It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George W. Bush 'knew Guantánamo prisoners were innocent'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

George W. Bush 'knew Guantánamo prisoners were innocent'

www.timesonline.co.uk

George W. Bush, Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld covered up that hundreds of innocent men were sent to the Guantánamo Bay prison camp because they feared that releasing them would harm the push for war in Iraq and the broader War on Terror, according to a new document obtained by The Times.
The accusations were made by Lawrence Wilkerson, a top aide to Colin Powell, the former Republican Secretary of State, in a signed declaration to support a lawsuit filed by a Guantánamo detainee. It is the first time that such allegations have been made by a senior member of the Bush Administration.
Col
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
More and more proof that the war in Afghanistan & Iraq was all a lie.

The Bush administration lead us to believe that our military had captured terrorist who where behind the plot of 911. What I don’t understand is why hasn’t George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, and Dick Cheney never been held accountable for their sleazy role in fooling the world that Afghanistan did 911.

It really boggles me that we do not have any investigative reporters left in this country that really care about Truth.

I suspected this years ago, that our military were holding innocent people in Guantánamo bay, especially when I read that Iraqi police were being paid by our military $100.00s of dollars to turn over prisoners for money. It stinks of a moneymaking racket an opportunity for the poor Iraqi police, who just wanted to make money and get rid of the town troublemakers.

Should the American people continue to allow the past administration get away with abusing their political power by allowing the harming of innocent people to justified their greedy money making war for gaining control of foreign oil and opium fields of drugs?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-4-2010 by impressme]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Colonel Wilkerson, who was General Powell’s chief of staff when he ran the State Department, was most critical of Mr Cheney and Mr Rumsfeld. [color=gold]He claimed that the former Vice-President and Defence Secretary knew that the majority of the initial 742 detainees sent to Guantánamo in 2002 were innocent but believed that it was “politically impossible to release them.
Colonel Wilkerson, a long-time critic of the Bush Administration’s approach to counter-terrorism and the war in Iraq, claimed that the majority of detainees — children as young as 12 and men as old as 93, he said — never saw a US soldier when they were captured. [color=gold]He said that many were turned over by Afghans and Pakistanis for up to $5,000. Little or no evidence was produced as to why they had been taken.

www.timesonline.co.uk

This is what I was referring to about the money making racket.
Bush and Cheney would not let these innocent prisoners free because of their political agenda.
What does this make us? It would appear that we are the aggressors, don’t you all agree?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
No, they should be prosecuted, obviously.

If murdered someone ten years ago, should I be prosecuted? I didn't muder anyone btw

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by impressme

Good find S&F

The best place for war criminals, is there own prison, GITMO.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I am so freggin sick of these politician criminals
getting away with war crimes.

And if Obama doesn't do anything to bring
them to justice, then he is equally guilty.

They all committed treason

and they claim we're extremist??

they're more extreme than we are.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Yes, I am sure that all of them we're innocent. It's all Bush's fault, non of the blame on congress. If I'm not mistaken we have a bigger nightmare in the white house right now.
I'm sure Bush Drinks he blood of children too, he's the Boggy Man.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
learn ppl learn
When I say everyone should be tried people call me an appeaser

Learn Please!!!!

This man is a war criminal and he has so many fans
How different is Obama?

There is only a one party system
Wake Up America!

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
Yes, I am sure that all of them we're innocent. It's all Bush's fault, non of the blame on congress. If I'm not mistaken we have a bigger nightmare in the white house right now.
I'm sure Bush Drinks he blood of children too, he's the Boggy Man.

Bush , Cheney and Rumsfield all deserve Congressional medal of honors for their service to this country.

There is a movement afoot to recarve Mt Rushmore with their images. And a lesser monument for Condolessa Rice.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Target Earth

I think you meant BOOGY MAN. Yes ex-president Bush and ex-vicepresident Cheney are more evil than any pretend terrorists in Gitmo. They have sold our country down the crapper so their friends can make hundreds of billions of dollars. And they killed thousands of innocent Americans and Iraqis while doing it. When they finally arrive in Hell, Judas will be ashamed of their company.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I seek truth but dang reading stuff like this hurts. Firstly because I knew it before, and now it is out. Secondly because now that it is shared with the masses, will they care?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
What would be the motivation of holding innocent prisoners that live on foreign soil to begin with? This story doesn't make a whole lot of sense, unless of course these people were suspects or believed to hold the capacity/ties of killing U.S. soldiers/citizens. Hate to break it to you, but if that is the case (and it only seems logical that it is) then that's not grounds for war criminalization.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by yellowcard

Then you know nothing about a Human Beings Natural Born Rights.

I suggest you look into them, for they should apply to all humans.

To put people in GITMO you have to:

1) Know too much.

2) Be an actual Threat

3) Racial Profiling (sorry blacks and browns, not trying to be racist, mostly browns)

4) Patriot Act - No rights for anyone.

War criminalization has many factors that must be taken into account before dismissed so easily.

I will name a few.

