It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bulldoze 1 Million New Homes or else the US Economy falls off a cliff

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienreality
These people got their educations from the prize in a box of cracker jacks

How dare you? Why I bet their parents paid for them to go to the finest universities in the world.

Comparing their education to the prize in a box of cracker jacks is boorish and unsophisticated. I think a better comparison would be a prize you get with a Happy Meal from Mcdonalds, like Shrek 3d glasses (Now with vitamin Cadmium)

Sure they give your kids brain damage. But don't they look awesome?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
heh heh
the night shift round here is awsome
i went from couldn't sleep to didn't want to sleep
thanks a lot

having some Irish in me among all kind of other random DNA
I'm just going to say the Irish aren't stupid
the bank controlled leaders are...
as they are in every country

if this was a kingdom you'd be a king
if this was an empire you'd be an emperor
if it was a caliphate you'd be a calif...
but it isn't...
it's a country...

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
I'm just going to say the Irish aren't stupid

Well I don't know maybe they are if they ever thought I was implying that. Sounds like a guilty conscience to me.

I wasn't calling Irish fools at all. Rather I was having a go at Keynesian economists. Who, along with their Neo Classical nemesis, generally stuff up economies world wide because their theories have no actual basis in reality.

And every time they are given a basis, ie "Sub Prime Mortgage Crisis, TARP" everyone ends up broke and worse off except the people who caused the problem in the first place.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I wrote about this trap we are in here:
paimei01.blogspot.com...

Why we can't stop working when we have the stuff, we have to keep destroying the planet, else - no jobs. Crazy.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This is what happens when managing the economy becomes the prime purpose of a government or society. Human needs take a back seat to commodities, and human beings become treated as statistics, whose only value is their productive capacity or economic worth.

An extreme case in point was Soviet Russia in the early 30s, when Stalin sold millions of tons of grain, confiscated from peasants, to the international community to fund his industrialization plan, while many millions of Russians starved to death. Not much different from destroying homes to manage real estate prices, while millions of Americans go homeless. I am not a bleeding heart liberal, but somehow this just feels very wrong.

Our homes and properties are being stolen by the banks, in collusion with a corrupt government, exactly as Thomas Jefferson predicted 200 years ago. The current economic (fascist) system, needs to go.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Angiras]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by belial259

hey i wasn't being critical
the joke refers to leaders
its an old joke about brian mulrooney (sic)
our canadian PM who gave us free trade

i agree with you on taarp stuff
anjiras too

this facist stuff is what has to go
peace

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei

Why we can't stop working when we have the stuff, we have to keep destroying the planet, else - no jobs. Crazy.

America also pays it's farmers not to grow stuff.

Let's face it we're just too good at working.

Over productivity is a great reason for the introduction of the implemntation of the 20 hour week week.

Let's all start working 1/2 as much.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by Freedom or Death]

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
i think it was zeitgeist i heard it, that 1 in 3 homeless in the US are veterans, why not give it to them? these guys fought for us and now they need help, and yet were suppose to believe we have to many homes? we dont EVER have to many homes until we have ZERO homeless. their only problem to b!tch about is money!

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by out west
I've been saying this to my friends for the last year. Not new homes but all those crappy ass houses and condos and townhouses that were built quick and shoddy with toxic loans and toxic manufactured wood. Bulldoze all that crap. All those crappy ass old houses that the uppies bought to fix up and flip. Its all toxic. I work in the construction industries so first hand I know this what we need. That crap will never sell. get rid of it.

Edit: Ok I had a heart bump. try to reclaim the good lumber.

[edit on 9-6-2010 by out west]

You got me started about the rubbish that passes for common construction practices today.
Go into a pre 1955 home and pound on the front door. Nothing moves.
Pound on the front door of one of these 2x4 studded vinyl clad set designs that they tell you is a home and the whole side of the house shakes like a drum.

I got locked out of a friends new home and I looked at the 2x4 wall... and the door frame... and then pushed a flat spade shovel into the edge of the door frame next to latch and was able to push THE WALL OF THE HOUSE AWAY FROM THE DOOR FRAME so it unlatched and i got back in.

When you see storm damage... it is more often the new homes that get ripped to pieces... there is less there.

A house is a stage set for the theatrical you call your life.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
and what a waste of money that was before the crash happened. yeah, the thing is..thier idea is to use THIER destruction crews, not someone who needs work who was laid off who has degrees or experince with jobs like this. its THIER boys, not us*

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
This is incredibly short cited. The problem is not the number of houses driving prices down, it is the lack of people with the ability to buy the houses at the current prices because they are in debt up to their eyeballs.

If the lending hadn't got so stupid, with loans being handed out for interest only, practically no money down and balloon payments to people with fraudulent paperwork, the prices never would have got to the ridiculous levels you are desperate to try to re inflate them too.

Historically a house should cost between 3-4 times the average gross wage. All that is happening is the ridiculous bubble is bursting and prices are going back to historical norms.

