It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please stop the thread battles!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Today there have been many threads made to counteract each other do to opposing views. I know I am not a mod, but please leave the discussion to one thread! No more making threads just to prove a point of the other one. There is like an all out war between three threads on this whole religion thing.

Now there is one about how being gay is not a choice, countering the other thread. It's like a message board is not a message board, and titles are being used to argue... it's like a message board is being turned into a GIANT thread!

Please stop the madness!

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
/dusts off his boxing gloves...

Bring it on!!!

No just kidding, seriously good point. I don't think it is productive at all to be so adamant about proving people's opinions wrong here. A fact is a fact and an opinion is an opinion. People should learn to respect the difference, ad be more helpful than brash. Hell even I learned within a month of being a member here that there was a correct certain way to handle things and terrible ignorant way to deal with them as well. I appreciate when people offer advice and help. I like this community, and I too have been in the midst of a thread battle and not by my choosing.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Amen!! I have noticed this trend and people just need to learn to suck it up and post their replies in said thread instead of an entirely new one. This is ATS, people are not allowed to do anything if someone has an opposing view.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Agreed, I have it done to me as well. It seems to only be a star and flag fest and for no other purpose. There is already a thread, you don't need your own to boost your points or whatever, debate it there.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Yeah, the duplicate "in response" threads are pointless and should be alerted to the mods.

This is the easiest way to get them removed or redirected to the proper thread.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
We need mega threads, that merge together

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Yeah, the duplicate "in response" threads are pointless and should be alerted to the mods.

This is the easiest way to get them removed or redirected to the proper thread.

~Keeper

It really bothers me that the mods haven't done anything about this.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

I fail to see the harm if these threads are within the rules and I think that the contributions to these threads by the members have made for some fascinating insights into the psychology of all parts of the spectrum from the atheist to the agnostic and all the way over to the most passionate of the believers. I think that it would be the wrong thing and would not be denying ignorance if action was taken to stifle passionate debate on the issues that many obviously feel are very important to them.

For the record I have not posted in these threads and have no agenda in defending them other than no rules are being broken as far as I am aware and I have read them at length and found them to be very interesting. I am on the fence as though I am godless I can respect a believers point of view because I am one for free speech and objective debate if possible?

In general that makes a most welcome change from a recent rash of threads that add nothing to the point that they might as well be named -

“Would aliens go to MacDonald’s or burger king?”

"Do tinfoil hats really work?"

"Is my cat the antichrist?"

Also with the greatest respect no one is putting you into a headlock and forcing you to read these threads you are taking exception to

[edit on 31-3-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Yeah I agree but we need threads that keep arguing with each other, to merge into some sort of mega thread. In my opinion this would be easier to keep track of.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I don't even bother trying to start a new thread, not since the last time I tried and someone deleted it thinking it was a duplicate of another, which it was not. Too much regulation and discouragement and people won't even bother trying and will leave because it just ain't worth the hassle and effort and time wasted. I mean, would you continue to contribute to, lets say a charity, if they began complaining because you put 20 $1 bills into the contribution box and should have put just 1 $20 bill in their instead? "Hey man, that's just too many bills to count, can't you just drop a $20 in there?" Yeah, sure .. anything YOU SAY!

[edit on 31-3-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   

.......And if you do not like the thread you are looking at, by all means LEAVE, instead of getting your machete and decapitating it.....

This is the reason I hardly ever post although i am here much of my free time! We have nice people here, we have prodygies (sp), we have experts that really know their stuff, we have wanna-be experts, we have just about every personality type here. Type A, AA, B, X,Y & Z. The mix is nice, except all of the above at one point or another love to chime in and totally destroy what you posted.

Would you go inside a shop if you glanced through the window and you absolutely hated all the merchandise you see??? NO!

Would you go in anyway and tell the manager his goods suck? Probably no, because you walked in of your own free will.

So, how about people relax and let others do their thing?

/ over.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

You said what I had been trying to say and failed as I got all in a tangle (01:56 says my brain is squeaking). If I could star you I would as we are pretty much on the same page regarding this topic

*edit to make sure I filled two lines*

[edit on 31-3-2010 by SmokeJaguar67]

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

.......And if you do not like the thread you are looking at, by all means LEAVE, instead of getting your machete and decapitating it.....

This is the reason I hardly ever post although i am here much of my free time! We have nice people here, we have prodygies (sp), we have experts that really know their stuff, we have wanna-be experts, we have just about every personality type here. Type A, AA, B, X,Y & Z. The mix is nice, except all of the above at one point or another love to chime in and totally destroy what you posted.

Would you go inside a shop if you glanced through the window and you absolutely hated all the merchandise you see??? NO!

Would you go in anyway and tell the manager his goods suck? Probably no, because you walked in of your own free will.

So, how about people relax and let others do their thing?

/ over.

Thank you.

I have commented in one of the duplicates, yes... I was bored. It just frustrates me we are getting lack of quality due to people ranting, and making a second thread just to argue. Argue in the one thread is all I am asking.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

If you don't alert, they are not able to see it.

Mods can't be everywhere at once.

It's also a peer review process, everybody agrees on an outcome then one Mod takes care of it.

Also, if the other thread does provide some information that is valid, and truly shows another side to an argument, they'll allow it for sake of not destroying a potentially good conversation.

~Keeper

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Hey hey hey, Libertarians! What happened to "doing what ever you want so as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else?" Isn't this a key value in Utilitarianism, Liberty, and Freedom? (Read John Mill's On Liberty).

If you want to advocate freedom to do whatever you would like, and preach about it on ATS, you first need to let it happen here on the Internet.

Don't bug me about it, I'm not an advocate of free speech in the first place.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
what i really enjoy are the duplicate threads (often in the same forum) that have numerous one-liners or a "quote" followed by the one-liners that have basically said the same thing...used to be those got removed, what gives?

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx
Today there have been many threads made to counteract each other do to opposing views. I know I am not a mod, but please leave the discussion to one thread! No more making threads just to prove a point of the other one. There is like an all out war between three threads on this whole religion thing.

Now there is one about how being gay is not a choice, countering the other thread. It's like a message board is not a message board, and titles are being used to argue... it's like a message board is being turned into a GIANT thread!

Please stop the madness!

Oh now you did it i need to make a new thread. Why ATS needs more threads to give you both sides of a debate!

You know i couldnt help it your right it gets silly.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
Hey hey hey, Libertarians! What happened to "doing what ever you want so as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else?" Isn't this a key value in Utilitarianism, Liberty, and Freedom? (Read John Mill's On Liberty).

If you want to advocate freedom to do whatever you would like, and preach about it on ATS, you first need to let it happen here on the Internet.

Don't bug me about it, I'm not an advocate of free speech in the first place.

I never said they couldn't say what they want... just keep it to one thread. Like stated before on this thread they need a way of merging the threads.

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The Ego Screams:

"Me and Mah thoughts are very important, waaaay to important to be 'wasted' in someone else's thread. So what I'll do is start mah own thread and that will show teh peoples that I know what's what and they'll see how important I am ... that is a good plan!"

posted on Mar, 31 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
The Ego Screams:

"Me and Mah thoughts are very important, waaaay to important to be 'wasted' in someone else's thread. So what I'll do is start mah own thread and that will show teh peoples that I know what's what and they'll see how important I am ... that is a good plan!"

Pretty much spot on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join