It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Oil Slick: Visible From Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Four hundred miles out in space, NASA's Aqua satellite has taken pictures of the oil slick in the Gulf of Mexico caused by the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig. In this image from Sunday, the center of it is about even with the mouth of the Mississippi River. We're told it covers 400 square miles.

The Coast Guard says 42,000 gallons of oil are leaking from the well into the gulf daily (forgive me for omitting the word earlier). By oil-spill standards, it is big but not record-setting; the Exxon Valdez, 21 years ago, spilled close to 11 million gallons into much colder waters. The Gulf of Mexico has the advantage of being warm; a fair amount of oil will likely evaporate before it can reach the Louisiana coast.

blogs.abcnews.com...
More on this story
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0007ac627264.jpg[/atsimg]

It certainly is going to be a disaster if they can't get it contained and cleaned up.

We are in a very serious situation," said Rear Adm. Mary Landry of the Coast Guard. "Forty-five to 90 days is the initial estimate. That's an estimate right now before this well could be secured."

This comes less than a week after Landry told ABC News that "We've been able to determine that there is nothing emanating from the wellhead."

Are some really trying to say a lot of it will evaporate before it gets to the coast? Really?

Come on.....

[Edit for image size. Part of the larger image was cut off.]

[edit on 27-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
WOW! thats an amazing photo! Ironic, isnt it, the spill seems to be spreading towards the delta wildife refuge?

That was a bad idea, an oil rig so close to the shore. I wodner if this will trun into another exxonvaldez spill cleanup* they were totaly unprepaired, and didnt have the right tehnology to clean up most of it, as was promised* another reason i will never buy mobil products again. Its not mobils fault, its exxon. but since exxon now owns mobil...gotta hurt em back somehow
mobil was an excellent gas and oil name, until they went corporate no thanks to exxon

I saw a documentary earlier this year, about today in alaska. Oil is still under the rocks on the shore. many animals died. It would seem, according to the documentary, the cleanup was all based on making money, not cleaning up the spill

posted on Apr, 27 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

We are in serious trouble with the fishing industries there..sad issue..

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Ho Hum still not ready for the free energy solution.
Not when there can't be any admitted.
Get ready for gooey shrimp in Texas.
No more shrimp on the barbie.

new topics

top topics

join