It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi School District Cancels Prom Amid Lesbian Date Controversy

page: 35
<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
As an art student I see a lot of "crazy" attire... but you have to understand that's who they recognize themselves as.. it is who they are inside. So she is supposed to deny who she is for other people?

it's not about getting on tv and blowing it up, she didn't exactly ask for that. She asked to go to prom the way she felt comfortable...

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Actually to me its starting to look more and more like a money making scheme. The $1 token dollar was to make it appear as a rights suit, when the aclu probably told her "don't worry the money will role in". This whole thing stinks, both sides could have handled it better. As an aside...Dr. Love, wow......you seem way too riled about this, t&c violations appy to everyone, and after all, this is just a website where people post thier opinions.......is anyones opinion on here worth blowing a gasket over?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
@hotbakedtater

This is a definition of "attention whore" from the urban dictionary:

Label given to any person who craves attention to such an extent that they will do anything to receive it. The type of attention (negative or positive) does not matter.

www.urbandictionary.com...

That's the way I understood Dr Love to mean it.
Just my 2 cents.

Edited to add link.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by jeanvaljean]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
...As an aside...Dr. Love, wow......you seem way too riled about this, t&c violations appy to everyone, and after all, this is just a website where people post thier opinions.......is anyones opinion on here worth blowing a gasket over?

This is news to me, at least quote where I "blew a gasket" or file a complaint so it can be dealt with. Staff is not above the law.

Peace

[edit on 19-3-2010 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I don't think you "blew a gasket", but I have to admit this statement caught me off-guard.

Originally posted by Dr Love
Yes, the wanting to wear a tux is what made her an attention whore.

Peace

Maybe it's just that I grew up with sisters and a mother that taught me to respect women...or that I have daughters of my own..But I have never been comfortable tossing around the adjective "whore" and I certainly wouldn't use it to describe teenage girls that I know absolutely nothing about.

They too are someone's daughters...And I can only hope that the "angels of restraint" would reach me quickly before I responded if some stranger referred to any of my daughters as whores.

Peace

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Several of your replies were really less than courteous, as well as down right inflammatory. I just recently recieved a 1000 point loss as well as 2 warnings for refering to Obama as Odumbo and Pelosi as Princess Nancy, far less inflammatory, yet that was called political trolling, apparently far worse than calling other people names or telling them to get the cross off of their back. I disagree with this whole lawsuit thing as well......however tact does come into play. I would think as a mod you'd use a little more restraint in your responses......or does that only apply to us regular members?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

The difference being that modifying politicians names is prohibited by Terms and Conditions. It is political baiting...the forum equivelant of making fun of someone's name on the playground. It is designed to provoke emotion, not discussion.

Dr. Love's comments could have been interpreted as "inflamatory", I didn't like his use of the word "whore" to describe this girl...but all-in-all it remained issue focused.

See the difference?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
reply to post by adifferentbreed

The difference being that modifying politicians names is prohibited by Terms and Conditions. It is political baiting...the forum equivelant of making fun of someone's name on the playground. It is designed to provoke emotion, not discussion.

Dr. Love's comments could have been interpreted as "inflamatory", I didn't like his use of the word "whore" to describe this girl...but all-in-all it remained issue focused.

See the difference?
Not really, it's the same thing. I realize I'll probably get the same "fine" just for posting the comparison. This mods comments were meant to inflame as well, or wouldn't have been used again after being pointed out.........t&c applies to everyone, and it shows poor taste and judgement when it only applies to some.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Let see what we have here.

This whore refuses to wear appropriate clothing.

So now she is not only a whore, inappropriate, and attention seeking, but now, she is an idiot who OF COURSE will have to run and tell her story on Ellen, the gay hosted talk show.

OK.

Whore, doesnt wear appropriate clothes, attention seeker, idiot.

You may want to stop while you're not ahead. Anyone reading this thread can see how you pick and choose and present things others have said out of context.

Peace

Out of context where? I quote so my responses will be taken in context to what I am responding to, is this what you mean?

I picked and chose all my responses to things that were said in the context of this debate.

I'll keep deciding when and where and how to post, and let the posters, like yourself, decide whether I have any merit or not.

But thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Ultimately it is just a debate, and I think maybe you might want to consider that you yourself may be reading WAY more into my posts than you need to. Perhaps I am reading more into yours as well.

I am not out to pick and choose, I am just here debating an issue I happen to feel extremely passionate about. You and others seem to feel the same way, or we all wouldnt be returning to check on the progress of this thread.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I see what your saying. I am just stating what may have been an underlying issue. They did not have to make a big to- do, and perhaps she was just seeking attention. I was just saying what might have gone through their mind.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeanvaljean
@hotbakedtater

This is a definition of "attention whore" from the urban dictionary:

Label given to any person who craves attention to such an extent that they will do anything to receive it. The type of attention (negative or positive) does not matter.

www.urbandictionary.com...

That's the way I understood Dr Love to mean it.
Just my 2 cents.

Edited to add link.

[edit on 19-3-2010 by jeanvaljean]

Thank you.

I know how he wants to use the term, but he managed to use the phrase attention SEEKING elsewhere. Taken in tandem with the other insulting language directed at the girl, it came off as a lame attempt to get in the slur of whore as well.

But like I said, maybe I was reading too much into this.

That is up for everyone else to decide themselves.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

...As an aside...Dr. Love, wow......you seem way too riled about this, t&c violations appy to everyone, and after all, this is just a website where people post thier opinions.......is anyones opinion on here worth blowing a gasket over?

