It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Logic or intuition?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Well I over analyze my logic and intuition so I am not sure which one I use.....I do have great intuition but sometimes I can't tell if it's that or something else.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I think that people are being quite logical in their answers

I mean, most here seems to be saying that they use both depending on the situation and that is also my answer. When you need to make quick decisions, when the information is not available, or when my intelligence - which is barely larger than my footprint, which isn't big - fails me, I use intuition.

I guess there's not much other options after all.

-v

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Both have their place. There is no question in my mind that intuition is real. I see it in terms of "sensing" and "feeling", which I think comes from different places in the brain/mind. It makes sense to me that some aspects of intuition can be described as "extra-rational thought". Intuition and logic may be mutually exclusive, but they may not be at all. A lot depends on how well we are as individuals in parallel processing. We know a lot about the brain, but not everything. What we know about the mind is more limited. It's like the difference between knowledge and understanding...one is more specific, the other more general.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I look at the problem logically, then listen to my intuition to see if there is something that can provide.
If it's a decision outside of my own realm and involving my life, I then ask my husband and we decide together. Sometimes two heads are better than one.
And if I still am wondering or it's a really MAJOR decision...I pray and listen for an answer and go with that.
Yep, a skeptic who is Christian.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Intuition mostly, especially during math-tests

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Best way I can put it is...

With Knowledge comes power, with power comes responsibility, with responsibilty comes accountability, with accountability comes maturity, with maturity comes wisdom and with wisdom comes infinity.

The problem comes from peoples understanding of the word knowledge. Its not textbook as the world would tell you it is.

[edit on 13-6-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Intuition. I am partial to the idea that the subconscious communicates through the language of 'feelings'.
My point of view possibly stems from the fact that I am predominantly right-brained. Also quite probably because I consider logic to be a relatively boring concept when compared to imagination and perception.

Don't be hatin', that's just how I see it.

That's not to say that I ignore logic when the situation requires it. Lucky for me, I am human, and I therefore have the ability to think clearly and logically at will. However, I am more intuitively-based when it comes to my general beliefs and day-to-day take on events and situations. Sound like a logical explanation to you ?

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

Right Brain v Left Brain

[edit on 13/6/10 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It will be interesting to see what you all think over the next couple of years. Keep this topic in mind, guys. I'll be here to pat you on the back when you change your tune. Or maybe when you change your definition of logic and where it resides.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
LOGIC doesn't always seem to pan out, But INTUITION always seems to.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Originally posted by XXXN3O
reply to post by v01i0

With Knowledge comes power

Well, it came knocking, but I didn't let it in.

Originally posted by XXXN3O
The problem comes from peoples understanding of the word knowledge. Its not textbook as the world would tell you it is.

I know, theres a text book information, then there's knowledge which you speak about. Knowledge and information are two distinct things. Knowledge however can be based on information - mostly but not always

-v

[edit on 14-6-2010 by v01i0]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Care to explain more?

-v

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
In case of logical reasoning, there is a deliberate, conscious and somewhat longer method of analyzing the facts and coming to a conclusion. In case of intuition, I think that all the processing of information is done at a subconscious level and we directly arrive at the conclusion. Subsequently, we feel as if we are guided by hunch. I think if we consciously use logical reasoning to similar type of problems over a period of time, we will develop enough capability to think intuitively to tackle a similar problems in the future.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by v01i0

Logic is flawed from the outset simply because we select the information we consider to be relevant, and then we use only the bits that don't threaten our preconceived notions. This ensured the continued catastrophic effects we see around us daily. Was it logical to try to seal the oil spill with a concrete box? Someone with lots of bits of paper attesting to their superior mind thought so. I laughed my arse off at the thought of it, but I'm no engineer. I heal with my hands. Who was right? Somebody made a hiring mistake.

So, let's understand and acknowledge that logic is teh fail. Nonduality is illogical. How can something be immensely huge and immeasurably small at the same time? How can it be both hot and cold? How can it be both dark and light? Perspective would be the answer. We humans lack perspective. We don't even know what we don't know so how can we analyze anything with any semblance of accuracy? We can't. But when we allow ourselves to acknowledge all the stimuli from outside as well as from within, we open ourselves to so very much more than we could ever collect "logically". We simply lack the organs with which to collect said information.

