It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cardinal hailed bishop for hiding predator priest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

VATICAN CITY, Apr. 15, 2010 (Reuters) — A Vatican cardinal in charge of clergy around the world congratulated a French bishop in a 2001 letter for not denouncing a sexually abusive priest to the police, according to a French website on Thursday.

In the letter dated Sept 8, 2001, Cardinal Dario Castrillon Hoyos backed French Bishop Pierre Pican's decision not to denounce a priest who was later sentenced to 18 years in jail for repeated rape of a boy and sexual assaults on 10 others.

www.newsdaily.com...

I have been saying this for days now. Most everything I have read seems to me that the issue is getting caught not the fact that children have been molested.

"I congratulate you for not denouncing a priest to the civil administration," Castrillon Hoyos said. "You have acted well and I am pleased to have a colleague in the episcopate who, in the eyes of history and of all other bishops in the world, preferred prison to denouncing his son and priest."

BISHOPS NOT REQUIRED TO INFORM POLICE

In it, the cardinal said relations between bishops and priests were not simply professional but had "very special links of spiritual paternity." Bishops therefore had no obligation to testify against "a direct relative," he stated.

This last part is just absolutely ridiculous. They are congratulating each other on not reporting it and not getting each other caught.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Got a link?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Got a link?

Cardinal hailed bishop for hiding predator priest:report
inform.com...

[edit on 4/15/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

[edit on 4/15/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This makes me sick. Any way you look at it the Church is not taking a strong stand against this. They are being defensive. If this was a business I was running I would fire all of the middle managers (Biships) who were ultimately responsible for letting this happen. They were/are too afraid of public image instead of doing the right thing. What would Jesus have done in this situation? It wouldn't have been pretty, I can tell you this. He would have cast out all of these criminals and got rid of all of the enablers and those who were more worried about public image instead of protecting the truly inocent. And what is the church doing now? The same thing that they always did, they're blaming the victims and those who are bringing this to light. Saying that "they are under attack". Pathetic. If you needed one more reason do see how evil organized religion can truly be, you need look no further than this ever growing scandal. Makes me want to puke.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Oops...Sorry. I had the link in there, but had to edit something and must have lost it. I re-added the link.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by amazing
If this was a business I was running I would fire all of the middle managers (Biships) who were ultimately responsible for letting this happen.

Wouldn't the implicated CEO have to go as well?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Hmmm...

wonder if they will use the "seal of the confessional" rule...priests told of crimes in confession do not have to report it...I think it's also accepted in the law, too. very scary and sick.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
G'day All,

I have said it before on the other post's, The Vatican should be dissbanded and the assets siezed to feed the world's hungry...

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee

Originally posted by amazing
If this was a business I was running I would fire all of the middle managers (Biships) who were ultimately responsible for letting this happen.

Wouldn't the implicated CEO have to go as well?

True, but looking at it as I just stepped into office to change things around. Let's take it a step further and say the new pope should be cleaning house right now. He's the leader the buck stops with him.

new topics

top topics

join