It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's wrong with the sun?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Here I thought I was the only one who thought the Sun revolves around the United States and we are the center of the Universe, nice to meet a kindered spirit.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

now we need to find someone that believes the universe revolves around us

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I haven't followed this too closely, but I'm hoping this won't cause another Ice Age or something. I looked up the wiki article for 'Maunder Minimum' because I'd never heard of it, and they mention that the 'Little Ice Age' coincided with one of those periods, though they suspect other factors also came into play to amplify the effect, since we don't go into ice ages every 11 years, obviously.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by metalholic

I have no problem with it. Just saying, that the aliens could have the same problem we have about explaning our origins, our DNA, etc. Why should all the credit go to aliens, it just seems to easy. Nature, God or whatever (insert theory of creator) obviously had to create the first aliens, why shouldn't the same apply for us, and we just haven't found a good enough explanation/theory yet? Perhabs we are missing some facts....

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
in the last few years our Sol has been inundated with a goodly ammount of space debris, from asteroids to comets...

just look what happened when Jupiter was struck by the string of loose-rock/ice comet fragments

the Sun has to process this foreign material into its 'furnace'
in the meantime the solid material has altered the properties of the fuel in pretty large pockets, thus altering the magnetic & plazma fields of the surface... another few years & it may return closer to its old cycle

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Wait so.. if a Maunder Minnimum is associated with cold weather.. would that cause Global Warming to decrease? Just thinking out load here.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JokerzReality

i think the most complicated equations take the simplest answers sometimes...wouldnt you agree? saying there is one mighty god that created everything possibly himself is to easy!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkwashere13
Wait so.. if a Maunder Minnimum is associated with cold weather.. would that cause Global Warming to decrease? Just thinking out load here.

That would depend on the cause of global warming. It also assumes global warming even exists, which I believe it does not.

Assuming it does exist, though, it would be only a temporary reprieve at best, I would think, because 1) the minimum is not guaranteed to drop temperatures and 2) even if it did, it might not outlast or overpower the global warming effect.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
It sounds like a few people who've posted here didnt read the whole article, just the bit that was posted. I was going to post this when I found it but because I've only just signed up it won't let me create new topics or something, so I'm glad someone else noticed it.

Now, I dont claim to know loads about this stuff but I know the basics of the Maunder Minimum and various sun cycles and judging by this paragraph towards the end of the article:

''What the sun will do next is beyond our ability to predict. Most astronomers think that the solar cycle will proceed, but at significantly depressed levels of activity similar to those last seen in the 19th century. However, there is also evidence that the sun is inexorably losing its ability to produce sunspots (see "The sunspot forecast"). By 2015, they could be gone altogether, plunging us into a new Maunder minimum - and perhaps a new Little Ice Age''

It seems like thats very well what could happen. I believe that people in general seem to under-estimate the role of the sun in our climate espeicaly when it comes to sun spots. If this is just part of a bigger cycle and there is a long extended period of time when the sun does not produce sun spots for some reason it could be starting now. This might explain why the past few winters have been perticualy bad in europe? (I'm from the UK) It says in the article that during the Maunder Minimum there were many colder than average winters in northen europe and the ''average temperature in Europe appeared to drop by between 1 and 2 °C.'' Just a suggestion...
It's actualy a really good article, anyone who's interested in stuff like that should take a look

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by impend

While the Maunder Minimum did coincide with the "little ice age", it's difficult to reconcile the fact that the cooling was not global with solar activity as being the cause. Correlation does not imply causation.

There is evidence that cooling in the northern hemisphere at the time could have been related to other factors including volcanic activity and changes in oceanic currents.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JokerzReality

Originally posted by metalholic

they will cry knowing that we are an alien creation!

Well, who created the aliens then??

Ohhhhhhhh SNAP! LMAO....bet he didn't see that one comin' huh?
Love your style Joker, but it's difficult to argue with someone who seems convinced that they already have the answer.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"- Socrates.

So, anyway, how 'bout them sunspots eh? Hopefully us here on the Gulf Coast will have long since been blown to smithereens by the Apacalyptic methane tsunami before everybody else that hasn't been crushed by an earthquake or cooked by a volcano, gets fried by the sun in 2012.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WashMoreFeet

Five to one, baby
One in five
No one here gets out alive, now
You get yours, baby
I'll get mine
Gonna make it, baby
If we try

Come on!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6/19/2010 by Phage]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The old get old
and the young get stronger
it may take a week
and it may take longer

Well, I guess not too much longer since the event horizon of all existence as we know it is just around the corner. That's what they keep tellin me anyway. Vive le sol revolution in 12/12....yee-haw

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by impend

Thanks for posting and welcome to ATS, enjoy reading the thousands of topics here.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by psilo simon
i know man, but hey regardless of what happens, sun related or closer to home, whether it falls apart or not, doom and gloom or not, I rest easy knowing the concious element of ourselves is eternal. I love it man.

How did you work that out? Sounds like ignorant delusion to me, typical of the Religious mindset.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by The Blind Watchmaker

Perhaps he writes that because of energy. In a sense energy can never be destroyed and since we all are made up of atoms which in turn are made up from energy. We will never die. Or something like that.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join