It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My beliefs as a Pagan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I was asked by my sister (who is a devout Catholic) what my beliefs were as a Pagan. She wondered if I went to the woods to pray or was part of a Wiccan coven. The beauty about Paganism is it is a personal spiritual path. I do not like to use the word religion to describe Paganism as I always think of dogma when I think of religion (I know, not true, just how I think).

Here is what I believe fellow Pagans and Wiccans:

The Earth is a living being (Earth Goddess).

The Creator of all things is a Mother Goddess image in my mind as creating is a feminist concept to me.

The soul is immortal, and there is reincarnation. I am still searching on this one, but I do no that we do not die after my OBE.

I use names of Goddesses sometimes, but I do not have to. There are many forces among us that are supernatural in nature. Ghosts, poltergeists and other phenomena fit into this area.

I also follow the Golden Rule of do unto others, and believe that what goes around comes around. (All beliefs have this as a tenet in one form or another.)

Overall, my journey is always continuing, and I am enjoying it one day at a time.

I have a question to other Pagans and Wiccans as to what their beliefs are?

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Pagan is a word describing religion, not a religion itself. However, "Pagans" don't realize this and go on to claim things that have all the individualism of saying "I'm polytheistic."
Now Neo-paganisim is something different but still no more descriptive, that is modern day people doing their best to reconstruct to the bestof their abilities the old religions. Wicca is kind of pagan but wicca came much latter in the 19th century and even then it was just a modern day attempt to revive an older religion. Nothing wrong with having a belief system but if it is your belief system make it yours, do not call it something else to fit in with a group.

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

I like the word Pagan and choose to use it to describe my belief system. While it is true it has an official definition, it is a word that best describes me when I am asked my religious/spiritual beliefs. Many Christians use the term Christian and do not delve into their particular sect unless they are asked about it.

I am not going to use the term neo Pagan or any other one. Pagan suits me just fine as a word.

Thank you for your reply.

Edited to amend.

[edit on 3/23/2010 by kidflash2008]

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

That is really nice. I don't call myself any religion, and I do say I'm an atheist, but I share several beliefs with you.

The Earth is a living being
The soul is immortal
There are many forces among us that are supernatural in nature

posted on Mar, 23 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

People usually want a one word answer when they ask what beliefs people are. My sister asked me what I believed in, so I answered it. I like the word Pagan and it does describe an alternative view to me, so I use it.

You have some beautiful beliefs, Bene. Thank you for sharing them with me.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
One reason I have the name of Bastet on my Avatar is the Cat Goddess of Egypt has a lot of personal symbolic meanings to me. It does not mean that I worship at the altar of Bastet.

I thought I would clear that up for those who might wonder about it.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

I have been a Pagan that crossed into Wiccan some time ago.

My beliefs are that every living things has connections with each other. We are treat nature, people and animals with respect. My basic tenet is 'do no harm.' It;s so simple yet we as humans break this rule constantly. I believe in karma and it will come back for you if you deserve it (be it good or bad).

I am polytheistic in that I believe the Universe is a collective being and that there are many deities that can help you become part of the whole when you die. Deciding who to follow is a very personal choice and I think ti should be made by feel as opposed to just picking one being ok.

I believe the Universe was turned on one day and the deities only step in to correct little mistakes here and there as opposed to already knowing the outcomes of our life.

-Kyo

top topics

join