It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Croatian girl switches to speaking in German after waking from coma

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm thinking this has to do with either Reincarnation i.e speaking German in previous lifetime or more likely as was already mentioned, some kind of spirit possession.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching4truth

What strikes me as odd is that I know I have heard of this before, yet when I goggle it, I find no reference.

Could it be you remembered this? LINK

It was the first thing that came to my mind when i read the OP.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The brain is said to retain vast amounts of information even though we dont use it. It only keeps handy what is regularly needed, and everything else is stored. But the color of that one ford on the interstate 5 weeks ago is not needed information, but the brain still stores it.

You don't know that this girl hasn't heard Germans talk before, visited there, or has a German friend or relative. If she heard conversations, and taken a few classes, rewiring to regain all that info is perfectly possible.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
The brain is said to retain vast amounts of information even though we dont use it. It only keeps handy what is regularly needed, and everything else is stored. But the color of that one ford on the interstate 5 weeks ago is not needed information, but the brain still stores it.

You don't know that this girl hasn't heard Germans talk before, visited there, or has a German friend or relative. If she heard conversations, and taken a few classes, rewiring to regain all that info is perfectly possible.

There is a lot of truth to this. They say the best way to learn something is to have it played for you via audio over and over again while you are asleep. I've always meant to try it but never got around to it.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
This is always fascinating, I've heard of cases like this before.

However, I should let you know that as a person who was born and raised in Croatia before coming to the USA, I can tell you that German is the most commonly spoken language in Croatia after our native language. In certain parts of the country it is rare for people not to have at least basic knowledge of German language. We watch German television, have German tourists all the time, teach German in schools as commonly as we do English and our neighboring country is German speaking Austria. People have been leaving Croatia for years to go work in Germany every since WWII, coming back every once in a while to visit their family and friends still in Croatia.

If she had started speaking Arabic or Portuguese I'd be more shocked, but the sheer exposure of every Croatian to German language, makes this less of an interest for me than people speaking languages they've never been exposed to.

Still fascinating though, what our brains are capable of.

Kharron

This explain and narrow a lot of other world explanations. lol

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
im just going to go out on a huge limb here and say:

this was an abduction error. she was abducted and they thought her primary language was German (because maybe it was the last thing she said before bed that night), while not taking the extra initiative to see how fluent she was and in the midst of reprogramming her brain she ended up with full blown German as her primary language.

she should have worn her foil hat.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jumpingbeanz
wish i could do that i'd get a mint job at being a translator

That would be a neat trick, wont it. But I think more than likely she or her mind brought back her own language from her past life.
Its awesome. Wish I could speak to her to find out more. Anyway godspeed to her and pray that she has fully recovered.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

This is highly possible and maybe more plausible explanation, than the rememberances from past life. Good thinking

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This girl had a blood poisoning, didn't say from what, and that's why she was in coma.

When you're in coma, your aura is weakened and you are prone for various entities to get attached to it.

This is the article in Croatian trying to explain it through scientific prism.

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Precognition]

[edit on 13-4-2010 by Precognition]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

However, I should let you know that as a person who was born and raised in Croatia before coming to the USA, I can tell you that German is the most commonly spoken language in Croatia after our native language. In certain parts of the country it is rare for people not to have at least basic knowledge of German language. We watch German television, have German tourists all the time, teach German in schools as commonly as we do English and our neighboring country is German speaking Austria. People have been leaving Croatia for years to go work in Germany every since WWII, coming back every once in a while to visit their family and friends still in Croatia.

Finally, an explanation that makes sense! I was hoping I wouldn't have to believe in past lives, alien abduction, auras, or speaking in tongues to explain this one. I'm always amazed at what i know without knowing it. Like the other day I saw a logo on some girl's sweatshirt and instantly this brand name I don't remember ever hearing of pops into my head. And when I google it later it's right. We absorb lots of stuff subliminaly, and it's there wehen we need it. SO I bet this girl did have alot of german vocab and accent in her brain ready and waiting.

Paul

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

i tend to agree with you on that.....

Eidetic memory, or photographic memory, is popularly defined as the ability to recall images, sounds, or objects in memory with extreme accuracy and in abundant volume.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

I ran into a girl a few years ago, about 12 years outside of high school. She said, your so and so. You used to meet your friends between this period and this period, under room 126. I stared at her, thinking she must of stalked me.
She then said: I have a photographic memory.

I feel kind of bad because I have the opposite. And barely can remember people much less classes and locker numbers.