Our understanding and comprehension must reach deeper and extend wider than logic allows. Intuition is exactly that. That's how we connect with the grid of consciousness. That is how we speak to the "dead" (because time is not linear, remember). That is how we know when the person we were just thinking about will call on the phone. That's how a mother knows when her child is sad or hungry or ill. There's no magic to it. You just have to be open to the stimuli. It's all out there. It's just missed because we choose to miss it. Choose not to and you will receive that information as well as we Intuitives do.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I hope you realize that your intuitions are quite capable of err as well!

If you're so against logic, you might as well never attempt to speak, or type, or reason, or do just about anything ever again, as most everything you do requires logic.

To say that logic if flawed is well....illogical!

It seems you're not thinking intuitively.

Both are needed to balance the other out.

Without the two working in unison, problems arise like mental retardation, and psychosis.

Obviously you're not retarded. I'll just leave the rest open for interpretation.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

Was it logical to try to seal the oil spill with a concrete box? Someone with lots of bits of paper attesting to their superior mind thought so. I laughed my arse off at the thought of it, but I'm no engineer. I heal with my hands. Who was right? Somebody made a hiring mistake.So, let's understand and acknowledge that logic is teh fail.

Then why dont you take your healing hands to the gulf and offer to lay them on the gusher? See, you pick ONE example of logic failing, and over look the millions of examples of it succeeding. Such as the computer you use, and the planes flying around, and the buildings you live in, etc., etc., ...

Nonduality is illogical. How can something be immensely huge and immeasurably small at the same time? How can it be both hot and cold? How can it be both dark and light?

You are speaking as if there is only one kind of logic. The "this or that" kind. Logic is actually a living field, and there are people proposing ways to deal with these sorts of issues that come up in physics in particular. I would say duality is not illogical. It is logical, we simply dont have all the kinks worked out in how to describe it.

Perspective would be the answer. We humans lack perspective. We don't even know what we don't know so how can we analyze anything with any semblance of accuracy? We can't. But when we allow ourselves to acknowledge all the stimuli from outside as well as from within, we open ourselves to so very much more than we could ever collect "logically". We simply lack the organs with which to collect said information.

Interestingly enough, although you are making it out as if intuition comes from some extra human source, the more expert you are in a field, the more likely it is that your "intuitions" regarding it will turn out to be correct. I do not think all intuition is "a priori" some at least intuition is information gathered by the senses, but processed by a part of the mind that is not able to explain what it is doing, as the rational part of the mind is. Now some intuition may indeed be "without knowledge" in the sense that you yourself have not every been exposed to anything anywhere that would lead you to that conclusion. It may be that there is a non-learned source for some kinds of knowing. I personally suspect there is, from an experience I myself had, but that doesnt mean ALL intuition is "knowing that has no learned component."

Choose not to and you will receive that information as well as we Intuitives do.

I think the problem is that you are trying to make it seem as if people are against intuition. I am not. But I am also not against examining intuition logically where we are able. I like looking at the studies where they use brain imaging to see what parts of the brain are active, I like seeing the studies that quantify how accurate different kinds of intuition are. I dont see any problem in adding "knowledge" to "knowing."

Curiosity about who we are, what we do, how we do it, those are the things that drive mystics and scientists alike. There is no reason not to use both functions of the human brain, as long as you use them wisely, where they work best.

You yourself are using logic to argue against the use of logic at times. And there is nothing wrong with that.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I appreciate your effort to clarify your views

However I think your accusation of logic is bit unfair. Logic can fail, that's granted. But logics fails when the information in which the logics are based on is flawed and/or the employer of logics applies it on errorous manner. In one's opinion, it is pretty same as with intuition. If intuition is based on feelings (rather emotions) it's likely to be false.

That is merely my take on it. Thanks for the ellobration.

-v

[edit on 14-6-2010 by v01i0]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join