1) killing off American's

2) Stealing Oil

3) stealing Poppy plants (used for Morphine, Heroine, Opium, and other stuff the U.S. corp. sells back to the people)

5) Population control

6) Treason Against America- From Pres. Bush Jr. and Obama

7) Water Boarding (used on victims so that confessions may be made, even if they aren't real confessions)

8) killing foreigners

9) Wrongful Imprisonment

The list goes on. The motivation for such things by the government was an excuse to invade Iraq and Afghan to fight AL-CIA-DA.

The real reason, it's all about the money. Always has, always will.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
This has been known for a long time, just not reported by the mainstream media.
It was nothing more than political expediency that kept many of these prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and other places. They had to show that the hundreds of Billions of tax dollars was doing something other than enriching the corporate cronies of highly placed government members, all the way to the top.
So, round up a few people, claim they are the bad guys, and lock them all up, without ever having to supply any evidence of wrongdoing - just take our word for it, would we lie to you?...etc!
Even worse is that they US were paying Afghan warlords bounty for "insurgents" captured and handed over. Quite a nice little earner for some - just pick up some poor random Joe and tell the US he's a Taliban or Al Qaida fighter and ....BINGO! (cash please, no cheques!)
In any other time / place, that would just not fly and any judge would throw out such cases, and rightly so.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quickfix

Then you know nothing about a Human Beings Natural Born Rights.

I'm all for natural rights, but you're just drawing lines with no proof, they may not be guilty of a "crime" but criminal intent could easily be enough for jailing (agree with it or not, under the current U.S. legal system, not even on the battlefield you can be arrested for criminal intent (see death threats against Congressmen). Not indefinite jailing, that's an argument but this "knew they were innocent" is not grounds for anything. Also, I suggest you read up on Afghanistan, because the U.S. doesn't buy their poppy, their (afghan) government destroys a a lot of the lots...except their government is so embedded in the poppy trade that they only destroy the fields of the poorest afghans and let the war lords keep their poppy fields. If anything poppy plants are definitely not in the U.S.'s best interest, and I'm sure they'd love to burn all of their fields. The oil is Iraq has been sold to China (exclusively if I'm not mistaken), not the U.S....we really stole that oil!

[edit on 9-4-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Afghans and Pakistanis were aware of this fact..

My relatives who lived in Peshawer refugee camps were well aware of this fact, and I heard it many times during the visits..

Turned out to be true. Well if they won't get punished in this life, I wish all those, and all those who won't punish them go to hell in the next life..

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

All the proof you need is right in front of your face, just open your eyes.

I couldn't have listed it any better then what I typed previously, if is not enough, then no proof will ever be enough for you sir.

I suggest re-reading what i posted, because it seems like you only read a little bit.

edited to add the following:If you want links to evidence of my claims, search ATS, You can find evidence of all sorts on ATS. just type it in

Although if you want links, start at my signature to see what you are dealing with.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
When you think about it, this was a near brilliant move.

How can you fight a "war without end" if the other side can't get new recruits?

After all, it would be very hard to keep the "military industrial conspiracy" going for more than a few months when your armies are able to roll over a bunch of half supplied and half trained criminialized civilians?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Unless they can pin it on the Butler, nothing's going to happen.

El-Busho signed his own get out of jail free card. It's going to take somebody
with an awefully big pair of b...s to recind that. Obama's in the Box seat, still
can't see that happening.

And under the Law written after they were detained, the US Government
can hold who ever they want, for as long they want for even being suspected
as a Terrorist. So under this law, they have done nothing wrong.

And that would also make all those that voted for this law in congress
also guilty of crimes against humanity.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
As reported in Australia

Bush 'knew Guantanamo prisoners were innocent' - report From correspondents in London From: AFP April 09, 2010 8:19PM

FORMER US president George W. Bush and his senior aides have been accused of covering up the innocence of many Guantanamo Bay detainees, amid fears releasing them could harm the "war on terror".
The allegations were made in a document by Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson, once chief of staff to Bush's first secretary of state, Colin Powell, in a lawsuit filed by a former Guantanamo inmate and published by The Times in London.

Colonel Wilkerson alleged Bush's vice-president, Dick Cheney, and defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld knew most detainees held at the US detention camp in 2002 were innocent but believed it was "politically impossible to release them".

They were also keen to avoid revealing the "incredibly confused" detention operation, Colonel Wilkerson said, claiming prisoners were often rounded up by Afghan and Pakistani forces in return for cash, with little or no evidence as to why.

He alleged then-vice-president Cheney "had absolutely no concern that the vast majority of Guantanamo detainees were innocent... If hundreds of innocent individuals had to suffer in order to detain a handful of hardcore terrorists, so be it."

Colonel Wilkerson, who according to The Times has been a long-time critic of the Bush administration's approach to counter-terrorism, said he discussed the issue with Powell, who left his job in 2005.

"I learnt that it was his view that it was not just vice-president Cheney and secretary Rumsfeld, but also president Bush who was involved in all of the Guantanamo decision-making," the newspaper reported him as saying.

Colonel Wilkerson's statement was filed in support of Adel Hassan Hamad, a Sudanese held at Guantanamo Bay from March 2003 until December 2007. He alleges he was tortured by US agents and filed a damages action on Thursday, The Times said.

About 183 detainees remain at the US military jail in Cuba, including dozens already cleared for release. Most have been held without charge or trial.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join