It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eyjafjallajökull Caldera Eruption

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Newest news in Iceland are that:
www.mbl.is...
www.mbl.is...

I will translate some for you:
1. Volcano experts are closely monitoring Katla but she shows no signs that she is waking up.
2. They think that it is slowing down and it was explosive eruption (en.wikipedia.org...) but the other one last month was effusive eruption .
3. There is a chance that it could burst at some other place to, maybe in lower hills of the volcano.
4. Katla has erupted 1-2 years after Eyjafjallajökull so it could be awhile and wont happen in the same time as the others but experts say "it could be a couple of months but iut could happen tomorrow". -Is it better to have to all erupt at the same time or one after the other? For f.x. air traffic it could mean much longer effect if it would be a chain of eruptions.
5. the winds are not changing in the next week so if the eruption goes on it could last until next week or even longer.
6. They are telling people to be aware of the lightnings and telling people in the close area to stay at home because of the ash and lightnings.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by skjerulf]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
i'm sorry.. the post came twice

[edit on 17-4-2010 by skjerulf]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by skjerulf

Thanks for those photos, they are awesome, that must have been the best experience to have gone to see that. They're some of the best shot I've seen.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Qantas is now saying flights will be cancelled for a minimum of 10 days.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The news in the Netherlands just say: We gonna try to fly some from Airport Schiphol to Dusseldorf at low altitud with no passengers. They gonna look how it affect the motors from the airplane.
The wind is now south and not infecting the Dutch fly zone.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The BBC is saying things will get worse.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ni91ck
Here a some pics from Nasa:

earthobservatory.nasa.gov...

rapidfire

rapidfire

mod edit, attempt to fix links

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Thank you for this information. The jet stream has irregular flow in America (especially surrounding Lake Michigan) for about two years now. I don't know why...nobody talks about it. I live 5 miles from the western edge of the lake, and we get E winds @ 10-20 mph spring/summer...10 miles west, the wind is from the west and 10 degrees warmer temperature. I don't remember this ever occurring...seems unnatural

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ni91ck
The news in the Netherlands just say: We gonna try to fly some from Airport Schiphol to Dusseldorf at low altitud with no passengers. They gonna look how it affect the motors from the airplane.
The wind is now south and not infecting the Dutch fly zone.

That is not cool at all. No human should be put to such risks.

It's ok for people to be inconvenient temporarily. Only needs to work around schedules, chill out, or find replacements for crucial tasks. It's ok to lose some money under such circumstances, for money can always be earned back.

It's ok if flight operators bankrupt or lose their jobs. They can always find another job or create something new to meet transportation needs. At least they are still alive.

But for even one human to die, no money in the world can bring him/her back to life.

It is one thing to take calculated risks, and quite another to take unnecessary risks, when there is already enough scientific evidence to show how volcanic debris can affect engines.

The pilots are one of us too - humans. If they are to fly those planes, and would be kept updated on changing weather changes, they must at least be given a chance to survive - parachutes and hammers to break the cockpit windows to flee should the aircraft stall, keep the flight pattern to the coast so that the aircraft does not fall on habitated areas. If not, they should not be allowed to fly anything till the atmosphere is confidently assured of no volcanic particles.

Sorry to sound like a party pooper to those held up by flight delays, but human lives are more important than anything else.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Links are working perfect!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

I now, but the dutch say this on tv maybe a hour ago. I don't why they do that. The ashcloud is not that sensitiv anymore at low heights. So ther is some lower risk i supose.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Thats madness, the planes can fly low but as far as I know (I'm not an aviation expert) the fuel burn would be far too high, speed much slower than in the cruise, turbulence would be an issue on the air frame would it not? and birds (don't forget those!) plus the damn noise to all the people underneath it.

Crazy....

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
You now the Dutch are crazy!!!! I hope they won't do that, thinking of al the people that could being hurt afterall. Plainecrash in a city, many dead. No good idea!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
:-) lollll dutch are inventive!!!!

www.youtube.com...

proud to be dutch!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
lol yeah! :-) thing is though where are they going to land??? everywhere is closed so there's not much point to it unless its national only.

