It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secretary of Defense: We are not ready for a Nuclear Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Gate: We are not ready for a Nuclear Iran

Robert Gates, the US Defence Secretary, has warned in a secret memo to senior White House officials that the United States does not have a long-term strategy for dealing with Iran’s nuclear programme.

The three-page document, written in January, has sparked intense efforts within the Pentagon, the White house and America’s intelligence agencies to come up with new options, including the use of the military, according to The New York Times. One senior official described the report as a "wake up call”.

..."Wake up call".

There have been plenty of wake up calls from Israel and people across the aisle in Congress who just happen to be the minority party at the moment.

Do you feel safer with the policies of the current administration? How this current administration goes out of its way to "Bend Over" to Russia and China to push for sanctions on Iran but nothing ever comes out of it. This current administration is the laughing stock of the global power. Iran knows that this administration is a Paper Tiger.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

There's nothing to fear from a Nuclear Iran except for the US loosing face. They aren't going to attack anybody, they are going to use that Nuclear Card to tell the rest of the world to F off.

And they should have the right to do so.

The defense department is just afraid that they will not longer have anything to hold over Iran's head after they gain a weapon.

It's just about control, not fear of attack.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I think the front desk has been ringing for the wake up call for quite a while.

As for your question, I'll never really feel "safe" under this administration.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I am not surprised by your reply. Your view of a nuclear Iran as a peace loving nation that will use the nuclear technology to power up homes and empower its people is childish and very "Lets give hugs to each others"-ish.

I have issues with Iran's current regime. Their negligence and abuse of power in how they treat their own people. Have you even kept up the recklessness the current regime had shown to its people during their sham of election. They hanged people just for speaking out.

Now, let me get this straight. A regime bent on terminating its own people for speaking out against it would somehow withhold from using a devastating weapon such as a nuclear weapon on its enemies? I have to think otherwise. Iran doesn't have to use such a weapon themselves, they are biggest suppliers of arms to terrorists and groups.

You have to "wake up" from your "everyone loves everyone and would never hurt others" dream.

[edit on 18-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Please provide a time when Iran has invaded a country or acted hostile towards another nation other than Israel.

It's not an idea of be huggish towards each other, it's the fact that NO country will use nuclear weapons, EVER.

The only people I worry about using Nuclear weapons are extremists and Israel unfortunetly.

As for the regime, trust me I have problems as well. I don't like the Shaa and their leader is a crook, I will admit that.

I'm more focused on the people. If Iran is left to it's own vices, free of pressure or control from the International stage, they will sort themselves out.

There's no need to "implement" democracy in Iran, the people there are good people just like you and me.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
While i agree with you that no nation will use nukes any-time soon i would have to argue that when Iran is finally capable of building nuclear weapons then the chances that one weapon, or at-least the technology, falling into extremists hands are increased.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

A regime bent on terminating its own people for speaking out against it

Terrible the way it has been done sort of openly in Iran,just not cricket is it.

Should be done secretly like the methods used in our beloved western society.

[edit on 18/4/10 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
While i agree with you that no nation will use nukes any-time soon i would have to argue that when Iran is finally capable of building nuclear weapons then the chances that one weapon, or at-least the technology, falling into extremists hands are increased.

North Korea has nuclear weapons, we know that for a fact. They are considered one of the most rogue nations on the planet. You don't see the US going there do you?

Same with Pakistan, a relatively unstable nation that has the potential to be toppled over and taken by extremists.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic

Terrible the way it has been done sort of openly in Iran,just not cricket is it.

I am not sure what you are referring to. Are you suggesting that everyone involved in the current Tea Party Rallies has only few more good days left before they are secretly hanged?

Your point to mock something as sinister has killing/murdering dissidents of corrupt governments does really shine a light on how you value freedom.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
North Korea has nuclear weapons, we know that for a fact. They are considered one of the most rogue nations on the planet. You don't see the US going there do you?

Same with Pakistan, a relatively unstable nation that has the potential to be toppled over and taken by extremists.

~Keeper

You haven't kept up with the news in which they have helped leak their nuclear secrets to other rogue nations. Pakistani nuclear scientists have been caught selling secrets to the highest bidders. Pakistan currently receives funds from the USA in the form of aid. Also Pakistan feels its natural enemy is India who is only a stone throw away from its borders. Any nuclear fallout will effect not only India but also Pakistan.

