It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ash from Icelandic eruption may just be the start

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Source

Yet the Eyjafjallajökull volcano (pronounced AY-ya-fyat-la-yo-kult) is not the one most researchers have been keeping a wary eye on. Just a few kilometers to the east of the erupting vent is a much bigger and potentially more dangerous volcano called Katla. In the past, when Eyjafjallajökull erupted, Katla did too. So scientists are closely monitoring Katla to see if it, too, might go.

I'm sure many of you know of this already, but this is for those who don't. I'd hate to be living in Iceland right now, hell I'd hate to be living anywhere near an active volcano at all.

On a lighter note, apparently the ash will create red sunsets all across Europe. Kind of a crappy trade-off though, don'tcha think?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
How do you think I feel?

I live 300 miles from Yellowstone.

I know it's not currently "Active" but it still scares the crap out of me!

------

On Topic, this could mean serious disaster for not only Iceland but nearby nations as well. It could very well effect the UK more than anyone knows.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Yes it could be devestating for the UK in more ways than one.... One thing that does not get mentioned is the dust settling on lakes and slow moving water.. The nutrients in the ash would cause aquatic plants to grow exponentially... This would take all the oxygen content of the water and kill the fish stocks... Stagnation of the water supply making it undrinkable.... Albedo effects of the UV being reflected back into space lowering the earths temp or local temp which would have a knock effect on the whole with high preassure ALWAYS having to go to low pressure thus creating weird weather...

Interesting time...

join