It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Price of Beauty Products

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I work for a company that makes various beauty and skin products. Currently I manage one of the warehouses that weighs the various chemicals that is then compounded then made into popular products ranging from makeup, lotions, creams, ect. While in the past, my experience has been in IT, my management experience landed me my most current job.

I was in between jobs and was desperate for work, like many Americans, I took a job that pays enough even though great sacrifices needed to be made.

Since I've arrived at my new job, I've had to fight tooth and nail for basic necessities for my employees. Such as safety equipment, getting our ventilation system working, cleaning supplies, parking, proper training, ect.

When I arrived to my new job there were many things that I felt were perhaps unethical, unsafe, and possibly illegal that were going on at my company. Cleaning procedures were falsified, safety equipment was no where to be found, parking was not provided to the extent that some were forced into a neighboring private parking facility where some of my employees cars were towed. Some chemicals which were being handled were eating away at the latex protection, getting onto the skin, dust masks were not effective in ventilating small, light weight partials. Some particles left a sweet taste in the back your throat for hours. Note that I am in the same general area, not personally in direct contact with such chemicals.

What really got my skin boiling was the acids that are weighed. For example there is an acid that is of a sand like substance. This acid is so potent that it literally takes one grain to burn the skin. Despite everyone's best efforts, me literally haggling the company for safety equipment, training my employees with safety procedures, no matter what you do, a grain will touch the skin, some how. End result, acid burns to the skin.

I've heard all sorts of stories about how some spec of dust from this chemical burnt the skin, inflamed the sinus passage, got in someones eye where it bleed for a while. To my amazement, no medical attention was sought after because of the fear of loosing a job.

There is a common cough in my department. I got it after a few days of working my new job. I notice over the weekend my cough starts to get better, only to worsen when I start to work again. One of my employees reported he was pooping blood. I'm sorry for the graphic description but when I see a young individual having to go through surgery at such a young age, one has to wonder, at what cost, at what cost do beauty products have upon it's workers?

I figure it's only natural that such a superficial industry would treat their employees with such un human disregard. Where basic rights and protections are ignored and not considered. Where higher ups are so concerned with cutting costs so they can see a higher bonus check. I feel like I've entered into a 3rd world country.

I can not stay silent, my conscience will no longer allow it.

This company NEEDS to be exposed. I care not for the money they provide. I personally care more for the people around me and for my own personal safety.

This is a company that is obviously exploiting an immigrant population that thinks they do not have any rights or are too scared to speak up to do anything about it.

My concern is that these chemicals in the most concentrated form has an adverse affect on those handling the product and those exposed to it. That proper equipment isn't used or not provided. Also proper sanitation methods are not used and sanitation forms are falsified to meet government regulation.

Again, I can not in good conscience stay silent when I've seemingly exhausted every avenue to address in my concerns. It seems the cosmetic industry is self regulated and in my companies case, self regulation has failed.

So my question is this: Would you want that type of product on your face or on your skin?

[edit on 2-4-2010 by oconnection]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Great post. Thank you for describing the condition of the workplace, the suffering of the workforce and the dangers of the materials that are in our every day products.

What you're seeing is the front-line effects of dealing with these substances on a regular basis. Meanwhile the public sees those effects manifest in themselves over a longer period of time.

Somewhere along the line facts and truth about chemical substances get subverted into a beneficial twist for the using population but the only benefit is to the companies bottom lines. As long as products can be made profitable safety is rarely a concern.

Not only that but the lines of operation are blurred regarding these companies that work hand in hand with the big chemical company conglomerates. A lot of the time a beauty product chain will sell an item that eventually reacts negatively with the skin of some individuals (for instance) while another division of that same company uses different chemicals to "treat and address" that negative skin reaction, thus selling more products for problems they initiated.

This industry isn't alone in this twisted practice and most notably it is the chemical companies who are literally in partnership with the major food production and distribution companies.

