It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doesn't Christianity Contradict The Ten Commandments?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsawild1
People read the bible , study the bible with people who know the meanings of the bible--I sugest JEHOVAH'S WITNESS, or SEVENTH DAY EVANGELIST for starters. It take years to grasp the truths of the bible. Or for the ordinary just take it on faith.

I am an ex-JW and I can tell you that thier beliefs are TOTALLY different than Seventh Day Adventist, a big one being the Trinity belief. So you have 2 religions with contradicting beliefs....who is speaking the truth about the Bible?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CookieMonster09

then why do priests say " any number hail mary's" after confession? you are in fact praying to mary! then why have saints with their likenesses on medals on chains? the catholics created a pantheon folded into doctrine.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I have been told and heard by many Christians you can't get to heaven on good alone. You have to accept Jesus Christ or you can't get in to heaven.

I guess being good ain't good enough.

Is that true or False?

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Catholics do worship idols. The cross being the main one. Kneeling in front of a cross, praying, is idol worship.

To pray to God, you don't need those things anyway. I don't believe the popular belief that Jesus was on a cross anyway.

posted on May, 16 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by The Wandering Spirit

As an exJW as well I agree with you on this. Here are some facts:

1. The 10 Commandments were an Eternal Covenant between YaH and His people. Deut 5:29 that says His people should guard All His Commandments and to do so Forever. Not just the convenient ones.

2. Not having ANY idols of ANYTHING that are in the Heavens or on Earth is a scriptural command and that includes ANYTHING. End of story on that. Shrug.

3. Keeping the Sabbath was something done before Yah's Son came and the scripture shows that His followers kept the Sabbath AFTER He was sacrificed. This small but very important factor should cause anyone to understand the importance of this.

YaHuW-Savior said that He came not to destroy the Covenant Words but to Fulfill them! This is why in John 17:6 He said in Prayer to His Father YaHuWaH, "I revealed YOUR NAME YaHuWaH to The Children whom You have given Me to take out of this world. They were Yours and You have given them to Me. They have become Keepers of YOUR COVENANT WORD."

The Covenant words are to be kept, it is not enough to protest the removal of The 10 Commandments from public places, in fact I believe it is hypocritical if you do not intend to keep them all. No wonder so many are so fed up with All Religions! I am too!

I simply keep the 10+1+1 Commandments and by doing so I believe all else is added. I think once we can all come together not as Christians or Jews but as Covenant Word Followers than we are able to subvert any design to completely wipe out YaH's People as part of Shatan and the Illuminati designs for a Globally Controlled Religion.

I will have my article on The 10+1+1 Commandments by next week so I invite anyone to visit and I would enjoy any feedback on the article.

www.PraiseYaHuWaH.com

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Well,I think the one thing is for certain of all religions even the "Christian" ones.

We'll never know which one is close to being correct until were dead.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

There's a strategy for dealing with that:

"I've Converted To EVERY Religion (Just In Case)"

Although there might be a conflict with the Hindu religion, I'm not a Hindu but I think they pray to and worship idols who represent God as part of their faith. So obviously that's a conflict with the commandment against idol worship, the Christians only display the idols, they don't worship them (or they're not supposed to anyway).

[edit on 17-5-2010 by Arbitrageur]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
It's not "Christianity" that contradicts the Bible with regards to idol worship, it's certain sects of Christianity...some groups (such as Jehovahs Witnesses) live thier life by this standard and abhor the cross. Actually JW's don't even believe that Jesus died on a cross - they believe that the translation of the word "stauros" in the Bible is translated as "tree or upright pole"..Jesus died on a simple stake.

The cross is actually a pagan symbol (a phallic symbol). Kind of funny how many religions worhsip it. Ha

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
you are sure correct, the way people are practicing christianity contradicts the way it was meant to be practiced. This is why the bible warns us that in the end days, even most those who proclaim to be christians will fall short of gods grace and will not even be a part of the rapture. Thats right, by admission of their own book, most of them will not make it. I guess they must think this is not the end time. Oh well, I haven`t let anyone lead me along by the nose, I took a look at what I saw being raised and now I practice my own version of religion, of which I am the only member as far as I know. But then again my religion changes almost every second of every day since I live my life assuming that I personally don`t hardly know crap about this universe and so therefore I must adjust my beliefs according to the constant inflow of data received through my 6 or 7 senses.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

then why do priests say " any number hail mary's" after confession? you are in fact praying to mary! then why have saints with their likenesses on medals on chains? the catholics created a pantheon folded into doctrine.

