It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP's saw is stuck

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Why should the government be responsible for providing a fix when they didn't provide the accident. The royalties collected from the oil companies should be utilized in a manner that will direct us away from fossil fuels and dependence on foreign oil and not as a subsidy to the oil spill clean up cost.

It should have been mandated that the big oil companies have plans in place for such a disaster prior to being permitted to drill.

They should have been required to have ample, (miles & miles) of booms staged in place along the gulf coast every 100 miles or so along with the necessary boats to deploy them. They should be required to develop the necessary technology to bring a spill of this magnitude under control in a matter of days and not months. All of this should be done in advance of permitting and at the expense of the big oil companies. When they have adequately proven that they are prepared to handle any forseeable accident, then and only then, do we begin to consider permitting a drill site.

Also, there should be no limits with regards to recovering damages from any corporation, if you damaged it then you pay for it, plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

It was my understanding that all of the oil companies with wells in the Gulf, paid into a fund that was supposed to provide for a stockpile of booms and other equipment to be used in case of a spill by any well. The Government took over management of this fund and equipment, because, they didn't trust the oil companies to maintain it. Now there is no money or equipment. The limited liability was part of this deal.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I hope (although understand it won't happen) BP goes out of business due to this. I used to get gas REGULARLY from the BP down the street from me and now I zip on down the road and pay the extra .07 cents because of this.

And as for the government intervening; it's time. Yes I understand it's not their responsibility, but for the amount of money they've unsuccessfully dumped into bank bailouts and economic stimulus packages, the LEAST they can do to save an ecosystem that directly effects the country is to shovel a few billion into this effort.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Sure seems to me as if they really don't want to succeed. If this wasn't so serious, it would be laughable.

You know...we're going to wind up sending out USAF/USN bombers to wipe it out...like i said on DAY THREE. That these ludicrous attempts have gone on for 43 days now is...well I have no words. It's too late. This damage is done. Wait till it starts raining and the crude oil and the chemicals being used in the "cleanup" start destroying all of the eastern US.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

It appears the government agency that oversees offshore drilling is what people who study agencies call a captured agency. A captured agency is a government agency which is controlled by the industries or businesses the agency seeks to regulate, i.e. the regulator is controlled by the regulated.

Given that the government agency was a captured agency, it had no interest in spending money or putting regulations in place which would cost the offshore drillers money. It was merely there to rubber stamp permits and any other paperwork the drillers sought.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

Looks to me like the Government was negligent in allowing that to happen.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
UPDATE: The saw is no longer stuck.
Hopefully they can contain some of this oil soon.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
So, whats the latest?

have they continued the sawing or are they done?

Just curious, im watching the feed now but I can't tell what is going on..

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
As said on another post ,fracture the formation in a suitable area below the operational portion of the well bore,let the formation seal itself off,AND LOSE THE MONEY FROM THE WELL ALREADY.

This whole issue is about BP trying to preserve the fiscal viability of the well,and the underinformed public doesnt get that the well could be worth fifty billion and the money mongers at BP might be willing to spend six to get it,but after the Oil company reaches the point of diminishing return they will seal the well of themselves.

So what I am saying is Obama is powerless to intervene and he doesnt have the guts to say so to the WORLD---not just Americans,if he doesnt admit he is handcuffed then the things holding him back wont be corrected or rectified.The president must find a way to invoke special political and national security means and move the military to shut the well in.

On that note since you American Neighbors havent managed to do this yet,and I DONT HAVE TO BE PSYCIC TO KNOW IT HASNT BEEN DONE YET,you should form a military branch that has the equipment ,secular manpower ,and experience to step OVER BP and get the job done on behalf of the country and the world.And be ready to roll as fast as a delta team or rather a JTF2 team,ha ha.I have a few years in nthe oilpatch and am available to consult with whatever group is smart enough to u2u me,I am available as a consultant,if someone with pull is reading this,dont steal my thunder either and shop my idea,its mine for a reason,there is no one better for the job.

After this post the world knows now that the entire spill beyond say three days is blood in the water for money,so much pain suffering and death,so BP can try to cost leverage themselves into or out of a FINANCIL BIND?