In this instance we have chemical foods causing the same type of reactions your describing, often starting subtlety, but eventually plaguing a large portion of the population who in turn seek to remedy their symptoms with chemicals from the other side of the pyramid partnership, the pharmaceutical divisions.

What's important to understand is that these companies are in fact partnerships that work seamlessly under the same umbrella, ultimately using chemicals to first save money, then using them again to treat problems cause by those very chemicals.

The vicious cycle for profit is suppose to be shielded from us by the FDA. But for those that pays attention to the food and drug industry it's clear that the purpose of these regulatory bodies is to shield the companies from competition (that is from products that don't contribute to the profit cycle) rather than protect the public.

Whether it's the beauty industry or the food industry it all starts with the chemical industry and ends with the pharmaceutical industry.

To answer your question, no I wouldn't use or eat any of their products and I'll speak out against their practices every chance I get.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Thank God there are still people like yourself who actually care about the folks who work under and around them. Being an ethical person can be a tough job but you stick to your beliefs at great cost to yourself. Know that you are doing the right thing. There is no price on the health of those you save by making sure that they are protected. Should this cost you your job somehow God will provide for you.
Stick to your guns and I pray that all will work out for you and those you care for everyday. Great expose, what you describe most of us never know about unlesss someone like yourself blows the whistle. Thank you!

You are EXACTLY the kind of person I would like as a friend

[edit on 2-4-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by oconnection

Hey why not send an anonymous letter or make an anonymous call to the media or safety groups about the safety conditions of the place.

That out to stir something. . .

[edit on 2-4-2010 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeBrew

Thanks for your responses guys. It's nice to see that that there are people who are concerned.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Wow!

It is really nice to see someone who actually cares about their employees and not just the bottom line.

I am a quite the beautyproduct junkie, and if you could throw out a small clue about which company you work for. I would love to boycott products from this company.

Or do you work for a company that supplies ingredients for products?

When you think about it, the big guns in the beauty industry are really only a few parent companies. Estee being a huge gobbler of many different brands, Lancome too. Proctor & Gamble owns tons as well.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Kudos to you for speaking up about these things!

I would very much like to know the name of the company you work for, in order to boycott their products. I do however understand perfectly that you haven't identified the company since your job and income is at stake.

But if you are thinking about becoming a whistleblower, if you are prepared to carry that burden, I would advice you to start documenting everything you can about what is going on at your workplace. Keep a detailed diary, write down as much as you can, dates, names, situations and incidents. Take photos if possible.

The human memory is a unreliable thing, and you will need your notes and documention if you some day want to contact the media in order to expose this company. The documentation will make it much easier for you to be taken seriously by the people you contact, and it will also make the journalistic work easier if they want to start investigating this company in order to make the public aware of what is going on.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

posted on Apr, 2 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by oconnection

I've never been a fan of cosmetics, and after reading your story I'm even more firmly resolved against using them.

My heart goes out to you and your employees - no one should have to endure those sorts of safety and heath concerns in the workplace.

You might want to contact www.OHSA.gov and inform them of your companies negligence.

Best of luck to you.

*edit - fixed link

[edit on 4/2/10 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Just because poisonous materials are used in the making of said products, doesn't mean the products themselves are poisonous. As an example, STEEL is made through coal and thus carbon monoxide. But that doesn't mean steel emits carbon monoxide.

