runs dry. Pumping water out of a well and then using drainage which pumps the water off somewhere else leaves a cavern. When thhe cavern drys out enough you get a sink whole when the cavern colapses.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I must keep the people buzy, because they get lazy

You all can grab a shuffle and put some oil in the hole.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
So the sinkhole swallowed the school playground? I bet some little Chinese kid with a really big brain is punching himself for making something that swallowed up the school playground and not his intended target, the school itself.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join