Because Mary is the Mother of God. She is not God herself, but acts as an intercessor for sinners upon their death when they stand at the Throne of Judgment. Mary intervenes for sinners on their behalf. If Mary didn't intervene, the sinner would be cast into Hell for their mortal sins.

(Mothers can be very persuasive to their sons, didn't you know that?) : )

That doesn't mean that Mary is a god - She most certainly is not God. Same with the saints - They aren't gods either.

Just as angels are intercessors for God and do his bidding, so are saints, such as Mary and Joseph. It's really not a difficult concept when you think about it.

Catholics do worship idols. The cross being the main one. Kneeling in front of a cross, praying, is idol worship.

No, it's not. You're not listening carefully enough.

Catholicism is a monotheistic religion. We worship God in the form of God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit - Three in one.

Catholics do not for one moment believe that a statue or a cross takes the place of God. Statues and crosses are simply symbols and reminders - No Catholic in their right mind worships a statue!

No Catholic believes that a statue is actually God. You would have to be off your rocker to think so.

Now, when the Israelites were wandering in the desert, and they worshiped the molten calf, they were committing idol worship. They replaced God with an idol. They actually believed that the molten calf was a god.

Catholics don't replace God with statues. It just doesn't happen. Statues are simply reminders and symbols.

As a Catholic, when I pray, I pray to God. I don't pray to a wooden cross, or a statue. I might have a cross or a statue close by as a reminder to be devout, but that's about it. I don't think that the statue is a god. That would be ridiculous of me to do so.

So please, don't continue spreading misinformation that Christians and Catholics are idol-worshipers. It simply isn't true, and you are defaming and offending many good men and women when you say so.

It might not fit within your mental scheme of religion, and that's fine - Just don't slander others by calling Christians idol-worshipers.

Keeping the Sabbath was something done before Yah's Son came and the scripture shows that His followers kept the Sabbath AFTER He was sacrificed.

The earliest Christians also celebrated the Lord's day on the following day, Sunday. This is where the foundation of the Catholic Mass started.

Most of the original Christians were Jews, and would worship in synagogues on Saturday in observance of Jewish Law. These same early Christians also gathered together on Sunday in remembrance of Christ, the Last Supper, etc. This practice eventually became the traditional Sunday Catholic Mass.

God bless.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CookieMonster09

Because Mary is the Mother of God. She is not God herself, but acts as an intercessor for sinners upon their death when they stand at the Throne of Judgment. Mary intervenes for sinners on their behalf. If Mary didn't intervene, the sinner would be cast into Hell for their mortal sins.

(Mothers can be very persuasive to their sons, didn't you know that?) : )

That doesn't mean that Mary is a god - She most certainly is not God. Same with the saints - They aren't gods either.

Just as angels are intercessors for God and do his bidding, so are saints, such as Mary and Joseph. It's really not a difficult concept when you think about it.

No, it's not. You're not listening carefully enough.

Catholicism is a monotheistic religion. We worship God in the form of God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit - Three in one.

Catholics do not for one moment believe that a statue or a cross takes the place of God. Statues and crosses are simply symbols and reminders - No Catholic in their right mind worships a statue!

No Catholic believes that a statue is actually God. You would have to be off your rocker to think so.

Now, when the Israelites were wandering in the desert, and they worshiped the molten calf, they were committing idol worship. They replaced God with an idol. They actually believed that the molten calf was a god.

Catholics don't replace God with statues. It just doesn't happen. Statues are simply reminders and symbols.

As a Catholic, when I pray, I pray to God. I don't pray to a wooden cross, or a statue. I might have a cross or a statue close by as a reminder to be devout, but that's about it. I don't think that the statue is a god. That would be ridiculous of me to do so.

So please, don't continue spreading misinformation that Christians and Catholics are idol-worshipers. It simply isn't true, and you are defaming and offending many good men and women when you say so.

It might not fit within your mental scheme of religion, and that's fine - Just don't slander others by calling Christians idol-worshipers.

Keeping the Sabbath was something done before Yah's Son came and the scripture shows that His followers kept the Sabbath AFTER He was sacrificed.

The earliest Christians also celebrated the Lord's day on the following day, Sunday. This is where the foundation of the Catholic Mass started.

Most of the original Christians were Jews, and would worship in synagogues on Saturday in observance of Jewish Law. These same early Christians also gathered together on Sunday in remembrance of Christ, the Last Supper, etc. This practice eventually became the traditional Sunday Catholic Mass.

God bless.

