It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New british goverment show true colours

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Oooh! This makes my blood boil

www.telegraph.co.uk...

They've arrested Brian Haw!

This man is a national treasure, he's sat outside parliament for 9 years protesting the Iraq war.

Last time I was in London I saw him.

I doubt this will silence him for long but taking any action against him is just plain WRONG!

I am sickened beyond words at this, so much for giving us back the right to free speech, so much for giving us back the right to peaceful protest.

I am more angry at this than I can put into words

CLEGG LIED... AGAIN!!! and I believed him AGAIN.

Man I must have been proper mug when I voted Lib Dem

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Don't feel too bad about voting Lib Dem - best of a bad bunch... I was willing to give them an opportunity too - as they were the only ones (thus far) that hadn't proven themselves to be a bunch of lying chaps.

I spent a fortnight working near there a few years back and would go and sit there to have my lunch, it's quite a pleasant area for somewhere in the heart of the city. Quite often I was quite near to the protest and I could sit and peacefully have lunch and relax, the protesters really weren't causing a problem - unless you count opposing the war.

Quite simply disgraceful.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Got to admit I've done that a couple of times to... aside from the signs and tents quite a peacefull place.. So was stunned to see this story.

I voted Libdem.. but mostly cos our MP, Norman Baker tried to go for the Gov's throat over the death (murder) of Dr David kelly.. and earned my respect in that regard..

Can't say I am suprised they are now caught up in the world of the power elite.. as they say, power corrupts.. as true today as when it was coined.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
What does this have to do with the current government? The legal action has been initiated by the Mayor’s office, the arrest was unrelated, parliament was not even sitting yet and the current government has not had a chance to introduce or repeal any legislation yet so we’re still operating under the laws that the previous govt introduced. Give it a chance!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Brian Haw was arrested on "minor" charges just to get him out of the way for a couple of days,

Quote from The Telegraph

A spokeswoman for Mr Johnson said: "The Mayor respects the right to demonstrate – however, the scale and impact of the protest is now doing considerable damage to the Square and preventing its peaceful use by other Londoners including those who may wish to have an authorised protest.

Its the state opening of Parliament, Just the "brass" covering there backs in case of a security incident.

Anyways the bum should get a job.... IMO

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The ONLY reason they wanted them ( the protesters in all inc Brian Haw) off the garden outside the Parliament building was for when the Queen ( self opinionated delusional royal parasite) turned up to open Parliament they didn't want her seeing the true face of the British Public.
Ones that are annoyed at the ineffectualism and corruption of British Government , no matter what they call themselves if its Labour, Liberal Democrats or Conservative they all read from the same rule book.
I go past Parliament Square twice a day on and from my way to work and they have never been disruptive, only one person used a loudhailer but it wasn't very loud , I could barely hear it as I drove past on my bike so no real issue there.
The ONLY real trouble was from the Tamils but thats a different story and even then I agreed with them.
But back to this issue, the police action ( looking for drugs - yeah right) was just an excuse to try and evict them off the grass.
Whatever happened to being a land of tolerance and understanding? Oh thats right I forgot, it was gotten rid of by corporations BUYING government, it happened here in the UK it's happening there in the US and most other countries, the people are beginning to wake up and realise things aren't as pleasant as they should be because of a few greedy mofo's in 'power'.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

the people are beginning to wake up and realise things aren't as pleasant as they should be because of a few greedy mofo's in 'power'

And nothing will ever be done about it because people like you write everyone off as soon as they have any power to do anything because it’s them and not you. If you’re not scruffy, holding a placard and shouting at a policeman then you must be a corrupt puppet of the corporations right?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mike_A

the people are beginning to wake up and realise things aren't as pleasant as they should be because of a few greedy mofo's in 'power'

And nothing will ever be done about it because people like you write everyone off as soon as they have any power to do anything because it’s them and not you. If you’re not scruffy, holding a placard and shouting at a policeman then you must be a corrupt puppet of the corporations right?

I would like to say 'for the record' that I have NEVER written anyone off as soon as they have any power as you put it and always wait for true colours to be shown before making any accusations or comments but seeing as this thread is about the Mayor of London ( Boris Johnson and therefore his record of 'calamities past and present precede him) NOT the LIBCON's and that I have attended protests in the past, and I toot the ones at Parliament Square everytime I go past no matter who they are providing the only exclusion is for an argument I don't agree with. And in response to your statement I feel that I must point that you , to an extent are correct. I am a 'puppet' ( although one that causes the company I work for more aggro than needed) of a corporation you wouldn't like
. I can't tell you which one as you'll get very angry with me and never talk to me again.
All I'll say is Bank and leave it at that.
I'm not a policy maker , I just do a menial task that most people wouldn't touch and no its not cleaning toilets.

