It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada: Millions of litres of sewage, dangerous liquids accidentally dumped in cities over the years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
www.thestar.com...

Quote from source:

Far more sewage has been spilled in Canadian urban centres over the last six years than any other harmful contaminant, newly released figures show.

An analysis by The Canadian Press reveals hundreds of millions of litres of sewage, as well as many other dangerous liquids, have been dumped right under Canadians' noses.

This never-before-released information has been kept in a classified government database called NEMISIS. The acronym stands for National Enforcement Management Information System and Intelligence System.

Federal enforcement officers use the database to go after polluters.

It took The Canadian Press two years and a complaint to the information commissioner to pry the data from Environment Canada under the Access to Information Act. The news agency then created its own spills database using the government information, which covers the period from January 2004 to this past April.

I wanted to share this information because it is just disgusting how the government treats our environment.

The analysis looked at spills in 18 cities and metropolitan areas across 10 provinces.

They include the metropolitan areas of Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, and the cities of Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Hamilton, Windsor, Ont., Quebec City, Fredericton, Moncton, N.B., Saint John, N.B., Charlottetown, Halifax and St. John's, N.L.

The database lists 6,555 spills in those parts of the country since 2004. Some spills are minor, while others run over hundreds of millions of litres. The most frequently spilled contaminants are petroleum products. They account for 3,596 spills, or about 55 per cent of all entries.

This is sick. I live in calgary and nice to know that sewage, and perhaps tons of oil has been dumped into our rivers and lakes.

At least the U.S. can cheer up a bit because Canada dislikes the environment as well.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I heard that a lot of sewage dumping and jet fuel spills happened in our Arctic over the last couple of years also. It's ridiculous this is happening with the technology for treatment plants, but our infrastructure is crumbling as they are spending our tax dollars on stupid fake lakes and cr@p like that instead

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I was just in Toronto for my high school prom. It was on a boat, and the water was noticeably discolored in some parts.

Really fun city, but badly polluted in some parts. As i recall, illegal dumping of toxic wastes is a problem here.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Amazing that the title of this thread contains the word "accidentally" among the rest of that foul combination of words.

Well, the prescription drugs and depleted uranium is not working fast enough apparently....

[edit on 13-6-2010 by KillenfizzenHumboflorator]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
I was just in Toronto for my high school prom. It was on a boat, and the water was noticeably discolored in some parts.

Really fun city, but badly polluted in some parts. As i recall, illegal dumping of toxic wastes is a problem here.

It's funny how people aren't all up in arms about this kind of crap....

PEOPLE ARE DUMPING TOXIC WASTE INTO THE WATER WE DRINK.

HELLO!??!! ALARM BELLS GOING OFF YET?

WHAT is going through someones head when they dump toxic waste into a lake river or ocean?

It just boggles the mind how dumb and heartless people are.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Looking_Glass]

top topics

join