This is a crime against humanity and the UN needs to send in military to fix this,this ocean belongs to the entire dam planet,I hereby invoke my right to request UN military intervention and support to peserve the ocean that belongs to humanity.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by one4all]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by one4all

Well, that pretty much catches me up, thanks.

Whats the other thread?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I HOPE the leak is capped, but I realistaically dont think they will be able to do it...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Obama and his crew have painted themselves into a corner.
They say they have been there since day one so no one can say they didn't react fast enough BUT since they have been there since day one and he is supposed to be this genius mind, why are we into day 44 and the leak just gets worse?
If he is in large and in charge why is BP still running the operation?

And I don't understand why everyone keeps screaming for the military to step in. What are they gonna do, shoot the oil before it reaches land?
The military can't help us here folks, sorry.

Oh and btw, BP stock is at $37.66 right now. It was at $61.64 at the beginning of the year. I am throwing another $20k into it for the heck of it.

[edit on 2-6-2010 by Just Wondering]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Stop talking in IFS ,the job should be done already,it isnt and wasnt a difficult problem to solve very quickly,as I said this is about money,not about a hollywood sized imaginary problem,oil is bleeding into the ocean because we are ALLOWING BP TO TRY TO SAVE MONEY,Obama better get his lackeys to figure out how much BP saved for every liter of water that was polluted to toxic levels and for the reparation costs and the restoration costs of every square foot of affected coastline,inhabited or not.I WILL BE POSTING TO GREENPEACE SO YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO THE MATH FIRST.

At least this way we can put a price on the planets and humanities oceans and lifeforms ,and peoples investments and homes,and livelyhoods.

This sounds like a presidential turning point,Mr.President which way are we to turn to see our future path,we await you direction.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I was simply trying to score a contracting job in an area I am qualified in based on an innovative and progressive theater of intent that carries with it great positive political spin,I was an innovator in the oilpatch and still am now,and my idea would have given the government an option to use to step OVER bp and have the technological and logistical and intellectual means to solve this problem in a timeframe the President feels adequate,and the world agrees is adequate.

The President has options to use national interests to step in,HE JUST DOESNT HAVE THE RESOURCES ----UNTIL NOW IF SOMEONE U2US ME ALREADY,I AM UNEMPLOYED,THE OILPATCH IS SLOW.

Had he had the ability to send my ideal team in this issue would have been resolved already.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I'm not an expert but im really starting to think this procedure isn't going to work either and maybe this was done on purpose. the longer this craziness goes on the more mad i get.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by one4all
I was simply trying to score a contracting job in an area I am qualified in based on an innovative and progressive theater of intent that carries with it great positive political spin,I was an innovator in the oilpatch and still am now,and my idea would have given the government an option to use to step OVER bp and have the technological and logistical and intellectual means to solve this problem in a timeframe the President feels adequate,and the world agrees is adequate.

The President has options to use national interests to step in,HE JUST DOESNT HAVE THE RESOURCES ----UNTIL NOW IF SOMEONE U2US ME ALREADY,I AM UNEMPLOYED,THE OILPATCH IS SLOW.

Had he had the ability to send my ideal team in this issue would have been resolved already.
you're not the hay guy are you?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Hay is for horses but dont laugh many weird things have been pumped downhole to regain control of wells,walnut shells,golfballs,small toys,you wouldnt believe it unless you understood what is trying to be accomplished downhole. And had firsthand experience doing such crazy things like some of us do.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
so...why are they watching the dispersant operation at this time?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Here's a little snippet i just read...

The saw had sliced through about half of the pipe when it snagged, and it took BP 12 hours to free it. The company said preparations were being made to resume cutting, but didn't give a timetable on when it might start.

The plan is to fit a cap on the blown-out well at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico to capture most of the spewing oil; the twisted, broken pipe must be sliced first to allow a snug fit.

"I don't think the issue is whether or not we can make the second cut. It's about how fine we can make it, how smooth we can make it," said Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the government's point man for the crisis.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I don't have any confidence that this cutting and fitting of the riser pipe will work any better than the top kill method. Matter of fact, i don't have any confidence that they will be able to drill a relief well without having some kind of unforeseen issue arise either. Catastrophe is an understatement.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join