It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are children allowed to Learn?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by BeastMaster2012

Our society likes to look to the future.
Our society likes to forget the past.
When we forget the past,we make the
same mistakes over and over again!
Because,we never learn from our
mistakes.We like to sweep them under
the rug when no one is watching!

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

Our society likes to look to the future.
Our society likes to forget the past.
When we forget the past,we make the
same mistakes over and over again!
Because,we never learn from our
mistakes.We like to sweep them under
the rug when no one is watching!

I totally agree. We have a huge problem. The country was founded mainly because of persecution of religion yet as the years go by we are becoming more and more religious as a nation. That is a huge problem. The Freemasons, who found this country, were believers in Science over Religion.

www.straightdope.com...

How does the U.S. compare with other countries in terms of belief in evolution? Not so hot. A study of attitudes in 34 countries published in Science in 2006 shows that the United States ranks last in popular acceptance of evolution except for Turkey. Almost 40 percent of Americans in this study flatly rejected evolution, whereas the comparable numbers in European countries and Japan ranged from 7 to 15 percent. That may partly reflect U.S. high school kids' dismal math and science scores relative to other developed countries, which to my mind underscores a home truth: the more you know, the less you take on faith.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

This has been going on for quite some time and it is only going to get worse.

If you have kids in school it is your responsibility to learn what they are teaching in school and suppliment it if need be. You also have rights in many schools, notably public to attend assemblys, etc. Just by having a few parents there will often tone down the nonsense.

This is particularily important during an election cycle. You need to make it a point to discuss election year education with your kids teachers and let them know that it is your expectation that either the views of the candidates/sides be discussed both in fact based instruction, left alone entirely or that you be given an option to opt your kids out of certain sessions and attend a study hall.

Finally, it is up to you as a parent to ensure that your kids are learning what you feel is important and you need to talk with your kids about what hogwash they are being taught in school.

The real damage here is not what they are excluding and including, althought at is a problem. The real problems are that the basic tenets of the basics of math, reading, and science are being crowded out for this rubbish.

We are educating a generation of kids who will not be taught the skill of critical thinking, which can only be taught in the humanities by a frank and unbiased discussion of both sides of the issues.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

I don't have any say so in my grandchildrens' education.
Most of them are home-schooled and a few are in public
schools.
I agree,education should focus on math,reading,english...
the basics of education.Topics of religion should be an
elective choice.Our school systems are too politically correct
for their own good.They scream separation of church and state.
But,they allow some religions to be taught.While law suits are
filed against judaic-christianity being taught.

SM2

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Let it be known I am an Agnostic. Now, since I have that out of the way...I think this seperation of church and state gets over blown sometimes. True, the government is not allowed to either sanction nor condem any particular set of religious beliefs (or lack thereof). However, the fact that this country was founded on Christian principals and values should not be forgotten, nor brushed to the side. It never offended me that our money has "In god we trust" on it, and I do not understand how someone could seriously be offended by that. You live in a Judeo-Christian nation, you respect the founding principals, acknowledge them, move on. Thats how the founding fathers framed the nation. You do not have to share the same belief system or pray to the same god, you do however, have to repsect what this nation was founded on. If it seriously bothers some people so bad, then maybe they need to look to some alternative places to reside. I mean really, where is all this tolerance everyone constantly proclaims to have? You want me to have tolerance for this group or that group, but not this group over here?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Hey how about this. I will buy you the best steak dinner in the city of your choice or veggie dinner if you prefer if you can do this. Find these five words in the constitution and post it.
SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE.
BTW I do know where you can find these five words.
In the RUSSIAN CONSTITUTION!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Mamabeth I remember that you are a fundamentalist Xtian and Frankly I don't like that one bit.

However.

1.The national motto
2.The pledge of allegiance
3.Presidential speeches
4.America the Beautiful
5.Declaration of independence

I can see nothing wrong with these unifying national symbols. Are you sure that this is not a spoof??

I do not even see these articles as Judeo Xtian. I used to admire the simple pride of Americans in their country. The boild statements of national identity and unity seemed appropriate in building and maintianing a nation.

