It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Andreas like fault found in the Eastern US.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Hi ATS

A new discovery has been made. A fault line between the states of New York and Alabama
along the Appalachians. San Andreas fault.

It's said to be over 500 million years old.

For 30 years geologists have been puzzled by a remarkably straight magnetic line that runs between New York and Alabama along the Appalachians.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b7885a6b0f0c.jpg[/atsimg]
The fault is invisible from the surface, but magnetic surveys from the air see it clearly, represented in the white line. Click to enlarge the image. Courtesy of Mark G. Steltenpohl, Isidore Zietz, J. Wright Horton, Jr., and David L. Daniels

If so, it's no surprise that the most dangerous part of the eastern Tennessee seismic zone is right next to part of this magnetic line and has the second-highest earthquake frequency in the eastern United States.

Don't worry they say it is not active... Still it's an awesome find IMO.

The fact that the fault has not cut through the layers of earth above it and shown itself on the Earth's present surface suggests it's not active and so people can probably rest easy.

After reading a fear monger thread I would say... What if...
What if this fault becomes active after Yellowstone erupts and California has turned in to an island ?

Just kidding. Awesome discovery tho.

Edit: To add link to source.

~ SK

[edit on 5/31/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
interesting.
not related to the New Madrid fault (which imho is the REAL coming catastrophe)

I have heard there were minor quake areas in the east; we had a very small one when I was in Tennessee years ago, I didn't feel it.

(something else to worry about...)

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If this is a magnetic fault wouldnt this be more likely to be affected with all the solar activity people are trying to connect with earthquakes?
Not sure if theres enough evidence to back this theory up just yet.....but you gotta ask.

[edit on 31/5/2010 by Catch_a_Fire]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
And I moved from the west coast to the east coast partly because of earthquakes. Good find, thanks for the info.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Don't worry it isn't active. When Yellowstone blows you don't want to be in the states anyway

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by works4dhs

Do you have a link for me to read more about the New Madrid thingy ?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

the new madrid fault let loose in 1811 and 1812 with 3 earth quakes measuring over 8 on the richter scale. in fact, the first steam powered ship, s.s. new orleans, to navigate the mississippi was on the river under attack from indians when one of the quakes struck. the ships log records the incredible effects of the quake. read clive cussler's non fiction book the sea hunters about this interesting bit of history.

also, a novel called the rift from 1999 is a pretty good account on what will happen today when the new madrid lets loose again.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It's funny I came across this. I'm from Lawrenceburg, TN(middle TN on the AL line), and there was a small earthquake about 5 or 6 years ago. It happened in the early morning, didn't feel it but I'm a pretty heavy sleeper...hope a big one never happens!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
www.knoxnews.com...

this is something I just found, unrelated to my previous post.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blackthorne

I read Williams' The Rift ac couple of years ago. Excellent read, but beyond the good fiction, it's a book that really makes you pause and think... "what if...."

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SouthernSON

Forgive me but my knowledge of the topographic location is pretty big compared to a lot of people but and Illinois have missed the boat apparently.

5,2 is very real if you are awake to experience it.

If I'm correct the fault goes from New York to Pennsylvania to West Virginia to Kentucky Tennessee and Alabama. Where is Illinois on that line ?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I never said it was on the same fault line, i guess its unrelated, but is it possible it could ever effect this one? forgive me I'm new to this

abclocal.go.com.../local&id=6088574

this is a better link

[edit on 31-5-2010 by SouthernSON]

[edit on 31-5-2010 by SouthernSON]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SouthernSON

Don't worry.

Maybe I just misunderstood you.

Your link doesn't work

Edit: whoops to fast.

[edit on 5/31/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
maybe next time I'll read the full post hahaha

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Geeky_Bubbe

i agree. how ever, i thought that he put the casualties a little on the low side. that big of quake in that area at this time would be in the tens of thousands.

how about the 1886 quake that hit charleston, s.c.? that was estimated to be in the 7's range. what would happen to them now?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I just started a thread related to this " Is There a subduction zone in N.E. U.S."

combining the two:

Long Island is climbing up on the Eastern seaboard causing the eastern states to sink...the new madrid fault line will crack completely and the 13 original colonies will be under water after it happens.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This article is over a year old, published in May 2010. I just thought it was worth bumping due to today's current events. Take a look at the path of the fault line they discovered. Interesting!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t
This article is over a year old, published in May 2010. I just thought it was worth bumping due to today's current events. Take a look at the path of the fault line they discovered. Interesting!

I posted this in my "calm down" thread. No one really seemed to be interested because obviously, the Annunaki on Elenin shooting subspace particle accelerators at NORAD and the White House is hell of a lot cooler. Also, the fact that Ron Paul finally exploding is a big factor of the earthquakes.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

Indeed

2nd

top topics

<<   2 >>

join