This is not something to fight, this is absolutely what is needed for a healthy economy.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by proximo

I agree. The only reason to destroy the houses is to protect the bank's balance sheet, to protect those who bought in at the peak of the housing bubble (mostly speculators), and to raise the prices on the millions of foreclosed homes that have yet to be put on the market. I say let the houses stand, and let the market decline to the point where working people can afford to buy houses once again.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Freedom or Death

..so the idea is to destroy perfectly good homes.... to build new homes.. to get construction people back to work...

Is this what we have been reduced to?

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom or Death
America also pays it's farmers not to grow stuff.

Let's face it we're just too good at working.

Over productivity is a great reason for the introduction of the implemntation of the 20 hour week week.

Let's all start working 1/2 as much.

This is basically what people in the 1950s and 1960s predicted would be happening by now. (That is, those people who weren't predicting post-nuclear apocalypses, of course).

Instead it seems the corporate masters have decided it makes more $$ for the tippy-top of the pyramid to simply open up competition to the widest possible labor market (i.e., offshoring jobs to the third world, etc., not to mention encouraging more women to compete for better jobs, effectively doubling the labor pool).

From a purely number-crunching point of view it makes a lot of economic sense for those at the very top, although its extremely harsh for the "squeezed middle." Psychologically, it was hard for mid-20th-century intellectuals to accept or even imagine that the labor pool would "roll over" so easily for this tactic, because they lived in an era where (whether you believe its right or wrong) "labor" had a lot more clout. Unions had more power, there were strikes regularly, and workers were conscious of themselves as workers. From a Machiavellian perspective, it was a psychological/sociological masterstroke to get the masses to vote and think in terms of their aspirations rather than their current conditions. Everyone began to think of themselves as "pre-rich" or potentially rich, and thus to identify with the top 1% income bracket...even if by sheer mathematical logic, 99% have no chance of ever reaching such hights.

The other major error that mid-20th-century intellectuals made was that they almost universally (with a few visionary exceptions) expected religion would be dead by the 21st century. They didn't realize that most people can't live in a purely antiseptic, 100%-scientific and logical mindset. Psychologically, people crave religion for all sorts of reasons (again, whether you or I personally think that's a good thing or not). Religion proved much more durable than imagined. But that's another topic.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
[edit on 9/6/10 by Dermo]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

..so the idea is to destroy perfectly good homes.... to build new homes.. to get construction people back to work...

Is this what we have been reduced to?

Don't forget all the jobs that will be created in destroying these homes and hauling away the debris.

Also let's not forget that idle construction vehicles don't burn fuel or need regular maintenance and replacement unless they are put to use. The people in many industries will benifit from the destruction and rebuilding of 1 million empty homes.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Freedom or Death]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

OK this is ludicrous these homes can be sold at reduced rates or given away to people in desperate need of housing. Why is it always about the bottom line??? This is just absolutely astonoshing. Bulldoze them??? HUH???

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

OK this is ludicrous these homes can be sold at reduced rates or given away to people in desperate need of housing.

Why is it always about the bottom line??? This is just absolutely astonoshing. Bulldoze them??? HUH???

Obviously you haven't been to Phoenix, Arizona lately.

Houses were at reduced rates in 2008 after the housing bubble burst. Two years later they are substantially cheaper.

Giving away free houses to poor people is not an option. The people who payed for thier houses would be mad and the people who have lost thier houses would be even madder than they are already.

Without bulldozing empty houses it could be a decade or an entire generation before Phoenix begins to see housing prices climb again.

[edit on 10-6-2010 by Freedom or Death]

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom or Death

Houses were at reduced rates in 2008 after the housing bubble burst. Two years later they are substantially cheaper.

You can't give them away to poor people either.

Well what do they expect? People that jumped in on the craze and got into the boom got wiped out. They don't have any money. The banks aren't giving them credit. They have no savings. Why would they buy a house now when they can save whatever little money they have for when the prices go down?

Yes the house prices are meant to go down in line with wages. It's called a Deflationary Spiral and what are their solutions? Cut jobs? Cut wages? Cut spending? raise taxes? Raise Prices? That's only making the problem worse. That's Neo Classical economics and it's madness. It's well known now that these harsh austerity measures being implemented aren't meant to bring back growth and never have. They are only meant to pay back the rich at the expense of the middle and lower and poverty classes.

And what's their solution? Some insane scamble to keep the bubble going? Even if it means knocking down millions of houses to sustain demand? Printing money like there's no tomorrow? That's gonna take us from deflation to hyperinflation and we all know where that ends up. Look at Weimar Germany.

posted on Jun, 10 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by belial259

Printing money like there's no tomorrow? That's gonna take us from deflation to hyperinflation and we all know where that ends up. Look at Weimar Germany.

Hyper-inflation doesn't have to be an issue.

This is the solution
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join