It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do global minorities make more money for whites, or do whites spend more on uplifment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I suppose this question should also include gays and women - do they make more income for the heterosexual system, or is it vice-versa?
I've read a lot on how Native Americans, blacks and others have had their cultural forms like music and fashion exploited by white establishment interests. I've even read that every time a female model poses, a heterosexual white male benefits financially.
On the other hand the conservative "white" establishment also supports all the politically correct "minority" causes.
Is that "establishment" even in existance, or is it a "straw man" played by niche markets and complicit individuals?

Is what the theorists claimed in the 1970s and 1980s still true? Is popular street culture co-opted by the upper class and their sell-outs, and changed into a mass commodity?

And by compassionate conservative standards, isn't that also creating a trickle down effect of wealth into poor communities?

So, does everyone benefit from the culture industry, or is it simply exploitation?

[edit on 7-4-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Pretty much sums it up.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Unfortunately my pc doesn't have sound, but i'll watch it tomorrow on one that does. The feeling I get is one of an elite who are multi-racial, and also manipulating in a multi-racial/gendered way.
But still one thinks of how Little Richard and Fats Domino were co-opted and soon their songs became hits when sung by white performers.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I suppose to focus on the postcolonial race issue one could also ask: did the Western lifestyle and modern medicine compensate for the land and mineral resources that were essentially stolen (but may also return as forms of social welfare)?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Alright I'll do the right thing and give a proper response.

IMO, (generally speaking) caucasians and jews capitalise off minorities more so than they give back, if you think about it in holistic terms. For every rich black person there is, there's a wealthy white man paying for it, or getting paid more for it, the music industry is a prime example, as is sports, so is hollywood.

I think Nas put it together quite well.
"We got enough rappers, athletes & actors. But not enough niggas in NASA"

As for western lifestyle and modern medicine, are we really any happier or just saturated with entertainment, do we really have a better quality of life, or just detached from our bodies.

Ancient cultures we're healthier.

All western civilisation has done for humanity is technological development, of which some has enriched our lives, and will probably one day lead to meeting people from another planet. That is the other side of the blade doesn't destroy ourselves or mother natures gifts in the process.

So yeah...

top topics

join