It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flood of frogs in Greece, earthquake to come?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Flood of frogs shuts down major Greek highway

www.comcast.net...

THESSALONIKI, Greece — Greek officials say a horde of frogs has forced the closure of a key northern highway for two hours.

Thessaloniki traffic police chief Giorgos Thanoglou says "millions" of the amphibians covered the tarmac Wednesday near the town of Langadas, some 12 miles east of Thessaloniki.

"There was a carpet of frogs," he said.

Authorities closed the highway after three car drivers skidded off the road trying to dodge the frogs. No human injuries were reported.

Thanoglou said the amphibians probably left a nearby lake to look for food.

According to the article they say the frogs are probably just leaving a nearby lake to get food but if you look at other areas that this has happened like China, you will find frogs doing this before a major earthquake.

This could also be because of volcanic activity in the area maybe? I think there was mention a few weeks back about an underwater volcano looking more active lately.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by whoshotJR]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Volcano or EQ probably.

I've read that Greece or Italy are really gonna heat up soon.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I would note the direction they are traveling. It would be wise to follow them.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by veiledvisitor

good point!

I hope somebody local can give more info on this and share it. This could be a major precursor.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
That's interesting. Allegedly animals react prior to an earthquake as if they may be sensitive to subtle magnetics (such as birds are known to be) we don't perceive. Don't know if this has any relationship to that or not.

There's been years of crazy animal (often suicide) behavior going on though. I don't know if it's intentional experimentation, accidental side effects of our technology, or something profound the animal kingdom is trying to get our attention with to communicate that we just aren't getting. Either way it's often really sad.

RC

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by RedCairo

good points. We should also be seeing the tiny effects from the filament that collapsed a few days ago, maybe this is throwing off the frogs in the are a bit. I guess it would probably not be just a local event if this is the case but I haven't researched to see if there is any correlation with animals.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I just went to Google and went to Google News. Then I typed in Frogs. Then I found out that there is currently a swarm of frogs in Apopka, Fl. I also googled Toads in the news and there is a swarm of them in Sri Lanka I think. Then I googled snakes and there were a lot of snakes swarming in another place.

Anyway, I don't know if it is typical or not. I have never really seen a very large swarm of anything. I do believe animals can sense when something is about to happen.

What is strange is all of these swarms have happened within hours of one another, so something is definitely gotten these animals riled up. Maybe it is just time to mate, who knows?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. Animals know when something major is going to happen. This proves that something big is and will happen soon.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Animals are so ultra-sensitive, it's amazing!

Here is another example of how amazing they are:

Dogs can predict epileptic seizures

Some dogs can predict when a child will have an epileptic seizure, a new study has revealed. These dogs not only protect their charges from injuries, such as falling, but also seem to help kids deal with the daily struggle of epilepsy.

Source

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am trying to warn my other family members in greece

frogs on a highway aren't a good sign.

observers.france24.com...

once i saw that pic, reminds me of the china event.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Frogs Flood Greece, Precursor To a Major Earthquake?

... Police suspected that maybe the frogs were looking for food.

British scientists, however, may have another theory. In a study released just last month, in April of 2010, UK biologist from Open University and others showed that frogs often “predicted” earthquakes by their actions. In fact, a 6.3 magnitude earthquake which occurred in Italy on April 6,2009, killing over 300 people, and leaving over 40,000 homeless, was foretold by the actions of nearby frogs for five days prior to the quake. Over 96% of the male frogs in the area began to gather up, and hundreds of frogs fled together, just days before the quake hit.

So for example in Italy the same incident happened five days prior to earthquake. I have a bad feeling about Greece now.

From the same article:

The frogs are not alone. A few seismologists are stating that their analysis shows a major earthquake could occur in Greece or Turkey within the next 24 hours.

I wonder if anyone on ATS heard something about this?

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Etherguide]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Wow, good post - it's going to be really interesting to see the next 24hrs/couple of days to see what happens, if something does, it's another step towards earthquake prediction.

I agree with how insightful animals can be - does anyone else remember the YouTube clip someone posted on here at the beginning of the year where the dog ran out of the room only seconds before the room began shaking?

Here it is:

I'm hopeless at embedding, so if that didn't work: click me instead

s&f

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Sometimes frogs are precursors of eqs, other times it means mating season is upon them.

This could be either, since I am not familiar with frog mating season in Greece.
Maybe they trying to escape financial disaster as thier eco-conomy
collapses.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by zachi

I'm betting the smell of rotting pension plans would probably send many animals running

It's interesting how more then just animals in Greece are acting funny. I guess time will tell if this means anything or not. If i remember correctly the quake in china was within 48 hours of the frog issue.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by whoshotJR]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
In the town where I grew up, in Canada, we lived near a marshy area that was a natural breeding ground for frogs and toads. Every year, roughly about this time I think, we would have a mass migration out of the swamp.

For about a week or more the roads bordering the wetland were covered in hoppers...and needless to say not all of them made it across the road (which was a bit messy). I guess this happened once they all had their legs (literally) under them, and it was time to stake their claims in the larger world.

Not as exciting as an earthquake precursor...but interesting just the same.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mobiusmale

Well,they are migratory animals.

I wonder if they do this every year?

I know that crabs somewhere all head to some place and the roads are covered with them.

Greece is a very seismic active country.

I would have thought if this was a precursor to something before it happened it would have been noticed long ago.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
According to this site, there have been a couple 2.somethings in Greece...foreshocks?

Am I even reading the chart properly?

[edit on 5/27/10 by Tharsis]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
EQ-20100527-178726-GR
Magnitude: 3.6
Mercalli scale: 2
Date-Time [UTC]: 27 May, 2010 at 07:55:58 UTC
Local Date/Time: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 07:55 in the moorning at epicenter
Depth: 1 km (0.62 miles)
Region: Europe
Distances: 7.25 km (4.50 miles) S of Kavallaris, Nomos Kilkis
Source: RSOE-EMSC
Generated Tsunami: Not or no data!
Damage: Not or not data!

and
Magnitude: 2.1
27 May, 2010 at 06:36:06 UTC
Local Date/Time: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 06:36 at night at epicenter
Depth: 136 km (84.51 miles)
Distances: 23.11 km (14.36 miles) SE of Lidorikion, Phocis

hisz.rsoe.hu...

ETA - new one popped up - make that two

Magnitude: 2.7
Mercalli scale: 1
27 May, 2010 at 08:38:02 UTC
Local Date/Time: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:38 in the moorning at epicenter
Depth: 5 km (3.11 miles)
Distances: 1.79 km (1.11 miles) S of Milesion, Nomos )) (( Piraios

EQ-20100527-178735-GR
Magnitude: 2.1
Mercalli scale: 1
Date-Time [UTC]: 27 May, 2010 at 08:44:37 UTC
Local Date/Time: Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 08:44 in the moorning at epicenter
Depth: 10 km (6.21 miles)
Distances: 10.78 km (6.70 miles) S of Agalas, Nomos Zakynthou

Is Greece always this busy? Been a total of 12 now in the last 12 hours.
These are the most recent four.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Libertygal]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by zachi
Sometimes frogs are precursors of eqs, other times it means mating season is upon them.

This could be either, since I am not familiar with frog mating season in Greece.
Maybe they trying to escape financial disaster as thier eco-conomy
collapses.

Ok so it is a frakkin Earthquake!!

On another note…
Really though when I saw people referring to animals and predicting earthquakes I thought of the dog video, then realized I got beat to it by a couple of you guys.
(Edit)
I wont call the mass migrations Proof, but if you asked me I'd say yeppers follow them frogs to safety.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by g146541]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join