[edit on 3/4/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
ok most of US know these comp are and have been doing these things for years man you still see woman with furs and taht fights been going on for 60 years you think woman will louse one wink off sleep knowing people (whales) are being harmed so the can look better?
no more then men will stop drilling because a few k of costline is killed.
another job you may want good luck but you go yelling even that opption will be taken from u so my advice is look for cleaner work an d not make any noise
no one man can fight this system had jesus been born now he would be ignored

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
heck people here wont even take responisbilty for the mess they make to earth making clame man can make taht mess all the wile the oceans die the air gets so bad its yellow brown and green .
ever think about the fact we pee a poo in teh VERY WATER WE NEED TO DRINK in the zoo monkeys through poo at you in the prisions the humans through poo at you think about that

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxcalbier
ok most of US know these comp are and have been doing these things for years man you still see woman with furs and taht fights been going on for 60 years you think woman will louse one wink off sleep knowing people (whales) are being harmed so the can look better?
no more then men will stop drilling because a few k of costline is killed.
another job you may want good luck but you go yelling even that opption will be taken from u so my advice is look for cleaner work an d not make any noise
no one man can fight this system had jesus been born now he would be ignored

Nice, blaming WOMEN for what is undoubtedly old white men CEO's calling the shots at the top for this OP's dilemma.

Way to get our daily dose of misogyny into this conversation, and it did not take long. Page one.

I love cosmetics. I am not the one causing the OPs unsafe and horrid work conditions. That is a corporate decision.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I think your a very caring person. I developed a skin care acid line specifically for women 30 and over. It was lab produced with Trichloroacetic Acid. The stuff is very dangerous if not handled, compounded and discarded properly.

I REALLY hope its not my fav Oil of Olay!

I use my acid twice a year. Olay moisture cream and olive oil in the pm. Thats it.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by Bachrk]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection

I was in between jobs and was desperate for work, like many Americans, I took a job that pays enough even though great sacrifices needed to be made.
Congratulations, good for you.

Since I've arrived at my new job, I've had to fight tooth and nail for basic necessities for my employees. Such as safety equipment, getting our ventilation system working, cleaning supplies, parking, proper training, ect.

When I arrived to my new job there were many things that I felt were perhaps unethical, unsafe, and possibly illegal that were going on at my company. Cleaning procedures were falsified, safety equipment was no where to be found, parking was not provided to the extent that some were forced into a neighboring private parking facility where some of my employees cars were towed. Some chemicals which were being handled were eating away at the latex protection, getting onto the skin, dust masks were not effective in ventilating small, light weight partials. Some particles left a sweet taste in the back your throat for hours. Note that I am in the same general area, not personally in direct contact with such chemicals.

What really got my skin boiling was the acids that are weighed. For example there is an acid that is of a sand like substance. This acid is so potent that it literally takes one grain to burn the skin. Despite everyone's best efforts, me literally haggling the company for safety equipment, training my employees with safety procedures, no matter what you do, a grain will touch the skin, some how. End result, acid burns to the skin.

You are in management, correct? You realize there are agencies that deal with violations. Are you taking pictures and gathering evidence, or just posting on the internet about this?

I've heard all sorts of stories about how some spec of dust from this chemical burnt the skin, inflamed the sinus passage, got in someones eye where it bleed for a while. To my amazement, no medical attention was sought after because of the fear of loosing a job.

Thats stupid, and if I were the workers manager, I would drug test them. Most times workers refuse help for on the job injuries because they will pop dirty on a drug test.

I'm sorry for the graphic description but when I see a young individual having to go through surgery at such a young age, one has to wonder, at what cost, at what cost do beauty products have upon it's workers?

I figure it's only natural that such a superficial industry would treat their employees with such un human disregard. Where basic rights and protections are ignored and not considered. Where higher ups are so concerned with cutting costs so they can see a higher bonus check. I feel like I've entered into a 3rd world country.

There is so much in this section that just does not make sense or set right with me. This sounds flat out like you are making excuses for choosing to work at a cosmetics company. Hello? Makeup is superficial you knew what industry you were entering. What sacrifices did you make for this management job? And how many higher ups are there. You are part of the problem you describe, you are management or the man.

Either get your morals, gather evidence, quit and whistleblow, or accept your crappy job and quit whining about it. If it is as bad as you say and this isnt just you venting about "the price of beauty", why are you still there?

You sound full of contempt for the industry, so why work for them, and be part of the problem?

