It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fury as 'up to 300 urns containing human remains from Dignitas suicide clinic are found at bottom o

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Fury as 'up to 300 urns containing human remains from Dignitas suicide clinic are found at bottom of Lake Zurich'

www.dai lymail.co.uk

Scores of urns containing human ashes have been found dumped in a lake near the Swiss suicide clinic Dignitas.

One estimate puts the number discovered 30ft down on the bed of Lake Zurich at 300 or more.

The urns bear the logo of a cremation service thought to be used by Dignitas, the controversial organization where more than 100 Britons have ended their lives.

More than 115 Britons have traveled to Zurich to end their life at Dignitas since it was founded in 1998 by Mr Minelli, a Swiss lawyer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Ok, am I missing something here.
These people wanted to end their lives, but, seemingly made no plans for where their remains would go?

So why the fury?

Assisted suicide is a huge issue in my opinion.

One, because it should be allowed.

Two, because it can't be and must not be used as mass genocide for the aged and infirm.

But still... Why the *fury* over finding the urns? (Other than I wouldn't want them dumped where I go swimming)...

If they wanted 'out' and didn't have family who wanted their remains, who cares what happens to them?

Right? (Or no)?

peace

www.dai lymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Here's a link to some information on Dignitas

Also, if you've not seen the movie 'You don't know Jack' I HIGHLY recommend it.
A fantastic movie of the life and work of doctor-assisted suicide advocate Jack Kevorkian.

peace

[edit on 28-4-2010 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
They should use the ashes for fertilizer or something.

This will save money by not needing urns.

Also you can save cash on buying fertilizer.

So it's a win-win!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well I don't see a problem with leaving peoples ashes in the urns.

Or the could be mixed with soil for plants.

Personally, When I pass on, I want my body burnt and my ashes put into a Bonsai Plants soil.

I find that my bodies nutrients pass on to help something beautiful grow, which I have good mixed feelings about.

Just my thoughts. good find

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

So why the fury?

Maybe for littering? Or environmental issues?

Other than that, I am not sure why the fury. If the families of the people wanted the remains, you would think they would have claimed them.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
From the article in the link, it did look like some of the urns were open when they brought them up, so nothing like swimming in a watery cemetary!

I, like you, don't really get the outrage either, but, I am surprised that a place that offers assisted suicide as a means to help people die graciously, would then just dump them in the lake. It seems sort of cruel. Even if the deceased have no living relatives to collect the ashes, I would think they'd have a mausoleum, or a cemetary for the ashes.

It's just sort of creepy.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Exactly - I don't see what the 'fury' is other than the making of outlandish headlines. And like Blanca Rose says, "t's just sort of creepy"...

But, it does lend the opportunity to talk about the sensitive subject (assisted suicide). That people are forced (on the whole) to travel far and wide to go to the 'great beyond' - on their own terms - or leave their friends and family to face prosecution by helping them.

- That hospitals allow people to die by cutting of their food and water supply, and that's legal, and a long drawn out horrific and painful way to 'go'.

- Societies kill those judged by their peers (lethal injection) and that's socially acceptable in many areas of the world...

But ending the suffering of a single person on their own terms, of their own free will, is illegal? Unless of course you pay exorbitant amounts of cash and travel to places like Dignitas?

That's twisted...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

What if these were cremated remains after the body parts were

really sold for harvesting to be used as transplants. ^Y^

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

The Daily Mail has mixed angst about assisted suicide. It's against it in principle and despises the Dignitas approach. On the other hand, they support the notion of 'dying with dignity' for occasional middle-class individuals with good backgrounds. They can't have it both ways, but the Daily Mail has never let objectivity get in the way of a hate figure or institution.

I sincerely detest the news journalism in the Daily Mail. Unfortunately, it's a direct reflection of a lot of people's views on life...scary, huh?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Dignitas suicide clinic

clin·ic (klnk)
n.
1. A facility, often associated with a hospital or medical school, that is devoted to the diagnosis and care of outpatients.

Hmmm

I do not believe that killing some one is caring in the clinical sense.

but I know those with the I am an animal belief will think that ending some ones life will help others to live by relieving the wasteful use of resources that others could use.

Oxymoron

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by amari

What if these were cremated remains after the body parts were really sold for harvesting to be used as transplants

I'd be all for the 'left overs' to be used to help the living, but, I don't know how that would go down considering the form of death is ingesting poison? I have no medical experience in what happens to tissue and organs and the damage done to them by poison.

That and it seems the majority of the people already have bodies that are ravaged and broken and no use to them - so - hard to say if it would be of use to someone else. (Retinas maybe?)?

It would be interesting to find out though huh? If the owner of Dignitas did sell 'parts'. A little investigative journalism that. Go to it!

reply to post by Kandinsky

I get your point and the more I read, the more I see what you mean. They do seem to want it both ways (Daily Mail).

Scary? If their 'news' is a reflection of what people really want? Scary indeed.

peace

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I don't see why this is such a big deal..

When I'm dead, just throw my body in the garbage (for all I care).

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

I don't see why this is such a big deal..

When I'm dead, just throw my body in the garbage (for all I care).

Get yourself a donor card! Donate what you got to science!

How to Donate your Body to Science

peace

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

We all die, bro.. Just a matter of how/when.

If you're at the end of your rope, and the only thing left is bedridden diarrhea, pain, loss of rational thinking, and endless medical expenses and procedures, then you should have the option of forgoing all that and dieing peacefully at a time of your choosing.

That way you can say your goodbyes and go gently into the night -- rather than go ugly into the night/day/week/month/etc (however long it takes you to finally die).

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

That way you can say your goodbyes and go gently into the night -- rather than go ugly into the night/day/week/month/etc (however long it takes you to finally die).

Applauds!

You got it!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
There's probably a "fury" over it because it's illegal to do that with human remains, you can't just dump them wherever you please.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Except for the Swiss, I don't see what the furor is all about. If dumping the urns in the lake is against Swiss law then there's a problem. This is the part I don't get:

We should be absolutely certain what happens to the remains of our loved ones after they are dead. We need our own laws.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... g

Isn't the "Mail" known of sensationalism?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
At least they actually made it into urns, unlike the north Georgia crematory where they stacked corpses out back like cordwood. Disrespect for the dead usually causes some fury.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It is sad that the people who had the wisdom to take an assisted suicide option did not also have the wisdom to arrange for the ashes to be disposed of in some fashion that they saw as appropriate. Or did the company ignore their wishes in that regard and just send the 1/3 of the urns not claimed by relatives to the bottom of the lake?

As I understand it cremation is not the best thing environmentally. My preference would be for my body to be placed without embalming into a biodegradable sack into the ground, without cement case, and have a tree planted on top of it.

Unfortunately that is not an option available where I live either.

top topics

join