This is news to me, at least quote where I "blew a gasket" or file a complaint so it can be dealt with. Staff is not above the law.

Peace

Truth be told, I think you got a mite subjective about your comments. I know I have been taking a stance opposite yours, and you might dismiss my comments for that alone...but I had to jump back in to say that you seem to bringing a lot of negative energy to the thread that isn't really supported by the facts as we know them. Such as labeling the lady an attention whore when it is at very least as as appropriate to attribute her actions to a sense of moral rectitude.

Sorry...your bias is clouding your common sense, IMHO.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Peace

Truth be told, I think you got a mite subjective about your comments. I know I have been taking a stance opposite yours, and you might dismiss my comments for that alone...but I had to jump back in to say that you seem to bringing a lot of negative energy to the thread that isn't really supported by the facts as we know them. Such as labeling the lady an attention whore when it is at very least as as appropriate to attribute her actions to a sense of moral rectitude.

Sorry...your bias is clouding your common sense, IMHO.

She's a teen-ager. You're saying she's doing this just because, to her, it's the right thing to do and not because she wants 15 minutes of fame?

And what does appearing on Ellen's show get her? Most everyone already knows about the issue and all she's going to do is re-hash it all. She and Ellen will cheer each other on as they verbally lambast the "evil school board" that did this to her and then they'll cry together on stage in a show of sisterhood that will surely grab the hearts of the nation.

Please. She's attention whoring this thing into the ground. I'll say that I told you so as soon as she appears on reality TV, which won't be too long.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Please. She's attention whoring this thing into the ground. I'll say that I told you so as soon as she appears on reality TV, which won't be too long.

Who are you to assume that she scripted this whole affair to play out this way? Are you going to slam the school board if they're interviewed by Glen Beck as having planned it out as well?

You take an interest. I take an interest. If a national program that thrives on controversy takes an interest...why do you assume she had it planned all along?

At any rate, I'm sure we just have a scared teen girl who had the guts to shine the light on ignorance in the hopes it would scuttle away under the glare. Kudos to her for her fortitude, and shame on those who demonise her for it.

Further...should the school board's actions prove unconstitutional...you still gonna sing the same song? Why not let the courts decide? Afraid of the decision?

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

She's a teen-ager. You're saying she's doing this just because, to her, it's the right thing to do and not because she wants 15 minutes of fame?

I don't know why that's so hard to believe. It could be either or a different reason altogether. We're all assuming what we think she's doing and why. One assumption is no more valid than the other.

And what does appearing on Ellen's show get her?

What did claiming her seat in the front of the bus get Rosa Parks? It was one more oppressed person, demanding that she have equal treatment. I doubt very much that someone who has never been a part of an oppressed group could understand what it means to stand up and represent the others in her minority and say, "ENOUGH"!

Most everyone already knows about the issue and all she's going to do is re-hash it all.

Most everyone did not know about this issue. No one on my dog board knew about it. I haven't seen it mentioned in the news. Thankfully, a lot more people know about it now that she was invited to appear on Ellen. That's what she got. Exposure.

I can't believe some of the same people who demand to know the truth about the government are thinking this girl should just quietly go along with repression and do what the authorities say to do and no make waves.

I SAY MAKE WAVES! Make as many waves as necessary to change the policy so that gay people are treated equally! Make waves!

She and Ellen will cheer each other on as they verbally lambast the "evil school board" that did this to her and then they'll cry together on stage in a show of sisterhood that will surely grab the hearts of the nation.

I posted the link from the Ellen show. You clearly didn't watch it. And if it grabs the hearts of the nation, GOOD! The nation needs to hear how the school system they support is treating its students.

Again, I don't understand the animosity shown in this thread. Some of the discussion has been very good, but these negative and hostile comments, I don't get. It's really puzzling and a bit off-putting, not to mention disheartening. I'm surprised to find so much animosity toward gay people.

[edit on 3/19/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Does anyone understand the anger toward this girl?

Does anyone understand the negative projection of motives?

The rules are in black & white that any date must be of the opposite sex. And the girl was told she could not wear a tux because the principle would not let a boy wear a dress.

This is clear homophobia and denial of equal rights of a minority group.

In my hometown the ACLU had to be called in to organize a Gay/Straight alliance in the high school - - - after being denied for 3 years in a row.

Sometimes legal representation is the only recourse.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

For me the problem with this not being just about rights is simple. She has attended this school for going on 4 years and now it's an issue? It seems kinda hinky when it's her last year, as well as this close to prom. Has the school changed it's policy in the last 4 years.....why is she now complaining?In the end the attention and monetary gain seem to be the end of it.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

She has attended this school for going on 4 years and now it's an issue?

I don't know. She approached the teachers with her request in December. And was denied. Perhaps she's only been dating this girl for a few months. This is THE Jr/Sr prom. It's not like a high school student attends one of these every year.

Yes, it's possible she just wanted to use her own sexual orientation to stir up some trouble for the school, but she has a 3.86 GPA... not the usual "type" to cause trouble just for the sake of it.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

She has attended this school for going on 4 years and now it's an issue?

Yes, it's possible she just wanted to use her own sexual orientation to stir up some trouble for the school, but she has a 3.86 GPA... not the usual "type" to cause trouble just for the sake of it.

But it's highly convenient for Ellen to award her a $30,000 scholarship for "making waves".

Nothing to gain, indeed.

posted on Mar, 19 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Nothing to gain, indeed.

Are you suggesting it was all planned out? Silly...very silly.

Never forget the words of the Prophet: With all this crap, there must be a pony somewhere

new topics

top topics

<< 32  33  34    36  37  38 >>

join