The Dutch are cool, Ruud Gullit and Marco Van Basten is one reason!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Just a picture to enjoy:
i165.photobucket.com...
Source: scienceblogs.com...

"Daring pilots approaching the melting glacier near Eyjafjallajökull eruption."

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Pampamz

Wow! that photo is incredible! the size of the planes compared to the mountain and thats "the small one".

Edit: There seems to be some confusion over which volcano erupted in 1783 causing severe global issues, it is not Katla but Laki, here is the history courtesy of Wikipedia:

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

"Consequences in North America

In North America, the winter of 1784 was the longest and one of the coldest on record. It was the longest period of below-zero temperatures in New England, the largest accumulation of snow in New Jersey, and the longest freezing over of the Chesapeake Bay. There was ice skating in Charleston Harbor, a huge snowstorm hit the south, the Mississippi River froze at New Orleans, and there was ice in the Gulf of Mexico"

"Consequences in Europe

An estimated 120 million tons of sulfur dioxide were emitted, approximately equivalent to three times the total annual European industrial output in 2006, and also equivalent to a Mount Pinatubo-1991 eruption every three days.[6] This outpouring of sulfur dioxide during unusual weather conditions caused a thick haze to spread across western Europe, resulting in many thousands of deaths throughout 1783 and the winter of 1784.

The summer of 1783 was the hottest on record and a rare high pressure zone over Iceland caused the winds to blow to the south-east. The poisonous cloud drifted to Bergen in Norway, then spread to Prague in the Province of Bohemia by 17 June, Berlin by 18 June, Paris by 20 June, Le Havre by 22 June, and to Great Britain by 23 June. The fog was so thick that boats stayed in port, unable to navigate, and the sun was described as "blood coloured".[6]

Inhaling sulfur dioxide gas causes victims to choke as their internal soft tissue swells. The local death rate in Chartres was up by 5% during August and September, with over 40 dead. In Great Britain, the records show that the additional deaths were outdoor workers, and perhaps 2-3 times above the normal rate in Bedfordshire, Lincolnshire and the east coast. It has been estimated that 23,000 British people died from the poisoning in August and September.[citation needed]

The haze also heated up, causing severe thunderstorms with hailstones that were reported to have killed cattle, until it dissipated in the autumn. This disruption then led to a most severe winter in 1784, in which Gilbert White at Selborne in Hampshire reported 28 days of continuous frost. The extreme winter is estimated to have caused 8,000 additional deaths in the UK. In the spring thaw, Germany and Central Europe then reported severe flood damage.[6]

The meteorological impact of Laki resonated on, contributing significantly to several years of extreme weather in Europe. In France a sequence of extremes included a surplus harvest in 1785 that caused poverty for rural workers, accompanied by droughts and bad winters and summers, including a violent hailstorm in 1788 that destroyed crops. This in turn contributed significantly to the build up of poverty and famine that may have contributed to the French Revolution in 1789. Laki was only a factor in a decade of climatic disruption, as Grímsvötn was erupting from 1783–1785 and a recent study of El Niño patterns also suggests an unusually strong El-Niño effect from 1789-93.[9]"

Laki is nearby to Katla...

[edit on 17-4-2010 by Temperature Drop]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
okay .. update one boeing 737 makes one round across holland...starting 19:15 local time....

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I doubt very much that any pilot would willingly sacrifice himself for science and fly a plane knowingly into a dangerous situation for himself or others. They're talking about a low level test flight over a short distance and then inspecting the engines. Thus giving themselves some accurate data for analysis with minimal risk.
Even the well documented BA flight that flew directly through the ash plume first they restarted all the engines secondly it didn't loose power instantly, they were fly for a while wondering what was hitting the windshield.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
dutch plane airborn.. follow it here!

www.geluidsnet.nl...

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join