I can not stay silent, my conscience will no longer allow it.

This company NEEDS to be exposed. I care not for the money they provide. I personally care more for the people around me and for my own personal safety.

Baloney. You claimed you made great sacrifices to take this job! For the money the provide!

This is a company that is obviously exploiting an immigrant population that thinks they do not have any rights or are too scared to speak up to do anything about it.
Then call immigration.

My concern is that these chemicals in the most concentrated form has an adverse affect on those handling the product and those exposed to it. That proper equipment isn't used or not provided. Also proper sanitation methods are not used and sanitation forms are falsified to meet government regulation.

Again, I can not in good conscience stay silent when I've seemingly exhausted every avenue to address in my concerns. It seems the cosmetic industry is self regulated and in my companies case, self regulation has failed.

So my question is this: Would you want that type of product on your face or on your skin?

[edit on 2-4-2010 by oconnection]
Call OSHA.

Can you enumerate what avenues you have exhausted?

I will come back an expound on this subject after work.

Right now I have to put on my make up and get ready.

But if you are telling the truth, and this evil place needs exposing, why be a coward and not expose it at all?

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
Just because poisonous materials are used in the making of said products, doesn't mean the products themselves are poisonous. As an example, STEEL is made through coal and thus carbon monoxide. But that doesn't mean steel emits carbon monoxide.

If the purpose was to rub steel into your skin; then yes, it would be poisonous.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by StrangeBrew

I'm not sure what your point is? There are plenty of chemical reactions where the reactants are highly toxic, reactive, dangerous (etc) but the products are perfectly safe. Burning hydrocarbons creates water and carbon dioxide - completely harmless. On the flip side, plenty of reactants that are very safe can create very dangerous products. I am not familiar with the superficial industry, but just because the reactants are poisonous doesn't mean the final product is.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

My point is simple - if it's a synthetically made product to be rubbed into the skin or eaten, and the reactants are poisonous, then the end result is toxic to the body.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by StrangeBrew
reply to post by C0bzz

My point is simple - if it's a synthetically made product to be rubbed into the skin or eaten, and the reactants are poisonous, then the end result is toxic to the body.

Then you obviously know nothing about chemistry. If I have 2.000 liter of 0.250M Hydrochloric Acid, and add 20.00 grams of Sodium Hydroxide, will the product be dangerous? I am not claiming these products are safe, but it is a fact that if a manufacturing process that uses concentrated, dangerous substances then the product doesn't necessarily have these traits. Many reactions involving extremely strong acids create benign products. That is a fact.

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Well if you don't mind putting your postion at risk, I have one suggestion, that is all you need:

Make a call to OSHA.

While not one of the more scary agencies, say like the FBI, OSHA doesn't play around from what I have seen.

[edit on 3-4-2010 by nixie_nox]

posted on Apr, 3 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Oh WOW!
I am a female and a user of a few beauty products that are natural products (no added chems and so on).
Now, over the years I had used various products that were supposedly for keeping us ageless and also what was supposed to "help" keep our skin healthy and free of "toxins. The issue that I have found is that I now have to be very selective about the products I buy. I can no longer use run of the mill products like Esta e Lauder or Maybeline and so on. I have found that I have developed severe problems with my skin if I kept using these products. I developed hives and all sorts of problems. Hence the change to what I now use.
After doing a bit of research on what was in Makeup products, I was so shocked and disgusted that I almost threw away all of my products.
In this case, your response to the post really doesn't apply. These things, if you don't purchase the right product are highly toxic. The worst part is that they are always telling us stupid things like: There is not sufficient chems in our cosmetics to hurt anyone. IMO any amount of Chems, either in our makeup or food or water is not good. Its a SLOW poisoning. We have all heard of this before, add a little at a time over a long period of time, and bam, if you dont kill them you will give their offspring problems and then it all starts to roll down hill from there!

www.dulabab.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join