It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Staffers Warned to Stay Clear of Drudge Report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

In the very body sworn to protect and defend the Constitution, an e-mail is circulating warning U.S. Senate staffers not to view one of the most popular news sites on the Web, claiming it could spread computer viruses.

The Senate Sergeant-at-Arms, the chamber's official gatekeeper, said the Drudge Report, a news aggregator, and whitepages.com, a telephone directory site, "are responsible for the many viruses popping up throughout the Senate," according to an e-mail from the Environment and Public Works Committee obtained by FoxNews.com.

Another e-mail from a separate office warned that staffers who had visited the Drudge Report or White Pages had experienced viruses on their PCs.

"Please avoid using these sites until the Senate resolves this issue," the e-mail read. "The Senate has been swamped the last couples (sic) days with this issue."

But the Drudge Report suggested that politics might be behind the warning, noting in an original story that the e-mail came as the "health care drama in the Capitol reaches a grand finale."

The Drudge Report noted that it served more than 29 million pages Monday without an e-mail complaint about "'pop ups,' or the site serving 'viruses.'"

"The site was seen 149,967 times since March 1st from users at senate.gov and 244,347 times at house.gov. [10,825 visits from the White House, eop.gov]" the Drudge Report wrote.

Politics?

Or virus?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I would go with a virus. It seems fairly probable. it could even be an Ad that has some malicious scripting. And most viruses are stealth, meaning if your on a site and you get a virus from it, it might take a full system restart before you ever see any symptoms, which could account for people not informing drudge immediately.

But I do want to know how they figured it was drudge, and not some other widely viewed site. It seems if they had direct evidence of drudge hosting a virus, then they would present said evidence.

Who knows

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Politics?

Or virus?

Sorry...what was the difference again?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

I would go with a virus.

Well that does happen, maybe that is where I been picking them up?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Politics?

Or virus?

Sorry...what was the difference again?

Good one, LOLOLOL

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I could see how some would think the information obtained at Drudge would be considered a virus attack. Some, of course, call that education.

Maybe Drudge should do a report on the probable chance of a revolt breaking out if say a large legislative branch were to create a bill regulating something they have no Constitutional authority to be writing in the first place.

Bet they would tell the Senate Staffers that Drudge had been hacked by cyber-terrorists.

Nothing is out of bounds during this full court press

top topics

join