It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

T.Rex of Leeches Has Enormous Teeth-ewww!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/861f1e02038a.jpg[/atsimg]

A new T. rex of the leech world has been named -- one with ferociously large teeth, but only a tiny body and just one jaw.

This new leech species, Tyrannobdella rex, which means "tyrant leech king," was first discovered three years ago in the nostril of a 9-year-old girl by Peruvian physician Renzo Arauco-Brown. The child frequently bathed in lakes, rivers and streams in the Amazonian part of Peru and had felt a sliding sensation in the back of her nose.

Although its teeth only reach up to 130 microns high — a little more than the width of a human hair — "that's at least five times as high as that of other leeches," Siddall said. "And every one of the people who were found with these in the clinical cases had a frontal headache. Their teeth are big, and these things hurt."

www.foxnews.com...

The more I look around the net looking for UFO stuff, the more I find this type of stuff. And I like it. Never really cared about such things before.... I hope you enjoy.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
omfg..... what a nasty little bugger!

S&F, second line.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
That's what you get for swimming in the Amazon.... You gotta be nuts to be in the water there... Thousands of critters just designed to maim or kill you...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This deeply disturbs me

The child frequently bathed in lakes, rivers and streams in the Amazonian part of Peru and had felt a sliding sensation in the back of her nose.

"Sliding sensation"
I imagine it was a bit worse than that! Just the thought of that happening...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
For informational purposes.

This is what they look like.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by DaMod]

[edit on 15-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

Great pic (the outside look). Thank you for putting that up.

I wonder if these typeswould be better at any medical useage as I had heard there is somewhere on this great Earth where doctors are using them (again) for wounds etc.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
There's much more weirder stuff on earth than most aliens could ever be!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I was in the amazon in Peru, and I went swimming in the same lake I just finished piranha fishing in. No critters got me! Actually it was cool, we were hanging out in the village of our tour guide and they netted this fish that looked mega-prehistoric, with like an armor plating looking body. That was pretty cool. The amazon had some crazy stuff but hell, I was almost dissapointed it wasn't dangerous enough! You could hear a jaguar around the camp and I still wanted to go for a walk alone at night but they caught me. It was the wet season and the jungle was flooded and we paddled through looking for alligators, never saw any but heard the splash. My buddy was alone and touched a frog and his hand went numb, I kinda missed the part where that happened.

haha, it wasn't that bad. Quite nice actually. The villagers didn't seem too concerned.

That kid was just unlucky!

Oh also I had the most moquito bites I ever had in my life, bites on top of bites we're talking and I didn't take any malaria pills and I was fine. Where's the danger? There was even a kid with an anaconda wraped around his neck!... I think we kinda half wanted to find the guy with the eyepatch "i'll take you down the river, but it's dangerous, that's anaconda bush, it'll be 5000 a head, an extra thousand if you DIE"

But nah,, just friendly people and friendly critters, a crazy shaman and what looked like a second big bright moon (venus?). Fun times.

Unlucky kid! Don't let that sour your amazon experience though.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Ain't so bad. See?

img202.imageshack.us... " target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

I even drank the water. haha.. it was boiled though.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CavemanDD
I was in the amazon in Peru, and I went swimming in the same lake I just finished piranha fishing in. No critters got me!

Well the piranhas don't get everybody, only the ones they don't get write about it like you. The skeleton of the guy that got eaten by piranhas is rotting at the bottom of the river so he's not able to post his rebuttal to your argument about how safe it is, right?

I do think some of the dangers have been blown out of proportion, and obviously the locals face them daily, but there are still more dangers than most of us face though. But I did see where a jogger taking a rest break got eaten by an alligator in Florida, so if you don't pay attention, even in Florida you can be at risk.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

ha yeah. Actually I visited florida a couple of times when I was really young, like 10. And I was going to go fishing all by myself at this pond but my fishing rod was all tangled up so I changed my mind at the last second, but about a day later they reported seeing an alligator there, I don't recall whether they moved it or something, but a 10 year old boy fixed on one spot fishing, it could have been my skeleton at the bottom of the pond, after a gator rightfully digested it!

I hear ya man, for us it was actually a case of being upset that dangers were blown out of proportion. You can tell we were that desperate for something extreme or "X-treme" if you will, to happen. Actually I left a week before my friend and in that time he was mauled by dogs and 2 teenagers tried to run them who then proceeded to run off while he screamed (an on camera) "I'll kill you and your whole ##%%ng family!".. to which then some nice people picked him up and he failed to speak spanish. It's too bad I lost the videos, I was thinking of making a Peru tourism video. However I would have forgotten to include vicious nose slugs.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MOTT the HOOPLE
There's much more weirder stuff on earth than most aliens could ever be!

Agreed.........................
2nd

[edit on 4/16/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

new topics

top topics

join