[edit on 26/5/10 by DataWraith]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The [SNIP] scum... Brian is a true hero, i met the guy many times when i was walking to work, i would stop and chat with him at 0500 hrs befour my train.

How dare Cameron do this..... now we are to see the true colours of the British scum government.

Im speechless. i hope the people take to the streets and demand his release

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5/28/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone
B

Maybe a job like what you do? And then in his spare time be a cyber warrior putting the people down who make a real change in this messed up world.

People like yourself should take a hard look in the mirror.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I would like to say 'for the record' that I have NEVER written anyone off as soon as they have any power as you put it

You said;

no matter what they call themselves if its Labour, Liberal Democrats or Conservative they all read from the same rule book.

It seems like you do.

reply to post by Master Shen long

How dare Cameron do this..... now we are to see the true colours of the British scum government.

Why is this so hard to grasp? Parliament was not sitting, the government has no power to have him arbitrarily arrested, this has bugger all to do with Cameron or the current coalition government.

The police were checking the camp before a major security event and felt this man and one other was obstructing them. If they wanted to crush decent they would have dismantled the entire camp, as it stands there were still protests. If this was some attempt to silence people then it was a pretty piss poor effort.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Mike_A]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
One thing does surprise me, is it seems like a few of us on the board have encountered him offline.

Makes me wonder how many people he's spoken to or influenced through his protesting.

Sometimes I wish I lived in London so I could go complain about things like this in person.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
By the way, what if he was obstructing the police? Why is not one even considering that possibility?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Its possible but considering, the fact they've tried getting rid of him before I think its more likely corruption.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Nice little earner Brian, If you can get it..

I noticed he has a wedding band on, So presumably a family to keep ?.
He is just using the system to make a nice little earner, What with all his court appearances alone (granted he won), Making some solicitors very happy...

And last but not least all them prizes hes amassed (with the money)..

Quote from civil liberties:

Awards and Attention For Peace Protester Brian Haw

Over the years Haw has won many awards for his long standing peaceful protest. He was named Most Inspiring Political Figure in 2007 at Channel Four’s political awards. He has also had his original display reproduced and displayed at the Tate Britain, which then won the coveted Turner Prize. Haw has also had a major documentary film made of his protest called A Man Called Brian that has been show at many international film festivals.

Think ill do a little digging on his past....

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

Not really, this is a minor charge, he will certainly be back their in a little while; if anyone wants to get rid of him then this is a really half arsed way of going about it.

If they just wanted to get rid of him while parliament opened then why let the rest of the protesters stay? Why get rid of just him?

The most likely possibility is that either he was indeed obstructing police or a few of the police got overzealous. That is far more likely than the prime minister using powers he doesn’t have, all the while risking massive scandal if he is found out, to silence one insignificant protestor among several dozen.

This is a non story being pounced upon by people who just like to hate authority.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

I would like to say 'for the record' that I have NEVER written anyone off as soon as they have any power as you put it

You said;

no matter what they call themselves if its Labour, Liberal Democrats or Conservative they all read from the same rule book.

It seems like you do.

Yes I have written them off seeing as I had new information that each and every single LibCon member is worth over a million each. The mayor is conservative and therefore tows the party line.
They are ALL in it for themselves not the community at large. They haven't done anything so far to prove otherwise, but until then I'll stand by my opinion.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone

I think he's productively contributing to society already. More than, say, 99% of the working - as you appear to define it - population. He's certainly put the hours in.

IMO

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Evil bastards. That is all I can say that wont get me arrested.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

lol Boris Johnson tows the party line? You don’t keep up with politics do you.

They haven't done anything so far to prove otherwise

Ah right, so they’re automatically corrupt “mofo’s” with no social conscience until they prove to you that they not? All because they are politicians and have money; and you don’t consider this to be writing them off, prejudging them or tarring them all with the same brush?!

You sound like a typical reverse snob who thinks anyone with more money than you or more influence is morally inferior to you; you’ve certainly done nothing to prove otherwise. This government has barely had time to brew a cup of coffee and already people are blaming them for things they don’t even have control over!

If things are so bad that none of them can be trusted why don’t YOU do something about it? Or are you content to bitch on the sidelines without having the responsibility of actually practicing what you preach?

The cynicism in this country has reached such levels as to completely stall any and all sensible political discourse. The sooner this attitude dies off the better.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by Mike_A]

<<   2 >>

join