In fact, that I can still get to my high school is something.

What an odd thing it must be to have a photographic memory.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Sorry I haven't read ALL the posts in here but my take on it is that she was studying it for a short while and her subconscious took in a LOAD of info but her conscious mind could obviously only remeber a tiny part. So in her coma, what MIGHT'VE happened is that her conscious mind brought forward all the stuff from her subconscious and locked it in her conscious and voila! She wakes up able to speak German.

Plausible? To me? Yes. The most plausible thing I can think of. I generally don't believe in reincarnation but then again I haven't really looked much up about it so it's a bit of a grey area right now.

But anyways that's the best I could come up with and I bet I'm right! Oh I bet I'm right!

Off to read the rest of the thread now. Just had to get my say in after reading the first few comments.

Peace!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

This is always fascinating, I've heard of cases like this before.

If she had started speaking Arabic or Portuguese I'd be more shocked, but the sheer exposure of every Croatian to German language, makes this less of an interest for me than people speaking languages they've never been exposed to.

Still fascinating though, what our brains are capable of.

Kharron

reply to post by kiwifoot

Thank you, this would explain some things like her huge vocabulary. Everytime she heard or saw something in german her brain stored that, after coma, every single piece of the information was perfectly sorted out and ready for use.
Furthermore we can't be sure about how fluent her german is ?
It would be amazing if it's absolutely fluent and they can't recognize if she's native german or not. Even if this is the case, it's still explainable.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Unless he/she flicked through most of the German dictionary and it got caught in their subconscious without them understanding it at the time, I don't really see a "logical" explanation...

There obviously is a logical explanation, but logical according to them, is like this narrow set of laws dictating this material and dimmed down version of reality which is basically no where near the real model of reality...

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mcrom901

dude (or dudette), that was an awesome youtube video. I love watching specials on people with seemingly super human powers. The fact that the human brain is even capable of such accurate and complex visual memory, let alone the man's ability to recall that memory in precise detail is astonishing. Imagine if we were able to use 90 percent or more of our brain....the things would be capable of. Thanks for the reply with video.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by togetherwestand

how is that?

I mean, if you start taking classes, you will start learning very basic things, it would not be possible for her to speak fluently

you just wouldnt be able to understand someone talking german in a basic class, you would take a lot of time ... you only would understand some texts in basic ....

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well, since nobody mentioned this, I will.
All of us have different ancestors, right? How different? Well, simply put one seed of wheat on a the first chess board field. That is you. Put two in the next - those are your parents. Continue putting double amount on each next field and you will have problems very soon with the space. So, you can use the calculator. Let's try a thousand years. if each generation had children on the average at the age of 25 (now young, but in the not so distant past, this was actually above average), if w divide 1000 by 25 we get 40. So, try, on your calculator to multiply by 2 40 times. This is the number of your ancestors in the last 1000 years. I know that people have been marrying with cousins (where I come from, it has been a strict rule not to marry your fifth cousin or closer). So your total number of ancestors is somewhat smaller, it may be hard to calculate. Still, this is a huge number, just for a thousand years. What about two thousand, three thousand? We will not even go there.
So, where do I go with this is obvious: Why is it not possible, and LOGICAL, that we may have some information passed on to us THROUGH OUR GENES? Why is it not even discussed, and all "scientific" solutions are mentioned?
They could even check the DNA of the girl and see if they can see some germanic origin (at least they claim they can do that, I am no expert).

So, my idea is that she simply has a part of her brain damaged, and her brain simply looked for the closest, most similar well preserved piece of usable code and - found it!

I can't wait for a bunch of "scientific" skeptics (on duty and amateurs) who will now proclaim this utter nonsense....and I will not argue. I just wrote this as I think it may be interesting to some members here. I have no illusion that I can beat the mainstream, nor will I ever try to. That is beyond my abilities.

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
What if her brain just recovered and is using all the stored German words she has ever looked at or read or heard and using it as a way to keep her speaking..

Like her brain photocopied every word and it still remains somewhere in her mind.

We don't really fully understand the brain, so how can we rule stuff out?

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Lucid, have you read the thread at all? Please read first, because what you are saying, several people already talked about. Nobody ruled that out. So why the rhetorical question then?
Nothing lucid about your post.

So, all my effort to suggest an interesting idea will now be buried under this meaningless discussion. Thanks, Lucid, good job. I feel stupid for trying, again.

[edit on 19-4-2010 by herbivore]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join