It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to Join South Korean Military Exercise Off North Korea Coast

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

U.S. to Join South Korean Military Exercise Off North Korea Coast

abcnews.go.com

The U.S. aircraft carrier USS George Washington will participate in a joint naval exercise with South Korea next week in the Yellow Sea, the same waters west of the Korean peninsula where North Korea is accused of sinking a South Korean warship last March, ABC News has learned.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warns N. Korea to "halt provocative actions."

A U.S. official said the carrier, which operates from its home port in Japan, "will be sent to the waters off South Korea within coming days to participate in joint exercises" with the South Korean navy.

Slated to begin June 8, t
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US plans naval exercises with South Korea
entagon

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Another U.S. official says additional U.S warships will be participating in the exercise, including a Japan-based Aegis destroyer and a Hawaii-based nuclear submarine. South Korea will also deploy a destroyer, a submarine and F-15 fighter jets to participate in the exercise.

Last week, South Korea conducted a one-day anti-submarine exercise close to where the incident with North Korea had occurred

the latest involvement of the U.S. military in South Korean exercises comes at a time of heightened tensions between North and South Korea after 46 South Korean sailors died in March when its warship Cheonan sunk under mysterious circumstances near a disputed maritime border.

Looks like the US is definitely backing the South!

In a statement issued by the White House after South Korea announced its findings, the United States said South Korea could count on its full support. It also said "U.S. support for South Korea's defense is unequivocal."

So the US is not backing out on its commitment to SK!

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

The US is still technically at war with North Korea.
The South has 100% US commitment. All this saber rattling from the North gets pretty darn old if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
So will the US commit another false-flag?

Because last time they had a anti-submarine drill near the North Korea coast, a GERMAN TORPEDO sank an ANTI-SUBMARINE South Korean warship ON ALERT.

Either it was a false-flag... or the US/South Korean navy is screwed if they go to war with North Korea since it seems they can't even detect North Korean low tech submarines while they are on full alert....

So is US/SK technology utter BS or did they pull a false-flag? What's the most likely?

A multi trillion military machine not detecting a crappy 1950 submarine... or doing what the US military did HUNDREDS OF TIMES in the past?

Same thing like 9/11... did the multi-trillion military machine failed to intercept the planes... or was it an inside job?

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Please forgive me all I am going to go off topic for a sec here , sorry .

Yes SLAYER how right you are with both of your statements and as for countries " still at war " .....
"Putin with Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi
One of the most paradoxical results of World War II is the fact that Russia and Japan still have not signed a peace treaty ending the conflict. That is even more ironic considering that the two countries never engaged in the kind of bloody and devastating warfare that characterized the conflict between the Soviet Union and Germany, with which Russia now enjoys stable, even friendly relations.
The reason for the strained relations between Russia and Japan is the well-known conflict over the four Southern Kurile Islands -- Habomai, Shikotan, Kunashi, and Iturup -- which were occupied by Soviet forces in the closing days of the war. Both countries consider these islands in the Sea of Okhotsk to be their territory. The issue of their status remains a hot-button issue with the publics in both countries. " www.rferl.org...

I think a possible great thread would be a thread listing all countries technically " still at war " , could prove to be very interesting indeed

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Why, tell me, are they doing exercises off NK's coast? Why not their own coast. Granted, I don't know much about the situation there, but it seems to me that the south is doing most of the provocation; with the help of America, of course (because what brewing war doesn't have the US involved somewhere?).

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

/facepalm

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
And the Russians are sending the flagship of the black sea fleet with ships from 3 other fleets to the sea of Japan for manuevers. The PTB are loosing control and will foist a new war on us to forward their self serving agenda. 4 NK subs are missing from port as of last week (if you can believe that). "It's deja vu all over again" -Yogi Berra

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
While the North Koreans are saying this :

A North Korean envoy warned on Thursday that war could erupt at any time on the divided Korean peninsula because of tension with Seoul over the sinking of a South Korean warship in March.

And the ``missing subs`` were on exercise, 2 are still out there.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
[sarcasm]
Oh, it's just 'exercises'. Well that makes me feel better.
Nothing possibly could happen during an 'exercise' or 'drill' could it? I mean, there's no historical precedent of calamities happening during an 'exercise', is there?

Perhaps if something happens we can all say, "Ah, what a coincidence. We didn't see that coming!" together and make ourselves feel all fuzzy and warm.

I'm sure Fox will give us the 'real' story!
[/sarcasm]

Please DVR/VCR any and all news footage. It may come in handy later when the news story suddenly disappears or is 'destroyed' and replaced by talking heads giving opinion and telling us what to think.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It could be that North korea is used by PTB. They have their agents all around the world. Eventhough North Korea did it, there is a possibility that PTB manipulated at the back to provoke war. There is something fishy going on. There was a rumour spreading in South Korea that it will attack in advance from unknown source. Police is investigating on this matter. Also, what a coincidence that remaining of torpido had figure of number 1 before local government election. Number 1 was poll number of the ruling party which is hostile to North Korea. Could it be sophisticated mind control plot to make people select unconsciousnessly for the ruling party? Ruling party failed to win the election but what if they did? It could have led to more tension. Also there was a news that former South Korean intelligence agent who bribed North Korea to shoot a gun 10 years ago got arrested for selling information to North Korea. According to the news that he was a double spy but after the scandal he actually got bribed by North Korea. What a timing. Something strange is going on here.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mirine

There is something fishy going on. There was a rumour spreading in South Korea that it will attack in advance from unknown source.

