It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright water proposal to cut global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
29 Mar 2010

A Harvard physicist has proposed the Earth could be cooled by pumping vast numbers of tiny bubbles into the sea to lower ocean temperatures and increase the water’s reflectivity. The same strategy could be used in rivers and lakes to reduce evaporation.

The bubbles in turbulent water already provide “undershine” beneath the surface, and these contribute around 0.1% of the Earth’s reflectivity, or albedo. Harvard University scientist Russell Seitz’s proposal is to use ships to pump tiny “microbubbles,” about 0.002 mm in diameter, into the sea as they travel, in a strategy he terms “Bright Water”. Seitz said the bubbles would, in effect, act as tiny mirrors containing air, and could be created by mixing water supercharged with compressed air with swirling jets of water. This would emulate and amplify a naturally occurring phenomenon.

www.physorg.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/104bedc789be.jpg[/atsimg]

Sounds like an interesting solution, this wouldn't damage the oceans or the planet from what I can see, better this than fooling around with our ionosphere.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
i say just let the earth be.

i mean for crying out loud, maybe we could focus on not cutting each others throats for money and let the earth continue to perform on its own.

i was just biking around harvard last weekend, it's not full of humble scientists with no agenda believe me.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think we should erect a giant sunblocker in space to sheild us from the evil sun rays, and, failing that, we should fire every ICBM weve got at ol Sol, *hopefully* destroying it. If that doesnt work, well, i guess we should just kill every human being, seeing as we exhale 5 pounds of that evil deadly nerve gas CO2 everyday.

I mean, if we dont, the Earth might warm by a degree or so! Only reasonable solution!

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by vermonster

I also say leave earth alone, she did just fine before we came along and will survive when we're gone, can't blame her for giving us all this upheaval.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The problem with such "solutions" is there will be massive money to be made.

Say it was done, would cost billions a year.... And once it was implemented it would NEVER go away.... It would be a self-perpetuating machine evermore... wouldn't matter if the we entered another Ice Age... the corporation or government collecting a tax, whatever would NEVER stop because of all the money to be made.

new topics

top topics

join