It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Comet just hit the Sun!!!! (Update Asteroid or Comet is now incoming. 3rd impact)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
If the first and third were asteroids would that be able to explain why there was a CME produced by those objects, due to a solid core? And the chance that there would be deeper pentration to the surface before explosion or disintergration.

And as I have been told the second is definantly a comet, due to the luminescent tail as well as glow the object gave off. And thus as your analogy states. Would burn up like a tennis ball sized scope of ice cream, over a thousand degree Australia. And not really produce much effect as we saw.

I just have a hard time seeing how theres no correlation to the two none glowing objects, on the same trajectory. Striking the sun and subsequent CME's that follow, though once again just my opinion. And I'm no astronomer just an eager observer, with a google educated consenus. LoL

SaneThinking

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaneThinking
If the first and third were asteroids would that be able to explain why there was a CME produced by those objects, due to a solid core? And the chance that there would be deeper pentration to the surface before explosion or disintergration.

And as I have been told the second is definantly a comet, due to the luminescent tail as well as glow the object gave off. And thus as your analogy states. Would burn up like a tennis ball sized scope of ice cream, over a thousand degree Australia. And not really produce much effect as we saw.

I just have a hard time seeing how theres no correlation to the two none glowing objects, on the same trajectory. Striking the sun and subsequent CME's that follow, though once again just my opinion. And I'm no astronomer just an eager observer, with a google educated consenus. LoL

SaneThinking

Maybe one way to address your questions is to look in Spaceweather's archives to see what comments were made about similar events at that site at the time, and perhaps make comparisons with more recent events. SOHO has a page called "movie theatre" and you can use a start and end date, (preferable) to get a rolling set of pictures. The set of frame times you get are variable from day to day, and there are differentials between say, the different LASCO sets of frames. Spaceweather's pages only mention Comets in regard to this thread, that is not to say that their interpretation is the same as everyone else.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by smurfy]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

Have SOHO favorited for a bit now, but thanks for a point in that direction, to all.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grayelf2009

ps. I noticed a large flare just before that hit on the same side. Magnetic pull perhaps?

No, that was the missles being fired from the holographic comet.

posted on Mar, 17 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
The hottest part of our sun's exterior is the corona, ranging in at a million degrees... (27 million degrees Fahrenheit in the core btw) Melting point is WELL beyond ANY material in our system.

Here is likely how it goes: Large asteroid or comet vaporizes into dust in the corona, atomised debri is blown out by the solar winds.

As for the video: Wow. Very exciting to see this... I would hate to be on a ship that close.

[edit on 17-3-2010 by Foxe]

posted on Mar, 18 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Did anybody see the big Halo around the sun two days ago? It was all the way around the sun and almost had a rainbow look to it, but more faint. It was beautiful does anybody know if if this impact had anything to do with it.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by White2098
Did anybody see the big Halo around the sun two days ago? It was all the way around the sun and almost had a rainbow look to it, but more faint. It was beautiful does anybody know if if this impact had anything to do with it.

That would have been local to your position. High ice cloud layers or vapor cause that. Someone 100 miles away would likely see something different depending on the conditions and how wide an area it covers.

ZG

posted on May, 11 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
WOW! To watch it hit the Sun and then flare up was an awesome sight! THANKS!!!! ;-)
edit on 11-5-2011 by MamaJ because: spelling ;-)

posted on May, 12 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Here's the full animated GIF:

....taken from spaceweather.com
edit on 12-5-2011 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by skepticantiseptic

Yes the cause of more frequent and bigger CMEs is large asteroids(or even planet-size rocks) hitting the sun. The new interstellar local bubble we have recently entered has more debris and plasma particles in it(i.e. it's denser than the previous 1950s "empty" bubble we were in). As a planet-size rock nears the surface of the sun , a 250,000 mile long , fat thunderbolt vapourizes the surface of the incoming object partially before it plunges into and through the sun's surface. Neighboring magnetic loops snap the resulting cloud of plasma out into space at speeds that may approach the speed of light. Some effects of the CME are felt on earth in a few hours instead of the usual two or three days.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join