It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is God limited?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

These statements are based on one of two assumptions, though.

One, that God does not want to be known by us. This seems refuted by the surprising consistency in beliefs of certain characteristics of God across cultures. Almost as though there were certain attributes either inherently known by humans of God or certain patterns of thinking that unite the human race, which brings us to our next assumption.

Two, that there is no truth. There is no moral absolute, nor is there any Spiritual absolute. If that's the case, we can infer that there is no God, because if the moral and spiritual beliefs vacillate from person to person and each person's moral and spiritual beliefs are as legitimate and accurate as anothers', it would imply that God is something we've created and He doesn't exist.

So what supports these assumptions?

posted on Mar, 16 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Well Junglejake for the most part hit it head on. But first of all here's an example of human pride from not the OP but someone else/

" alittle more love and alot less torture "

that's the point. God IS love. that's why it's in you and not some evil person in jail, but yet what do us creatures do? rebel as usual.

Torture is done by our own free will and love of selfishness.

Now as for the OP.

God can do all things, but assume he makes a God stronger than him. Ok than what? It makes him a liar and a false creator since that God he made came after him which would make him a hypocrite which would make him as you call it imperfect which would be limited, so either way its a lose lose situation.

Now as for, why suffering exist.

Like Jungle jake said.

We can chose suffering ourselves. Pain is apart of our sins and to tell you the truth, suffering has helped me out tremendously in thie life. So much learned from it.

as for the innocent who suffer, their reward is greater in heaven. But don't rebel like the typical fall away, the things we dont understand of God he will show us after death.

peace.

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
First of all, props to OP on the username.

I know that the "is God omniscient?/problem of suffering" question has inspired a lot of debate and I think that some interesting points can arise because of these debates. However, the question is not a problem for me personally because of my view on what is meant by "God".

My feeling is that, if the concept of God is at all meaningful or real, it is so transcendent that any attempt to translate this concept into rational terms will necessarily fail. I remember having a conversation on the topic of God once and someone eventually arrived at the definition "that for which there is no symbol" as the closest rational definition of God. That definition more or less coincides with what I'm trying to express here.

I think the question of limitation/suffering arises because our culture anthropomorphizes God to the extent that "he" (as if that designation alone wasn't enough to prove the point) is essentially seen as another person, albeit a person with vastly greater power, love, intellect, etc. than everyone else. People then implicitly feel "if I were in that (God's) position, I wouldn't let other people suffer" and the debate ensues.

So to summarize, I feel that the the concept of God transcends rational terms to the point that the task of evaluating "God's power" or "God's knowledge" is an exercise in futility.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
If you are looking for a perfect answer...you won't find it. How can you possibly comprehend, or claim to comprehend something which we don't understand? From my understanding, don't take this to heart, God is not limited but is beyond all material things.

This means that he created everything and has no hopes of changing it. Therefore, he is limited because he does not want to change it.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
It is choice, god can choose to be one,
which excludes all the rest,
or can choose to be divided,
which excludes being god

that's why this world exist.

an all powerfull god, to be god, needs choice,
the total of possibilities are spread in between the choices,
all potential is not one choice, but a divided world,
and god picks what he wishes to be.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
in other words:

by choice god becomes one in the duality he needs to be.
by allowing him choice he needed to step out of his godness
into the lie, and choose to grow one or be in rest (false gods).

this allow god to be everything, even divided,
and still be god.

humanity is one body. and oneness can be avoided.

through us, god can live the lie, and die to his own truth.
so he can be one, only truth, and still be lie,
in him, included, not excluded. It makes God everything.

final

[edit on 19-3-2010 by pasttheclouds]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunIsSon
The authors whom fabricated the whole assumption of "God" that folks read in their bibles and other books are long extinct. Therefore, we are unable to ask them specific questions on their mythical creation of this divine figure. I think it is safe to argue that these ridiculous ancient books are completely inaccurate in its description of the true God if one DOES exist at all.

That's not true. Josephus wrote about Jesus.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join