Respectfully speaking, I am a former catholic and I would have to agree with what some of the other posters are saying regarding praying to Mary and the saints.

I have seen many many instances in the catholic church where Mary is more regarded and honored than Jesus.

You do know that Jesus Himself said that He is the only intercessor between man and God, don't you?

Mary and the saints can do nothing to intercede for you with God, and actually, the New Testament says we are all saints who believe in Jesus.

Here is a link to a very good site that has a lot of information about the differences between the catholic church and just being a Bible believing Christian.

If you really believe in the catholic church and aren't afraid to test your faith in it, I recommend going there and reading some of the testimonies and articles.

You do want to make sure you are doing what God says to do, in the Holy Bible, don't you.

It could be the difference between life, and death.

Berean Beacon

God Bless,

sezsue

[edit on 17-5-2010 by sezsue]

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

It's really not a difficult concept when you think about it.

3=1.

That's a difficult concept. Especially for a mathematician.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
Christians pick and choose what they want to apply from the bible according to their own agenda. Otherwise, Christians would stone homosexuals to death.

Great post. Reveals just how the christian faith has lost all relevancy in the modern world (i.e. where we the people actually think for ourselves, rather than being told to do).

Lawyers pick and choose what they want to apply from the law according to their own agenda. Otherwise, Laywers would not make plea bargains.

Great post. Reveals just how the constitution has lost all relevancy in the modern world (i.e. where we the people actually think for ourselves, rather than being told -what- to do).

Firstly, all CHRISTIANS have sinned. Secondly, Christ said, "Let whoever here that is without sin be the first to cast their stone."

So, no, they wouldn't.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Wandering Spirit

Originally posted by itsawild1
People read the bible , study the bible with people who know the meanings of the bible--I sugest JEHOVAH'S WITNESS, or SEVENTH DAY EVANGELIST for starters. It take years to grasp the truths of the bible. Or for the ordinary just take it on faith.

I am an ex-JW and I can tell you that thier beliefs are TOTALLY different than Seventh Day Adventist, a big one being the Trinity belief. So you have 2 religions with contradicting beliefs....who is speaking the truth about the Bible?

It wouldn't be bad to have bible studies with Jehovah's Witnesses or Seventh-Day Adventists... or any other denomination for that matter.

It is a problem to fall into the trap of believing everything that is told to you instead of what you are reading in the context.

True, there are many other translations of the Bible, but you keep a few handy. As well, if you are truly seeking God, you will find the way!

Do not attack people and their denominations. The denominations exist because of bad blood, I agree. But they also are a blessing in that each one seems to hold a certain truth that is missing from the others. I've been to many kinds and I assure you, it's not a waste of time to enjoy and learn as long as you don't get sucked into the insanity which dwells deeper and longer into their practice.

You can learn a lot from many people.

And one thing everyone should know.. and I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned it :

Jesus dead on the cross IS - SIN -.

So... if anyone is actually worshipping that particular image for any reason whatsoever, you are worshipping sin - Lucifer.

But... if you are using that image as a reminder of what Jesus has done for us and you do not see Jesus as that dead body on the cross, then I suppose if you are honest with yourself that you are fine. We could all use a reminder, especially as foolish as we can become.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

It's really not a difficult concept when you think about it.

3=1.

That's a difficult concept. Especially for a mathematician.

No offense, Arb, but don't be so dull.

1/3 + 1/3 + 1/3 = 1.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Actually, the more biblically literate could tell you Jesus was God in human form. It's called the Holy Trinity which consisits of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Also when the ten commandments were made(during the Exodus of the Jews from Egypt) was a completely different time, in which salvation didn't exist and no one believed in God besides his people(Jews). God bestowed the ten commandments to Moses to pass on to the Isrealites for them to follow to please God. Then when Jesus died on the cross he made it possible for both Jews and Gentiles to get into heaven by taking all the sin of men in a sacrifice. In fact Isaiah and other prophets predict the coming of Jesus in the Old Testiment which was written a long long time before the Gospel. I see you're confused logic though, when Jesus began his teachings the high priests of the Jewish faith thought the same. They thought anyone who worshipped Jesus, was disobeying God's commandments. But God clearly states the significance of Jesus, proclaiming him his Son, and therefore part of him was in Jesus and only through him, can one repent.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
I see Christians worshipping a guy hanging on a cross, isn't that against the first commandment?

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Hi earth/

Jesus Christ was put on the Cross.......
And the glory of Lebanon shall come to thee, with the cypress, and pine, and cedar together, to glorify my holy place. Isaiah 60:13
It is said that the Cross of Christ was made of three kinds of wood...