The something fishy is that Kim Jong il is again doing his sabor rattling to make all parties nervous.

If Kim Jong was in fact responsible for the torpedoing then this would be the correct response.

Even Hillary agrees NK torpedoes sunk the ship so there is good reason to believe Kim is guilty!

Response to ShadowArcher

Why, tell me, are they doing exercises off NK's coast? Why not their own coast. Granted, I don't know much about the situation there

Actually if you look at a map the SK ship was well within their own waters and off their own coast. So there was no legal grounds for what NK did.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
This is all the same sort of manipulation that has been going on ever since Napoleonic times. TPTB Playing both sides against each other, getting their way AND most certainly making a tidy profit at the same time.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
So will the US commit another false-flag?
Because last time they had a anti-submarine drill near the North Korea coast, a GERMAN TORPEDO sank an ANTI-SUBMARINE South Korean warship ON ALERT.
Either it was a false-flag... or the US/South Korean navy is screwed if they go to war with North Korea since it seems they can't even detect North Korean low tech submarines while they are on full alert....
So is US/SK technology utter BS or did they pull a false-flag? What's the most likely?
A multi trillion military machine not detecting a crappy 1950 submarine... or doing what the US military did HUNDREDS OF TIMES in the past?

If a submarine doesn't want you to know where it is, you're not going to find it. There's plenty of technology out there for tracking submarines, but it's still a very difficult task. When navies train their anti-submarine assets, they actually tell the submarine to be in a certain place at a certain time so that those who are searching can at least have half a chance at locating it.

What makes matters worse is that after the cold war ended, the chance to train on real-life "enemy" submarines all but vanished, so today's operators are not well trained. The guys who had experience and skill at this sort of thing retired long ago.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Ok, I'm not sure how my post is being misinterperated here, but I'll reiterate. I wasn't saying a thing about the ship which was sunk - not one word. What I ACTUALLY asked was, why are they doing exercises off NK's coast. Is that still SK waters somehow? I just don't understand why, when they are on the brink of war, they would go on exercises around NK - why not elsewhere, like off their own coast?

Since I recieved the oh-so well thought-out and intelligent post of 'facepalm', I'm guessing the answer must be pretty obvious; but I just don't get it.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
North Korea, and Iran..

Its going to be one of these two Countries, that will be responsible for killing millions out of ignorance and hate of man.. I guess we can blame the other side of the coin as well..

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowArcher

I just don't understand why, when they are on the brink of war, they would go on exercises around NK - why not elsewhere, like off their own coast?

Look at the map yourself. It looks like they were very close to the South Korean shoreline and I've heard in shallow waters. I admit they were also close to the NK line. I've never heard how close in either case.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Here is what the south koreans have to say:
they don't even think that N orth korea did it
The warmongering is just silly and sad but hey they are just Gooks eh ?

"Immediately after the announcement last week of the Cheonan investigation findings, the Lee Myung-bak administration held an emergency meeting and announced that it would be cracking down on any and all acts of spreading falsehoods about the cause of the sinking.

Yesterday, the Korean National Police Agency (KNPA) announced that it was carrying out a focused investigation of Internet users spreading false information through Internet bulletin boards and blogs. KNPA stated that the targets for investigation would be malicious conspiracy theories, but if events unfold according to police investigation methods, all critical and analytical posts about the cause of the Cheonan¡¯s sinking or the government¡¯s response could become targets for the crackdown. It is abundantly clear that legitimate questions and differing opinions are being curtailed.

Gagging the South Korean public has already been taking place openly. The Ministry of National Defense and the military have pressed defamation charges against former Cheong Wa Dae (the presidential office in South Korea or Blue House) National Security Strategy Secretary Park Sun-won. Park said, ¡°The wake and communications records from the Cheonan that the South Korean government did not disclose are probably in the hands of the U.S.,¡± and joint civilian-military fact-finding team member Shin Sang-chul claimed that the Cheonan ran aground. "

www.hani.co.kr...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Wait - are we again talking about the ship NK supposedly sank? Because that is not what I am talking about, and yet it seems to be what people are assuming I AM talkng about, and what the thread seems to be turning in to.

I am very simply asking why the exercises that THIS thread is about are being done off the coast of NK. If that is what you are saying - that though off their coast, it's still SK waters - then fine; thank you.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Off the coast of NK is not far from SK. In fact, in a way its off the coast of SK too but closer to NK.

Originally posted by ShadowArcher

Wait - are we again talking about the ship NK supposedly sank? Because that is not what I am talking about, and yet it seems to be what people are assuming I AM talkng about, and what the thread seems to be turning in to.

I am very simply asking why the exercises that THIS thread is about are being done off the coast of NK. If that is what you are saying - that though off their coast, it's still SK waters - then fine; thank you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join