North Korea is broke, they have no funds to attack anyone but just rhetoric to stay in the spotlight.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Robert Gates, the US Defence Secretary, has warned in a secret memo

Not so secret is it?

On topic, a nuclear Iran doesn't scare me. Sure, they could set off a bomb....once.

If they take the offensive, then they will be done for! I don't think the global community would tolerate an offensive nuclear strike from ANY country.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

According to the media that is.

You think they would actually tell us if NK was able to launch anything or make any sort of long standing impact? Nope. If they had oil though, like Iran, you can bet your bottom dollar we'd have invaded that place in a heartbeat.

They don't go where there isn't anything for them. Spoils of war and the war economy rule this land. Iran presents quite the formidable spoils. The propaganda campaign is very similar to that of Hugo Chavez in Venezuela.

ETA: Why are we so worried about Iran when we have 2 other highly volatile nations who pose much more of a threat?

~Keeper

[edit on 4/18/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

With your reply,I will not bother to try and engage in debate.
You are simply to blinkered in a view that has been,I would say not of your own choosing.
Though you would I'm sure,swear it was.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I have a problem with any country producing nuclear weapons. They are not a weapon of last resort, nor a weapon to be used during an initial offensive. Nuclear weapons predominantly kill civilians, not the military. Let's just take two examples, some nutbar wants to take out Amandinnerjacket, so they nuke Tehran, well, there goes about 10 million people for less than a dozen turds. Or, some other nutbar wants to take out Obama, so they nuke Washington DC, well, there goes 3 to 5 million people to take out that meat puppet.

Using nukes for any reason kills too many innocent people. Can you say Japan? Sure knew ya could.

I understand the MAD supposition as a deterrent, but then if it's all going to be "equality for every country," then all countries should have nukes, spread the wealth! They should all be gotten rid of, anything else is hypocritical.

People don't want war. They don't want their tax dollars being used to promote corporate agendas that both hurt them and cause global instability and fear. People generally want peace without the threat of an iron first or in this case, a nuclear one. The US has weapons like the MOAB and satellites all over the damn place that are used to keep surveillance pressure on every country, everywhere. I know that the US has been monitoring all communications since the mid 80's from both ground stations and satellite platforms, I have an FOIA coming in next couple of weeks that should show the actual depth of their intrusions.

If nukes were illegal globally, they could go for surgical strikes against the offending nation, there's a lot less collateral damage and innocent death. And the nice thing is you don't need a global government or global currency or carbon taxes or some Rothschild/Bilderberger zombie-wanker sitting on the throne in the third temple to make it work, you just need a legal and binding coalition.

Any leader that uses nukes should be held to account for terrorism and murder/genocide, tried in international court and if found guilty, hung in public for crimes against humanity.

Cheers - Dave

[edit on 4/18.2010 by bobs_uruncle]

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Why must confronting a nation based solely on their intent and ruthlessness have to be sidetracked with a baseless charge of "attacking for Oil". The USA has plenty of untapped resources.

Iran regime might play to the "peace, love, 'n harmony" crowd by stating their intent is to use this know how to spark up its civilian grid. In reality this Iran regime isn't about taking care of its civilians, we have witnessed that first from the countless stories of people trying to speak out and getting run down by the ruling party.

A nuclear Iran is not only a threat to its neighbors but a global threat.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic

A regime bent on terminating its own people for speaking out against it

Re: Iran..You mean like these? Notice how young those guys are..

www.mererhetoric.com...

Too gruesome to place here.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Some people need to start waking up from the "Flower Power" coma and get with the times. The world is not Sesame Place. There are regimes in this world that will do anything to place fear in the heart of others. Iran comprises of such a regime.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Humanity tends to gravitate, mentally, to the conditions it is accustomed to, so hard times bred hard men and soft times bred soft ones.

It's not a hard situation to verify, and I wouldn't worry too much about our "security".

We became a super-power for 2 reasons:

1) We were innovative, much of that innovation stemmed from need.

2) We were willing to use any and all weapons to inflict as much death and destruction upon our enemies as we possible could until they quit or were dead.

If those days come again, we will use what we have (which is a lot).

top topics

join