I hope this was some kind of spoof. No one could be so stupid as to take down these posters could they?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Yes I get your point but the benefits outweighthe downside considerably. Sorry but this is a product of the times it was drafted in. But it is relevant now.

Can you imagine US trying to draft something like this nowadays??

The advertising bills, The Focus Groups, the whole PR machine

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
1.Teachings of Ghandi
2.Malcolm X
3.The Dalai Lama
4.Gay pride
5.Stop global warming

Well these other sign could have the further education benefits along the line of...

Ghandi - Passive resistance is a political tool.

Malcolm X - A known hater can see the light by letting god into his heart.

Dalai Lama - endless compassion and humitary is a great idea.

Gay Pride - If you are gay you are still a member of our society.

Stop Global warming - Well we have only one planet so it makes sense to look after it.

In Short they can be used to promote discussion adn independent thought in schools. There is no right answers but we should think for ourselves..

You may not agree with my take on the baove but everything is an educational opportunity with the right approach.

[edit on 7-5-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

You talk about English pride helping defeat Germans but you do know that the German's pride in their country was one of the main causes of both WWI and WWII right? Hitler's pride in his country amd his hatred of the treaty of Versailles was what caused him to invade Poland.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeastMaster2012
Ok i admit i did not watch the video you posted.

I just did and i guess i am a liberal but i didn't have a problem with them taking them down.

I have always had a problem with our money saying "IN GOD WE TRUST".
I thought one of the main reasons we formed america was to get away from religious persecution. GOD seems to be part of a religion.

Have you heard of separation of church and state?

Here are the 4 phrases on a huge banner:

IN GOD WE TRUST
One Nation Under God
God Bless America
God Shed His Grace On Thee

And another banner:

All Men are Created Equal
They are Endowed by their
CREATOR

They are yelling at us to believe in GOD and the CREATOR.

The only phrase i was fine by are ALL men are created equal. It seems that the teacher was probably a hippy and is probably a very peaceful person and i would love my kids to be taught by him. The lyrics to John Lennon's Imagine SHOULD be on every wall.

I think you have some serious confusion between believeing in God and Organizing God for power.
Our founding fathers were getting away from the later. They built small churches to attend to their faith in God, they just did not let it become part of the power and coruption of the Organization of the religion.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Hitler was a self-serving,megalomaniac who only had pride
in himself.The poor military decisions he made hurt germany
more than help it.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

That was a strawman argument. You completely avoided addressing what I said.

It was the German people's pride in their country that caused both world wars.

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have been shocked by the threads dealing with the american flag.
I don't know what this country is coming to when the flag is considered
offensive.
What is offensive about the flag? The stars and stripes represent
the american people and the american spirit of freedom.What type
of flag would not be offensive or inappropriate.How about the flag
that represents the U.N.?Would that make anyone feel better?
I know...how about no flag?I know that would make some happy.

Until TPTB do away with the american democracy and way of life,
the stars and stripes will fly!

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
A video showing appreciation for our countries soldiers.
Sung by school children from a third grade class.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 11 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I thought one of the main reasons we formed america was to get away from religious persecution. GOD seems to be part of a religion.

To get away from religious persecution. Meaning to get away from being persecuted for your religious beliefs, not to get away from religion or God.

All Men are Created Equal
They are Endowed by their
CREATOR

They are yelling at us to believe in GOD and the CREATOR.

The only phrase i was fine by are ALL men are created equal.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.....

No where in that document or that phrase do they yell at anyone that they must believe in anything. They simply stated what their beliefs are.

What would you have them do change the declaration of independance because the word creator offends you or someone else ?

It's the biggest part of our history as a nation. You can't change history, no matter how much it offends some people.

Our children can not be denied the right to know their country's history because it offends those that don't believe in God.

What are we supposed to do stop teaching them about our history with slavery because it offends people, or what was done to the native Americans because some find it offensive ?

This PC crap has gone way too far, and that's all this is about is being politically correct.

www.ushistory.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join