It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uh-Oh! Katla Volcano Just Rumbled

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here is some information....

Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull wreaked havoc on European air travel, but it could have been worse. Much, much, much worse
posted on April 23, 2010, at 4:03 PM

Some worst-case volcanic scenarios could create mass destruction. Photo: Corbis SEE ALL 5 PHOTOS
The eruption of Iceland's Eyjafjallajokull caused billions of dollars in economic damage, and left millions of travelers stranded. But on the Volcanic Explosivity Index — volcanologists' tool for rating the severity of an eruption — the event rated only a two out of a possible eight. More severe eruptions cause "death and destruction" on a planetary basis, points out Simon Winchester in The Guardian. "They can darken skies and cause devastating changes in the weather. They can and do bring about the abrupt end to the existence of entire populations of animals and people" — not to mention economic damages that could run into the trillions. Here are six volcanoes worth fearing:

1. KATLA (Iceland)
Last erupted: 1918
Effects of a major eruption: If Katla goes off, its eruption will be 10 times stronger than Eyjafjallajokull's. Katla's larger ash plume would shoot higher in the air and spread over larger areas of Europe for a longer period, with much more devastating effects on air travel and economic trade. An eruption could tip Europe's economy — perhaps even the world's — back into severe recession or a depression.
Likelihood: Fairly high. The two volcanoes, only 12 miles apart, tend to erupt in tandem, and Katla is slightly overdue in its 80-year cycle.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

no laughing matter ... Bárðarbunga

I really hope this one doesn't go up!! How are we suppose to pronounce that one..?!?

bar-dar-bunga? beer-deer-bunga? I say, Cowabunga!!

Peace

Oh sorry forgot, Flagged it easy530

[edit on 19-5-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
This volcano erupts normally every 40-80 years, with the last major eruption occurring in 1918. Fear not, it isn't as much of a frequency issue as much as it is that Katla is late. Plus, this is only an earthquake, could be a trigger, could be just a small earthquake.

Aren't most volcanoes overdue for an erruption? Like the Yellowstone and there are quakes all the same and the so called experts say quakes are a good sign, cause it releases pressure or does that volcano work differently?

Originally posted by niteboy82
Though I agree, things are changing rapidly in the world... or perhaps, it's just that we have instant news now and are allowed to take notice.

Certainly, with news 24/7 on the internet it's way different than years ago. I just need a look at the news coverage in germany and they don't even talk about most quakes or other things that are happening.

Well i just hope that thing won't blow

link   
additional info about bardarbunga volcano iceland...

rses.anu.edu.au...

link   
Bardabunga has had almost daily EQ activity for the last week. USGS does not post small EQ's. Here is the Iceland version of USGS for the whole country:

en.vedur.is...

The links on the left page are hard to figure out..so here is the link for Bardabunga:

en.vedur.is...=map

And here is the page for Eyjafjallajokull:

en.vedur.is...=map

On the Eyjaf page, Hekla is to the NW a bit, and Katla is the big white one to the east of Eyjaf.

These links should give you all a good idea of the scale of these volcanoes.

Cheers!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
There must be something wrong... With me, every time I see this name: Eyjafjallajokull I laugh, try to pronounce it and give up.

Katla is a much better name, I could get interested in this one, maybe even take it seriously.

The name fits perfectly in a Lovecraftian novel. The elders are coming!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You guys do realise this is the Man In Black escaping from the island. Right?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I told people this would happen in another thread and got laughed at and told I was "Fear Mongering".

Another Icelandic Volcano To Erupt (THREAD)

I hope I get a nice "I told you so" on this one!!!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by YourPopRock
I told people this would happen in another thread and got laughed at and told I was "Fear Mongering".

I don't think you were fear mongering.

Second Line.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Thank you!

I bunch of people told me I was fear mongering and even had the mods change the title of my thread which was "Another Iclandic Volcano To Blow" (admittedly, it sounded a little immediate, but looks like I was spot on as usual
)

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
As long as its not the volcano yellowstone

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I hope that Katla is pronounced the way it looks.

That Eyeballskullabool volcano doesn't even sound anything close to the way it looks, which is bad enough.

Now we get news about Beerbongathingy with a couple of weird marks above it that I have never seen before.

OMG, the foreign language section of my brain is twisting up in knots.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Between this and the other Icelandic volcanic eruption(s) that I'm not even going to bother to attempt to spell, it makes me really wonder about the whole 'Nibiru' thing. I realize that the chance of Nibiru existing is slim to none (although I do like the idea of the sun having a brown dwarf or small red star twin detailed in Nemesis theory), but stop for a second and think about this - if there was a small brown dwarf on a wild orbit approaching Earth directly at the South Pole, making it undetectable by anyone that wasn't on Antarctica, the increase in gravity pulling the planet at the South Pole could very well lead to volcanic eruptions at the North Pole...i.e. Iceland. Just something to think about. If this is true, we should be seeing more volcanic activity at far Northern regions of Earth.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I fly out to America on the 12th June for 3 months.

When is this thing expected to erupt if it does?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I hope that Katla is pronounced the way it looks.

That Eyeballskullabool volcano doesn't even sound anything close to the way it looks, which is bad enough.

Now we get news about Beerbongathingy with a couple of weird marks above it that I have never seen before.

OMG, the foreign language section of my brain is twisting up in knots.

Beerbongathingy
- I'll be sure to remember that one now! Thank you

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Thank you!

I bunch of people told me I was fear mongering and even had the mods change the title of my thread which was "Another Iclandic Volcano To Blow" (admittedly, it sounded a little immediate, but looks like I was spot on as usual
)

I've yet to figure out why people call out "Fear Mongering" when you're warning them of something imminent on the horizon. It's a part of human nature that I have yet to figure out. Could it be pride? Stubbornness? I really don't know. Any thoughts are most welcome though!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron

I don't think you were fear mongering.

Second Line.

On the other thread someone just posted a bunch of links to stations monitoring Katla in real time. It is pretty cool.

I too am wondering when a full blown eruption will happen. Methinks soon!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I hear Michael Bay's picked up the rights to the Iceland volcano movie. It's going to be called Eajlkfakjfdfdjk's Peak

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
There must be something wrong... With me, every time I see this name: Eyjafjallajokull I laugh, try to pronounce it and give up.

Katla is a much better name, I could get interested in this one, maybe even take it seriously.

I pronounce it Eye-a-fyalla-giao-kool ...this gia sound is a jo but light on the j...like how the Italians pronounce Giacomo..

just my guess..

But does anyone else , with all these events, remember posts from late 09 talking about bad things happening in the enviornment , like earthquakes and volcanos and there we were laughing it off.....and here it is ...HAPPENING...plus oil spilll......plus the possible civil war over illegal immigration that could happen...

Hmmm somewhere along the way at least ONE of these prophecies/ predictions were correct......

Somebody actually knew some inside info.....It's not the wrath of any being either..

It's nature's cycles , predicted using anaylizing data from the past....

Seems TPTB , by knowing our history, can help prevent it......but they won't...they will use it to their advantage to keep us in the dark...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ahnggk

Katla was actually a dragon in a Swedish fantasy story written by Astrid Lindgren called Bröderna Lejonhjärta (The Brothers Lionheart). Here's a link to the wiki on the Katla character. Perhaps fitting =p

It's a fantastic book if you can find an english translation.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join