It is NOT the Cross that Christianity worships, but that which Jesus Christ of all humanity stands for.
It was the Tree of Knowledge where it all began...

(Gen 2.16, 17); yet it was not that the Tree of Knowledge was itself evil--St Justin the Martyr is certain that the tree is a symbol of Christ6--but that by lying about the tree the Devil might work his deception. 'He who by a tree deceived our forefather Adam, is by the Cross himself deceived'.7 The hymns of the day leave no room for doubt, that the Evil One's use of the tree to conquer man was itself a mystical prophecy of Christ's future use of a Tree to defeat the Devil himself. The fact that humanity fell into death by eating from a tree is, say the Fathers, clear intimation that one day it might 'find restoration in the wood of the Cross'.
Read more on the Cross.....

Jesus Christ also was asked which of the Commandements were we to keep....
"'Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?'
Jesus replied: '"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."
This is the first and greatest commandment.
And the second is like it: "Love your neighbor as yourself."
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.'"
-Matthew 22:36-40

The Cross is represented in many, many prophecies taken from the Old Testament....it all is fullfilled in the New Testament, which is the New COVENANT for mankind!
Hope the quotes I gave have made more sense then just thinking that Christians worship some piece of wood or Idol!

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I worship only God. And I do it the way Jesus did. By prostrating my head on the ground. As do 1.5 billion other people like me. Muslims.
Therefore WE are the real christians.
The "Christians" ought to be called "Paulians" actually.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne

You know Jesus' mother Mary is not the most mentioned woman in the Bible.....heck she isn't even the most mentioned MARY in the Bible....doesn't that say something....

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

First off, you cannot pose a question asking why in regards to religion. Religion does not follow the rules of why. You ask why and you are bound to get the answer "because that is just the way it is" or "because God said" or "because Jesus said."

All religions began as a form of government. It worked so well that even atheists incorporated many of the ideas into modern governments. Now if you back up several thousand years ago, before the Jesus phenemona, you will find paganism versus one god. It was far more difficult to control a large population when they believed in several gods. They each did their own thing depending on which god they were most attracted to believing in. At least the Greeks and Romans admitted to their high god having sex to impregnant a woman. Then you get the one god approach.

In the beginning, this god was a war monger, vengeful, all powerful, bringing destruction upon enemies and the books were written setting up a government that wantd to conquer the world. That didn't quite set well for the peace loving nor did it set well for the pagans. The tree huggers began writing their own books. They wrote books depicting a loving god, forgiving, and peaceful. So now we have paganism versus a war god versus a peaceful god. Peaceful god was wwinning but they had to explain the transition and what better way than to borrow from pagan worship. The war hero son of Zeus became the martyr son of an un-named god.

That worked out pretty well for a while but the population was still divided and hard to control until the Catholics decided to put all the different religons together into one book. So now they have the war monger to go around forcing people to believe and the peace promoter to capture others' interests and the martyr sone to once again gain control of the masses.

The old testament was written by one religion but became a part of another, Christianity. The problem with the canon is that it covers several different periods and different cultures. The epic poems of Greek mythology were rewritten. Take a moment to compare some of the stories and you will see too many similarities indicating that this is not a coincidence.

People got tired of war and wanted a peaceful god so they became attracted to the Jesus character in the poems and made him a god. The graven images that were previously outlawed because of the belief in different gods is no acceptable because it depicts their one god's son. Since god did not strike them down or produce any major disasters that could not be explained away, it grew into being acceptable.

Modern Christians do not write new books claiming god wrote them, instead, they use bits and pieces of the canon to promote their beliefs. A perfect example is the god against sodomy that burnt down a town that practiced it became the god willing to accept transgressions because all people are now born evil but can gain forgiveness later.

Faulty reasoning at its best. We have adapted to the policy of taking what is needed and leaving the rest as far as religion goes. I have read the canon from cover to cover on more than one occasion. I do not know one Christian that started at the beginning and read through to the end. They each pick and choose what they want to hear.

The Romans crucified a man accused of pretending to be the son of god and now it is a symbol marking what a parent is willing to sacrifice for humanity. The ideal behind the use of staues and crosses is to remind the masses that if god was wiling to save humanity from destruction by sacrificing his only son, you parents out there should be willing to sacrifice yours. Constant reminders with symbols is a proven psychological technique.

On a side note, did you know that religions got the idea of "hell" from a poem written by Dante? I am just surprised that it wasn't added to the canon right before Revelations. The christ movement promotes it even though it was just a poem.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join